Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #15
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
So, if you use a noise meter app on your phone and drive around 45 mph, you're picking up 95 db? I've only used my noise meter app on my phone in my car, but mine reads in the upper 70 range, which is loud to me, but normal for this car.

I think the phone mic is reasonably accurate up to around 100 db or so, and I have a better meter in my tool box that I use for home audio.

If you set the meter for dbA, it's an A-weighted range to account for human hearing.

I honestly don't know how you're able to drive the car if it's really 95 db. That's as loud as a really noisy restaurant.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #16
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
So I had my 16 1LT at the dealership for the voice recognition/Mic issue...twice! The first time they applied a fix that is actually a service bulletin for most GM cars/trucks, but strangely not applicable to the Camaro, which was to install a block of foam over the mic. This was suppose to block out some of the ambient noise. It seemed like maybe it helped, but didn't explain why I don't have that issue in my 16 2SS, or why my 17 1LT didn't have the poor mic issue for the first couple months when new.

The second visit (today) they replaced the mic. I called my wife on the way home from the dealership while doing 75 mph on a concrete freeway. The decibel reading on my phone app was about 75 db. We could converse, but she said I sounded distant and still wasn't very clear.

All in all, I think there is an improvement, but not what I had hoped for.
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #17
LarsZ52

Drives: 17 Fifty Year 2SS
Just an update on where I'm at with this problem.

I taped off my windshield with no change.
I plugged the sound tube that takes sound from the engine to the passenger compartment with no change.

I now think it is probably the Goodyear F1 tires that came with the car. I have read a lot of people's comments about these tires. They have the same complaints as I do with only around 8,000 miles on them. Goodyear's warranty basically states don't drive them in less than 50 degree weather or they will be damaged and not covered. Seems strange for a car that has an Ice/Snow driving mode. Anyway I plan to ask the dealer to test this by swapping tires with another car. I will let you know how far I get.
LarsZ52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #18
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post

The second visit (today) they replaced the mic. I called my wife on the way home from the dealership while doing 75 mph on a concrete freeway. The decibel reading on my phone app was about 75 db. We could converse, but she said I sounded distant and still wasn't very clear.

All in all, I think there is an improvement, but not what I had hoped for.
This is how my '16 1SS is. The thing is, half the time it seems there is no problem and the other half, what you're wife is saying, is what people complain to me. It actually happened to me last night while I was driving home and talking to someone while on a medium speed road (45-55MPH). As soon as I came to a stop light, the comment by the person on the other end of the phone was, "What did you do? I can hear you perfectly now." I've had the same complain on some freeways/highways while doing above 60MPH. Oddly enough, I've had a scenario where I was driving across states, through a sever thunderstorm, at 50MPH+ without any complaint from the person on the other end...

It is a bit frustrating because my car is a stick and I really dislike having to disconnect from hands-free while driving.

On my 2012 Mustang GT, I only had issues on the highway, at speeds 70MPH+ and/or if it was windy. The mic was in the rear view mirror, I think at the bottom, on the back side. I ended up tilting the rear-view mirror away from the windshield if I ever spoke to people while driving on the highway and this eliminated approximately 90% of the issue (staticy/muffled reception on the other end). I've been in cars with the mic in the headliner console area without any problems. I thought the Camaro mic was in the map light/headliner console thing?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #19
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsZ52 View Post
Just an update on where I'm at with this problem.

I taped off my windshield with no change.
I plugged the sound tube that takes sound from the engine to the passenger compartment with no change.

I now think it is probably the Goodyear F1 tires that came with the car. I have read a lot of people's comments about these tires. They have the same complaints as I do with only around 8,000 miles on them. Goodyear's warranty basically states don't drive them in less than 50 degree weather or they will be damaged and not covered. Seems strange for a car that has an Ice/Snow driving mode. Anyway I plan to ask the dealer to test this by swapping tires with another car. I will let you know how far I get.
I have Conti ExtremeContact Sports right now and it hasn't changed the situation.

It's got to be a wind noise related issue. Whether it be directly or indirectly due to wind noise at a certain location. The odd thing is the OP saying his 2SS is fine. But the sound deadening between the 1SS and 2SS shouldn't be any different. Or... is it?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #20
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsZ52 View Post
OK, here's where I'm at.

I placed a blanket in the trunk area. Db readings now 90-95 but did not help with phone or voice command.

I replaced the microphone which showed no improvement.

I covered my outside mirrors with plastic bags and test drove, no improvement.

Next I plan to tape around the windshield edges with that white shipping material they use when shipping a vehicle from the factory. I'll let you know my results.

My thought on the high Db numbers doesn't mean we can hear them if the frequency is outside human range. The mic can probably pick up on a wider range. I hadn't noticed the noise level being as high so that probably explains it.
I believe there is a thread that attributes this issue to the windshield not being properly sealed all the way around. Mine works fine at all speeds. 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition Camaro also

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #21
LarsZ52

Drives: 17 Fifty Year 2SS
Hi everyone, here's where I'm at currently.

Car is at the dealer again, convinced them to try again.

It's either tires, wind noise (eliminated windshield, side mirrors, sound tube), or component issue. I asked the dealer to rotate the tires/wheels left - right to see if that helps. No word since Friday though.

High decibel readings on a meter does not mean all of it is in hearing range but can be still picked up by the mic/system. Mine is also fine when stopped or very low speed.

I'll provide update when dealer returns my call.
LarsZ52 is offline   Reply With Quote