Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-08-2017, 02:25 AM   #1
ShakeNBake2SS

Drives: 2011 2SS Camaro
Talking 2011 2SS rims and glass pack questions

Hey,

So a few months ago I found out my Camaro has staggered tires. This means it's pretty pricey for one, to put tires on and that I get half the tire life that I would if they were not staggered. So, I've decided to change the rims out to 4 of the same size when I'm ready for new tires. I'm also thinking about going down to 18" rims since tires would also cost a lot less. I'm just not sure if 18's would look weird or too small. Thoughts?

Next question,

I want to make my car sound better but I had my first kid last Summer so my disposable cash isn't as flush as it used to be. Obviously I can save up for a little while and get a set of magnaflows, etc. but someone mentioned to me that glass packs might be a more affordable alternative and would give the car a beefier sound. I'm not looking for Indy 500, just a little more growl for personal satisfaction while driving. Thoughts?

Sorry if my questions are dumb, I love cars and love driving them but I have zero mechanical knowledge.
ShakeNBake2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:30 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
ShakeNBake2SS....as far as your wheel/tire set up goes.....here is a good solution for you that many of us have done and it works great....AND you would only be needing to get TWO wheels. Go with a "SQUARED" set-up (all 4 wheels/tires that same size) by getting yourself 2 more REAR wheels like your stock SS wheels. They fit great with no issues at all. Then you have the same size, no issues of rubbing, and the handling actually improves.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
audiowhiz

Drives: 2005 Corvette M6
if you have a 2SS, then you have Brembos. 18" wheels will not clear Brembos.
audiowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You should instead be looking at tires that have a longer tread life, the Pirellis have a 220 wear rating, a z-28 has 70 wear rating.....I use over a 500 wear rating Toyo Proxes 4 + with excellent dry and wet traction that matches the Pirellis AAA traction and speed rating etc...but with more than twice the wear rating..... at what is like less$$$$$$ And the deal is if your not even clear on wear rating , speed rating etc..... you can read up, and know that yes a narrower wheel in front is better for turning etc.....and my tires are not side specific like the P zero..
Old 05-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Is this your DD? If so, the above suggestions missed one. I too have the staggered setup and my stock rims have A/S tires on it for the winter months. I decided to get a new set of rims and put summer on them. So I now have 2 sets to switch back and forth and in effect double the time between new tires. Now of course this all depends on how heavy of a right foot you have!!!(BTW - the TPMS needs to be reset each time but I am gettin the scanner for like $50 off of scamazon).

Now as for the exhaust...does WV do visual emissions? Per my sig the BIGGEST gain ANYONE can make on this car RE exhaust???? Get H/F cats...period. Car gets LOUDER and since I had dynoSteve send me a tune a decent increase in seat of the pants feel. Glass packs are old school...after H/F cats if you want more noise? Just do a axle back, I did the Doug Thorley that is essentially straight pipes but have really nice tips...just cut the stock exhaust and bolt these on.

Now you might think I am pulling your leg but i swear I floored it by an elderly lady on the HWY and her hair turned completely white!!!! ROFL.....under 2k she stays relativity "quiet" but get into? Pure NASCAR and LOUD....just be prepared for the inevitable exhaust drone if you go this route....peace out...
Old 05-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
Going to 18" rims with the same size tire will give you more tire, less rim, and make your handling not as crisp but will smooth out the ride for bumps. It will give a little more "cushin for the pushin".
Old 05-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Search the members classified and find a couple used stock 20x9's. Its your cheapest route. And shop around, you can find some really decent deals on 275/40/20.
As for exhaust...there are several inexpensive muffler swaps you can make......but its the dual resonator/cats that really rob you of better sound. The stock exhaust sounds pretty good with even a simple cat deleat. I know its currently out of your price range....but headers w/hiflo cats on stock system sound best for no overkill. Has a nice slight rumble increase at idle but really opens up nicely when you get in it. And no annoying drone at cruise. Just food for thought. Maybe waiting on exhaust till you can afford to do it right.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass packs, rims