Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #43
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
And if the keyfob batteries died while you were driving, you wouldn't want the car to shut down
This is one of the practical aspects of the functionality. You don't want the car shutting down unexpectedly (fob battery dies, kid drops key out the window, etc.).

The real reason, from what I've read, has to do with federal regulations, and the fact that a security code transmitted wirelessly can be considered a "key" for the purpose of satisfying these regulations. Once the code is received, the "key" has been inserted, whether the transmitter is present or not.
See S5.2.1 here:
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id..._1114&rgn=div8

This means the vehicle can't allow the "key" (i.e. the stored electronic code) to be removed while the vehicle is in Drive.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #44
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
My 15 Mustang would pop up, only did it one time, but I started and drove it having left the fob on the roof (dumb) but got to the destination just down the street and shut it off when I the notice "restart now or key needed". Restarted and headed back to find the fob laying in the street.

There's no manner of bad design or whatever you want to call it when it's all on the operator to meet their marks.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #45
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Maybe they should program the head rest to knock you up side the head until you realize what you've done. I sometimes wonder when I am moving cars around my driveway if my wife's Camry or my Caddy get jealous when I have my Camaro key fob in my pocket when I am driving them.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #46
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I don't see the problem if you treat the fob just like a real key and always put it in your pocket. If you toss it in the cupholder or a bag in the car etc. you're doing it wrong and setting yourself up for disaster....
Keyless entry and ignition are convenience features that allow one to do things they couldn't otherwise do with a normal key, so treating it a normal key defeats the purpose. For example, I don't have automatic garage doors. I have to get out of my car to unlock and open the garage and the keyless ignition is great for allowing me to do that without shutting off and restarting the car just to put it in the garage. However, sometimes circumstances happen that are unpredictable and/or outside of normal routine, and you inadvertently do things you wouldn't otherwise do. I once accidentally left my motel room key in the door all night. Driving the car without the keys in the car should have been an obvious consideration for the design team, and could have been easily dealt with with a continuous chime and dash warning as others have suggested.

Nigel

Last edited by Whitespeed; 07-26-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #47
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
My Nissan 2012 Maxima would shut off if you went more than 200 feet away from the car with the key FOB in your pocket.
That's weird. My 2011 Infiniti M37 you can drive as far as you want. Wifey drove 90 minutes to see her mother in RI and she's lucky I called her when I saw her keys on the counter. She was 5 minutes from arriving and being very stuck in RI

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #48
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Ford allows for one restart if no fob is detected. Not sure others do this, but the 2017 Flex I drove did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #49
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Ford allows for one restart if no fob is detected. Not sure others do this, but the 2017 Flex I drove did it.
My 2016 RS allowed me to restart it after my wife left with the key fob. She was over a quarter mile away so I doubt the fob was detected at that distance. I thought for sure it would not start.

Can anybody else verify this happening to them?
wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #50
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
I know this is an issue for rental cars....
A group of us were headed to the airport and as my flight was later, I offered to return the car that was not my rental.
As soon as I pulled into the heavy O’Hare traffic, the car dinged to alert me my key fob was not in car. Too late!
I told the guy at the rental and he just shrugged and told me to have him mail it.... then he turned it off! Lol.... I told him good luck starting it.... he said...oh crap!
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #51
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
A couple of years ago, I was watching a British car show, and a group of them were taking a trip on a newer American car (I believe it was a Chrysler?) to evaluate it.
They stopped to get a bite to eat, and while they were in the diner, one of them (not the driver) stepped outside, got in the car , started it up (the fob was in the drivers pocket and he was sitting in the diner, the car was out front) evidently the fob was close enough, and he drove off.

Right then I started wondering about the security/theft angle of the new push button start.

They never showed just how far he could have driven the car (he stopped just a ways away).

It'd be nice if the car would have automatically stopped once it got a certain distance and could no longer detect the fob.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 PM   #52
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
OK, so figure this one out. I drop my wife off at the door of a shopping center and then I drive out to the far reaches of the parking lot to park in order to avoid door dings. I shut off the car and then realize my wife took the key fob with her. I panic because I have no way to lock the car when I get out. So just for kicks, I step on the brake and hit the start button and the car starts. My wife was at least a quarter mile away inside the mall with the key fob in her pocket.
Maybe press the lock button on the door panel?
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:46 PM   #53
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
Maybe press the lock button on the door panel?
And lock yourself out of the car because you don't have a key fob or key to unlock the car?

Brilliant.
wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:06 PM   #54
97cavy22

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I don't see the problem if you treat the fob just like a real key and always put it in your pocket. If you toss it in the cupholder or a bag in the car etc. you're doing it wrong and setting yourself up for disaster....
So why not just have a regular key?
97cavy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:11 PM   #55
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cavy22 View Post
So why not just have a regular key?
The idea is to have the fob on your person at all times, just like you would a key.

Why not have a regular key? Because you have to take it out of your pocket. It's that simple. Except for those that have remote start, there's no reason to ever touch the fob when out and about. And I believe you can remote start with the phone app.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:20 AM   #56
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Tested a VW Passat, Auto Start would shut off when the driver door was opened. Seemed silly, but the posts on this thread explain the logic behind it.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote