Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
Kainzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Squeeling Brakes problem

So about a month ago, I put on new brakes (I actually got a shop to do it but I supplied the part) I did the bed in process for the brakes and it was fine for a good few hundred miles, now when I come to a stop light, 80% of the time I hear terrible, very loud screeching.

How do I fix this? I followed the bed-in instructions pretty closely but may have had some hiccups due to 5PM traffic D:

I hear you can shave the rotors and rebed, how much life does that take away from the rotors? (They are brand too new)

Brakes/Rotors I just got put on > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
If you really want too... Dissasemble, take sandpaper to the rotors and pads, reassemble with proper grease, and rebed the pads. I get noises every once in a while and live with it.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Kainzo

Heh, I get noises so often with these brakepads that I barely want to drive =/
Old 04-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
00 Z/28

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
You might have to live with it. My factory Brembos squeal all the time. Usually under light, low speed braking. Plenty of meat left on them and the rotors are straight and clean. You could try a different pad material.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I've gone through 3 sets of pads so far. The only reason I changed my stock ones was because I installed new drilled and slotted rotors. The set I purchased came with new ceramic pads and... why not, right?

Well, that set - and the next set I thought were going to be great because of the ratings - made some gnarly squeals. Then, I realized something. The roller skates. New set 1 and 2 did not have them.

I read up on that and learned that these 'skates' help with vibration, and I remembered I never had this issue with my stock set. So - here comes the 3rd set with the roller skates.

I added a little more than normal 'brake quiet' just in case, and lo and behold the noise was gone. The peace was music to my ears.

If your set does not have the 'skates' on, get some that do and add plenty of permatex if you've got a brake squeal problem.

Some people have sets that don't have the 'roller skates' and make no noise. Awesome... too bad I couldn't find a set, got tired of messing with my brakes. Me and my ride, the quiet braking more than made up for having to deal with those 'skates'.

ETA: just checked your amazon link. Yep, its the set I have. Great rotors, but the pads won't do it for you. Get a set with the skates on them.

And have your rotors turned (shaved) a bit when you get your new pads on. This will also help. No issue unless you keep shaving. A few turns will not hurt.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
What pads did you go with Spec? I'm about sick of the squealing so if I need a set with skates that's what I'm gonna get
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #7
Spec
Account Suspended

Here you go. Good pads.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
Gunmetal Speedster

Thanks brother you wouldn't happen to be the guy who gave it the 5 star review, would you?
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Old 04-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I have the roller skate pads and I was getting a slight bit of noise. It was easily fixed by being a bit harder on my brakes. Problem solved....these brakes demand to be driven! Lead foot those bad boys and drive them hard. They will thank you for it.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #10
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
you wouldn't happen to be the guy who gave it the 5 star review, would you?
lol, no... that wasn't me. I would also give them 5 stars though. Over a year and a half now noise free...

Let me also add that I did get my rotors turned when I went with set #2 with no skates that also didn't work (lots of noise). The Powerstop's looked nice, clean, shiny after they were turned... but the noise continued.

Brake Masters did the job of turning all four in about an hour.

When I got the TRW's, I put them in myself with a healthy dose of brake quiet, and that did it. Good luck folks!

Last edited by Spec; 04-18-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Go smash them and don't look back.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:08 AM   #12
Gunmetal Speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
lol, no... that wasn't me. I would also give them 5 stars though. Over a year and a half now noise free...
Bummer, I was excited to call you Dennis
Old 04-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Kainzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I've gone through 3 sets of pads so far. The only reason I changed my stock ones was because I installed new drilled and slotted rotors. The set I purchased came with new ceramic pads and... why not, right?

Well, that set - and the next set I thought were going to be great because of the ratings - made some gnarly squeals. Then, I realized something. The roller skates. New set 1 and 2 did not have them.

I read up on that and learned that these 'skates' help with vibration, and I remembered I never had this issue with my stock set. So - here comes the 3rd set with the roller skates.

I added a little more than normal 'brake quiet' just in case, and lo and behold the noise was gone. The peace was music to my ears.

If your set does not have the 'skates' on, get some that do and add plenty of permatex if you've got a brake squeal problem.

Some people have sets that don't have the 'roller skates' and make no noise. Awesome... too bad I couldn't find a set, got tired of messing with my brakes. Me and my ride, the quiet braking more than made up for having to deal with those 'skates'.

ETA: just checked your amazon link. Yep, its the set I have. Great rotors, but the pads won't do it for you. Get a set with the skates on them.

And have your rotors turned (shaved) a bit when you get your new pads on. This will also help. No issue unless you keep shaving. A few turns will not hurt.
Interesting... my front ones have the skates (the wheels that jut out?) the back ones dont.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainzo View Post
Interesting... my front ones have the skates (the wheels that jut out?) the back ones dont.

If they do, I recommend you get your rotors turned. This will give you a clean slate... add more brake quiet to your pads, and this should help, if not eliminate the noise.

My back set do not have the 'wheel's on them. The fronts are the bigger and longer sets that apparently vibrate more from what I've learned. All my noise was coming from the front end too, so the above eliminated my issue.

Take it in to Brake Masters or a good brake shop to get your rotors turned.