Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #29
TheDocKlopek

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Wow I had no idea they had this info. Glad my trial Onstar about to expire. Is anyone actually paying for this service? Seems a bit much, $40 a month?

Here's my lifetime report so far. OP is killing it compared to me. I did baby the car for the first month then thought to myself, wtf am I doing and now drive it the way it should be driven.

Look at that avg mph, gotta love Houston traffic.

Name:  OnStarReport.PNG
Views: 231
Size:  54.6 KB

I really need to step up my game.

Name:  OnStarReport 2.PNG
Views: 216
Size:  93.1 KB

Last edited by TheDocKlopek; 04-04-2017 at 10:42 AM.
TheDocKlopek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #30
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I removed my OnStar transceiver board the day I bought my car, in the dealer parking lot.

Far too much info strangers can get their hands on with OnStar even if you don't subscribe. So I took out the transmit/receive board.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #31
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
I get that this can be a little alarming. But, honestly, where/how you drive should be one of the last things you worry about. Some information that is already, and has been for years, collected:

Google - every single search you make and site you click from their search page, along with identifying information on your specific computer (location, registration, etc.). TOR gets around this a great deal.

Your ISP - every bit and byte that you send or receive via the internet. Passwords, photos, personal info, etc. Unless you have a VPN, you can't get around this.

Finance companies (banks, credit reporting agencies, etc.) - every purchase you make, CC you apply for, account you create, dollar you earn.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #32
MaroMayhem

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
I removed my OnStar transceiver board the day I bought my car, in the dealer parking lot.

I would like to more about a "how to" about this.....
MaroMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #33
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
I get that this can be a little alarming. But, honestly, where/how you drive should be one of the last things you worry about. Some information that is already, and has been for years, collected:

Google - every single search you make and site you click from their search page, along with identifying information on your specific computer (location, registration, etc.). TOR gets around this a great deal.

Your ISP - every bit and byte that you send or receive via the internet. Passwords, photos, personal info, etc. Unless you have a VPN, you can't get around this.

Finance companies (banks, credit reporting agencies, etc.) - every purchase you make, CC you apply for, account you create, dollar you earn.
Right, and you and I don't have much control over that.

We do with our cars. Remove the board.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #34
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Right, and you and I don't have much control over that.

We do with our cars. Remove the board.
Where is it? In my old G8, I removed the module that was clipped to my rear deck.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #35
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroMayhem View Post

I would like to more about a "how to" about this.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Where is it? In my old G8, I removed the module that was clipped to my rear deck.

It's technically called the OnStar radio board, made by LG. It's located under the glovebox. You kinda have to contort yourself a little under the dash but it's not hard to remove:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467634

Be advised: removing this board will render your OnStar completely dead. Just letting everyone know. If that's what you want, this is what you remove.

But you need to go down to board level removal, not the entire module, if you want to keep your bluetooth. If you just remove the whole module without taking it apart and removing the radio board specifically you will lose bluetooth.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #36
Tucsonas

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Black on Black
Where is this information I cant find it
Tucsonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #37
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonas View Post
Where is this information I cant find it
Just follow the directions in the thread I just posted
Old 04-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #38
pdiddy972

Drives: 2017 Corvette Stingray Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
That would take a subpoena and a lengthy justification as to why a court would require it. No cop on the street is going to be able to get that info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Seems even with a subpeona it's a violation of the 5th amendment. They're causing you (or in this case, your property) to help convict you. I doubt this would stand up to a Supreme Court test. In fact it's surprisingly familiar to a case that did go before the USSC that I correctly called the verdict on (which was unanimous) almost two years before the case made it to the USSC. This, despite arguing with some lawyers and others who didn't think it was a violation. I'm referring to the case of the guy who police attached a tracking device to his car, as they suspected him of dealing drugs (I think it was). Then they used that evidence of where he went and when to convict him. USSC overruled it.
pdiddy972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #39
Drew66

Drives: Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Agreed... Pop the antenna inside the Onstar unit used to be the way.
The information is still stored locally in the cars computer. It does take a court order for them to get it and probably wouldn't be requested unless there was heavy injury or death.

Drew
Drew66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #40
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMike View Post
State Farm actually will use this data if you are a customer and getting a 5% for Onstar use. Make sure you want to agree to share this data.......
Agree to share it..... and remove the transceiver!
Old 04-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #41
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i wondered about this this first time i took it over 100 mph.guess they know me now...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #42
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I wonder if dealers can look this stuff up if/when the cars appear as a trade in?
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote