Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-31-2017, 11:22 AM   #15
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
It's all about weight distribution. Reason why that spot is safe for a 4 point lift is because the weight is spread out more. Where it isn't recommended it to lift the car up from that point using a floor jack since you're putting more of the cars weight on that one spot.

Lesson here: Go by what GM tells you to use when you jack the car up.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #16
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
It's all about weight distribution. Reason why that spot is safe for a 4 point lift is because the weight is spread out more. Where it isn't recommended it to lift the car up from that point using a floor jack since you're putting more of the cars weight on that one spot.

Lesson here: Go by what GM tells you to use when you jack the car up.
+1
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #17
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
"Go by what GM tells you"

If we did that, there would be no Camaro6 forum. None of us would put on wider tires. We wouldn't have aftermarket camshafts, turbos, or any other engine bits. We wouldn't modify our cars in any way, because "GM told us" this was what the Camaro should be.

No one would be using Dexos2 oil because "GM tells us" to use Dexos1. No one would use aftermarket brake pads, because "GM tells us" to use only GM-approved brake fluid. No one would be using LED bulbs or similar, because . . . well, you know why. No one would be running E85, because . . . should I say it again?

My point is that "GM" didn't tell you to use those jack points. While we don't know which person within the GM hierarchy wrote that specific section, we can all probably rest assured that it wasn't an engineer. A marketer perhaps, who had to write it for the "average Camaro owner"? Perhaps a lawyer, worried about liability claims when some jackass uses the aluminum section right next to the steel? We'll never know.

But, until I start seeing these cars being delivered on 18-wheelers with lockdown straps hooked into the thin sheet-metal pinch welds, I'll continue to jack from the high-strength steel frame under the car.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #18
00 Trans Ram

While I'm ranting . . . the first mod EVERYONE should do to their Camaro is the "manual delete" mod. Where you take the owners manual and chuck it in the garbage can.

Also, let me say that I'm not upset with anyone here. And, I'm not even arguing with the people. I'm simply arguing against myths.

As I said, multiple people in here and other threads have said and even shown on videos "don't jack from this black area - this is soft aluminum". Ummm - OK - if it's aluminum, how is my magnet sticking to it?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #19
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
Not sure why you are ruining your own thread by turning it into a rant against GM.....

You have put up your point, let people make decision if they want to use it.

For me, GM made a very questionable design with pinch welds and bolt-ons provide a cheap insurance against screw ups.
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:09 PM   #20
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
i want a magnetic bowl now
Old 03-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #21
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM-FIFTY View Post
Not sure why you are ruining your own thread by turning it into a rant against GM.....

You have put up your point, let people make decision if they want to use it.

For me, GM made a very questionable design with pinch welds and bolt-ons provide a cheap insurance against screw ups.
Who said I'm ranting against GM? The owners' manual serves a great purpose. For people with little/no car knowledge, it's a good resource. But, for people with a little auto knowledge, it's more often a hindrance.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:22 PM   #22
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboi448 View Post
i want a magnetic bowl now
They're extremely useful. Working in your engine bay and need to keep track of bolts you remove? Stick them in there. But, my favorite is when working under the car. Stick the bowl upside down next to where you're working, then stick the bolts to the bowl. That way they're right in front of you, instead of somewhere near hour shoulder, behind your head, or under your ass on the ground.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:58 PM   #23
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
I can tell you first hand that the points you say you can jack by, if you jack by those points and your pad is not wide enough those will fold in. I had an older low profile jack that did just that. It was a round pad but it wasn't large enough. Bought some hockey pucks and cut them and they work fine on the pinch welds. Want pics to prove it?
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:15 PM   #24
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
What a mess. Look at where and what direction the structure is designed with regard to force vectors, and that will dictate which areas are acceptable for a jacking point.

This thread goes in the category of "if you don't know what you're doing, stop and take it to someone who does". Example of doing it wrong:

^^In the case of the Type 111 Lotus, there are 2 jacking dots and 4 jack-stand dots. Discount Tire here didn't do that.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #25
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
What a mess. Look at where and what direction the structure is designed with regard to force vectors, and that will dictate which areas are acceptable for a jacking point.

This thread goes in the category of "if you don't know what you're doing, stop and take it to someone who does". Example of doing it wrong:

^^In the case of the Type 111 Lotus, there are 2 jacking dots and 4 jack-stand dots. Discount Tire here didn't do that.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #26
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
..... .....
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #27
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT

Old 03-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #28
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post

Prime example of an idiot using a lift. Love to have heard his reasoning behind why he thought it was fine to have lift arms touching the body of the car.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote