Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #15
BlackMaro14

Drives: '14 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
1. Off road pipes will be slightly louder than hi flows. Not so much that you would be able to notice a huge difference. The sound will however be a little bit more raspy, but if you have NPP you will love it. At idle (other than start up) you wont have an issue with it. It wont be a game changer, so you should be set there.

2. You shouldn't have any issues with connecting the two!

Good luck!
Thanks buddy !
BlackMaro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #16
BlackMaro14

Im still open to your valuable opinion and expertise on this thread guys ! please continue sharing your knowledge with all of us and voice your thoughts on my question(s).

Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #17
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
To my ear catless LS3's sound like the old Z28 trans am race cars

It never gets old
Old 02-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #18
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Ehhhh I had catless longtube headers + muffler delete.

ZERO difference to me when I added highflow cats, except that nasty smell was gone at startup.

Car is still extremely raspy, maybe it's a placebo effect but I've heard my car with and without cats, there was no difference at all.

There's a lot of info back and forth but I think everything can be agreed that if there is a difference, it's extremely negligible ...
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #19
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Dude you keep the stock suitcase resonator and it will sound crappier and less loud and the stock mufflers deadening it more which both are very ugly pieces if you ever think about it go over the million threads from others upgrades to exhaust and those two with just your stock cam are going to make you sound a lot more like stock but the lack of cats will be not much for sound reduction along with long tubes sounding louder. I am sure there are clips on u tube of people, mainly guys ditching the muffler with a delete..also not legal as no cats BTW and raspy especially on a v-6 IMO what I have heard around here.... And you would see you can loose some weight with a better cross over and loose some of the rasp most likely with x pipe or just a H and not a resonator over it. But wanting to be able to be loud and being quiet is the providence of the NPP exhaust. Having your cake and eating it too...well not so easy.

Using headers ditching cats your going to tune it with restrictive stock exhaust and wish down the road you had done more most likely IMO. The l99 I had was way too quiet, and needed a trans tune, so just going to NPP on a manual kicked its arse so bad ....let alone being able to have decel popping.....

SO just do it dude, then you can go back from that later and ditch the suitcase and trash cans for a sound you most likely will be able to find online u tube you like as getting on it will always sound louder , its just better without the stock stuff especially when you look out back...... There is reason they were named stock trash cans and suitcases........and with high flow cats you can better control the AFR in the tune and deleting the smell and for me with a manual assist in decel popping( with a nice hot cat element), something a l99 is not going to be big on for cool sounds of the exhaust.

Highflow cats are very high flow... so noise difference not so much.... the days of pebbles in the cats is gone long ago... For good exhaust our cars need a good tunnel brace as the rattling of the stock trash cans and stuff is kind of ugly down the tunnel also IMO. Many people where I work have Camaros, even straight piped 3" but then again we don't worry about the noise so much as the final sound getting on it and improving the flow. Youngsters usually just cut off the mufflers to get more sound then they sound raspy and almost tin can vibration on a v-6 kind of nasty.. Investing in headers you got used .... are you in a smog area that sniffs your exhaust? Just a bunch of stuff for you to consider is all....
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1269302384

Last edited by christianchevell; 02-05-2017 at 08:39 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #20
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMaro14 View Post
Thanks buddy !
No problem man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Ehhhh I had catless longtube headers + muffler delete.

ZERO difference to me when I added highflow cats, except that nasty smell was gone at startup.

Car is still extremely raspy, maybe it's a placebo effect but I've heard my car with and without cats, there was no difference at all.

There's a lot of info back and forth but I think everything can be agreed that if there is a difference, it's extremely negligible ...
I forgot to mention as it probably goes without saying, no cats do give you a strong smell. But I don't think its unbearable, and other than a cold start I never even smell it to be honest But I agree with Dmpsix, the sound difference would be so slight that you wouldn't probably notice.

As far as your overall sound; I don't think any set up is gonna be too loud at idle for you other than maybe a cold start. I've had a longtube, no cats, muffler delete set up and now run longtubes, no cats, and the SW retro catback. Neither of them are loud at idle other than cold start. Even then it's not bad. Under 2000 RPM's they give a nice deep growl. After that it does wake up quite a bit. Sound is all interpretation though, what I think sounds good or not loud may be 180 degrees from what you think. If I was a betting man though, regardless of what set up you go with, nothing is gonna be too loud for at idle unless you cam the car So unless you have NPP (I don't remember if you do or not) I would have to agree with Christian a bit, might as well just remove the stock suitcases, I honestly don't think you would be unhappy with it. Especially if you went with a company that offers set ups with mufflers still included like some flowmaster, Borla, magnaflow, etc do.

YouTube is your friend! Just search around and see what you like. I know not all videos are of the best audio quality, but there are usually multiple people with each set up so you can get a pretty good idea. Best of luck with whatever you decide and remember, nothing is permanent!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #21
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
You'll hear the engine ticking a lot more, that's for sure.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:33 AM   #22
BlackMaro14

Quote:
No problem man!

I forgot to mention as it probably goes without saying, no cats do give you a strong smell. But I don't think its unbearable, and other than a cold start I never even smell it to be honest But I agree with Dmpsix, the sound difference would be so slight that you wouldn't probably notice.

As far as your overall sound; I don't think any set up is gonna be too loud at idle for you other than maybe a cold start. I've had a longtube, no cats, muffler delete set up and now run longtubes, no cats, and the SW retro catback. Neither of them are loud at idle other than cold start. Even then it's not bad. Under 2000 RPM's they give a nice deep growl. After that it does wake up quite a bit. Sound is all interpretation though, what I think sounds good or not loud may be 180 degrees from what you think. If I was a betting man though, regardless of what set up you go with, nothing is gonna be too loud for at idle unless you cam the car So unless you have NPP (I don't remember if you do or not) I would have to agree with Christian a bit, might as well just remove the stock suitcases, I honestly don't think you would be unhappy with it. Especially if you went with a company that offers set ups with mufflers still included like some flowmaster, Borla, magnaflow, etc do.

YouTube is your friend! Just search around and see what you like. I know not all videos are of the best audio quality, but there are usually multiple people with each set up so you can get a pretty good idea. Best of luck with whatever you decide and remember, nothing is permanent!
Buddy, i already have a Corsa Xtreme catback system, i just wont use it for now until i get another car as my DD and keep my maro as my "weekend" car so to speak cuz currently it is my DD and honestly why i want it to be near stock at idle sound wise is because of the cops, where im from you dont get tickets, you get your car impounded and lots of BS just for a little catback ... and we have random police checkpoints everywhere through my area, so i wanna avoid all this fuss and headache yet enjoy a little bit of my 6.2, thus my question.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:37 AM   #23
Gunmetal Speedster

Quote:
Buddy, i already have a Corsa Xtreme catback system, i just wont use it for now until i get another car as my DD and keep my maro as my "weekend" car so to speak cuz currently it is my DD and honestly why i want it to be near stock at idle sound wise is because of the cops, where im from you dont get tickets, you get your car impounded and lots of BS just for a little catback ... and we have random police checkpoints everywhere through my area, so i wanna avoid all this fuss and headache yet enjoy a little bit of my 6.2, thus my question.
Makes sense now, I thought it was the usual "so the neighbors dont hate me" you're definitely gonna be set with the xtreme, I heard that in person from a buddy who cammed his car and it sounds so nasty. But yeah, if you're in that strict of an area I would plan on doing headers and cats and just leaving the stock catback until you're good to bring out the Corsa. If you're keeping stock mufflers your set up shouldn't be loud in the least bit until you get on it.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Old 02-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #24
BlackMaro14

Quote:
Makes sense now, I thought it was the usual "so the neighbors dont hate me" you're definitely gonna be set with the xtreme, I heard that in person from a buddy who cammed his car and it sounds so nasty. But yeah, if you're in that strict of an area I would plan on doing headers and cats and just leaving the stock catback until you're good to bring out the Corsa. If you're keeping stock mufflers your set up shouldn't be loud in the least bit until you get on it.
Glad i could further elaborate .... so given the current situation explained, would you think catless vs catted on the stock l99 catback would make difference at idle? should i spend the extra money for a set of catted pipes, or would the catless ones i already have do just as fine sound wise at idle?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #25
Gunmetal Speedster

Quote:
Glad i could further elaborate .... so given the current situation explained, would you think catless vs catted on the stock l99 catback would make difference at idle? should i spend the extra money for a set of catted pipes, or would the catless ones i already have do just as fine sound wise at idle?
I'd say you would be fine with no cats. No need to waste the extra dough if you dont have to! As long as you dont have emission checks, you should be fine

Tags
cats, exhaust, headers, ls3, resonator