#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Exclamation Alternative fuels/Algae-oil

I wonder when we're going to peak with internal combustion engines. Sometimes I think we're there, but then, with continuous improvements we get, I start to think we're going to be forced away from fossil fueled cars way before we reach a zenith.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I wonder when we're going to peak with internal combustion engines. Sometimes I think we're there, but then, with continuous improvements we get, I start to think we're going to be forced away from fossil fueled cars way before we reach a zenith.
Internal Combustion and Fossil fuels are not directly related. Remember that.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:

All I know is I think we're going to have a Z28 we can be proud of and one I know I'm going to look forward to owning
Sounds like what I was hearing about 10 years ago with the personal computers when they got up to 100MHZ speed with 320meg hard drives....the "experts" said that was as fast as they could go and as big a hard drive as could be made..LOL they were very wrong...
Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Touche

Speaking of... WHY CAN'T WE GET SOME SYTHETIC ALTERNATIVE TO FOSSILE FUELS?! I'm sure they'd be more expensive, at least intially, but if they can do that with oils, and so many other things, why not this? Why can't we get something that produces at least the same power with less emissions for a reasonable price? My dad will say it's because of "Big Oil" but I'm not totally convenced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Sounds like what I was hearing about 10 years ago with the personal computers when they got up to 100MHZ speed with 320meg hard drives....the "experts" said that was as fast as they could go and as big a hard drive as could be made..LOL they were very wrong...
Exactly. I remember seeing how a single computer used to take up an entire room! Look at how far we've come!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Quote:
Ah yes. Did you happen to see the Mythbusters where they powered a car off of hydrogen gas? No fancy tricks needed; they just blew in hydrogen.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
Ah yes. Did you happen to see the Mythbusters where they powered a car off of hydrogen gas? No fancy tricks needed; they just blew in hydrogen.
mhmm. The trick there is that aluminum doesn't like hydrogen...it makes the metal very brittle over time, as I understand it, which is not a good trait in an engine. Plus, the volume of hydrogen necessary to make such a setup worth it is...significant for on-board carry. BUT!!! With the proper materials (ceramic/steel composites maybe?), and advanced technologies (carbon nanotubes...). Hydrogen IC engines are a real possibiltiy.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Exactly. I remember seeing how a single computer used to take up an entire room! Look at how far we've come!
I was watching a show on the history of NASA, and in it they said your blackberry has more computing power than the Apollo command module had...
Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I was watching a show on the history of NASA, and in it they said your blackberry has more computing power than the Apollo command module had...
LOL! Not my Blackberry. j/k

That's pretty amazing, isn't it. That's scary too...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
MontyCarlo

Quote:
Touche

Speaking of... WHY CAN'T WE GET SOME SYTHETIC ALTERNATIVE TO FOSSILE FUELS?! I'm sure they'd be more expensive, at least intially, but if they can do that with oils, and so many other things, why not this? Why can't we get something that produces at least the same power with less emissions for a reasonable price? My dad will say it's because of "Big Oil" but I'm not totally convenced.

Gasoline has extremely high energy density, and the energy it takes from us to pull it from the ground and turn it into fuel isn't much compared to the energy we get from it. The reason we don't use greener fuels or synthetics very much is they're simply not as good as gas in terms of bang-for-your-buck or sometimes safety.

Hydrogen, for example, is clean and renewable, but the only good way to get it is to take it from water, and doing that requires slightly more energy than you get from burning the hydrogen once you're done! Also, it's got a nasty habit of going Hindenburg on you. Biodiesel's an excellent fuel and with a bit of home chemistry you can get your car running off of used french fry oil, but this will only be cheap until it becomes popular and McDonald's starts charging $5 a gallon for used oil.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Well...first of all. "Synthetic" means "man-made", traditionally...So, Synthetic oils are misrepresented, because they are NOT man-made. What a synthetic oil is, basically...a highly-refined motor oil. It's a cleaner, purer oil and gets refined to have midly different characteristics from standard oil. It's not "created", though. It still comes from petroleum.

As far as an 'synthetic' alternative to fossil fuels...how's this?

http://www.greencrudeproduction.com/

My biggest hope for the world right now, believe it or not, is that this (^) takes off like a bat outta hell.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Well...first of all. "Synthetic" means "man-made", traditionally...So, Synthetic oils are misrepresented, because they are NOT man-made. What a synthetic oil is, basically...a highly-refined motor oil. It's a cleaner, purer oil and gets refined to have midly different characteristics from standard oil. It's not "created", though. It still comes from petroleum.

As far as an 'synthetic' alternative to fossil fuels...how's this?

My biggest hope for the world right now, believe it or not, is that this (^) takes off like a bat outta hell.
Oh yeah - I remember that from Horsepower TV, lol! They went to Royal Purple and they explained that. I still meant a completely sythetic, but I didn't say that right. Thanks for making that clearer

That stuff looks pretty cool!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:

+1

Algae is one of the fastest growing organisms on earth. So it could potentialy be produces faster than corn based ethenol. And produced in large enough quantities it could be cheaper also.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
MontyCarlo

Best of luck to the algae folks. I'm just worried it'll be stuck in development for decades like fusion power has been. They tried it before - I think it was the 70s or 80s - and couldn't get it to produce fuel efficiently enough or in high enough volumnes.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
+1

Algae is one of the fastest growing organisms on earth. So it could potentialy be produces faster than corn based ethenol. And produced in large enough quantities it could be cheaper also.
I'm not disagreeing, by any means, and I'm not really a conspiracy theorist, but this just make too much sense, lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"