Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
2010 Boston acoustics back speakers rattle? "Bulletin: can't fix, normal" ??

I took my 2010 LT camaro into the dealer this morning to have them check out a rattle coming from the rear speaker area that started happening about a month ago.. the rattle is only when the speakers are playing low/bass tones.

I just received a call informing me that they found a bulletin on the issue which states "it is normal for the speaker itself to rattle and make a vibration noise heard throughout the car" so they can't/won't not fix it.

This doesn't seem acceptable to me. The boston acoustics was a $450 upgrade for the LT version I purchased. I've had my camaro since march and the problem just started happening about a month ago, so it is not "normal."

Do you guys have any advice on the matter?

Thanks
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
chubrock

Drives: 2010 SS loaded
speaker rattle

Take a small piece of foam and wedge it between the black tab on the side of the speaker. The tab has #'s on it and says Boston Acoustic on it. Wedge the material in good and the rattle will go away. I know it sounds cheap but it works.
chubrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Turn down the bass.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
happend to me right when i bought it took it to the dealer and got it replaced

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
tjk_art

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badtie View Post
happend to me right when i bought it took it to the dealer and got it replaced
Probably before the bulletin came out. It seemed to be a rather recent one, but I can't be sure about that. He didn't let me check it over thouroughly, claiming "were not supposed to give them to non-employees" but I did catch the # of the service bulletin.

All it says is specifically "do not replace the speaker this is normal performance it will not fix the problem." Seems weird that this is "normal performance" if it didn't happen to me for almost 10 months and yours was fixed with a simple replacement.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
tjk_art

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubrock View Post
Take a small piece of foam and wedge it between the black tab on the side of the speaker. The tab has #'s on it and says Boston Acoustic on it. Wedge the material in good and the rattle will go away. I know it sounds cheap but it works.
Thanks chub, I will try that for now.. Are you talking about just a dense piece like you can get from a fabric store?

I asked the service tech if something of a similar nature would work and he said the speakers were already coated in from but it could work because the clips are why it rattles.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Goliath

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS L99 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubrock View Post
Can you take a picture? Thanks.

Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Heres the bulletin your refering to.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 09-08-44-017A.pdf (61.9 KB, 1422 views)
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
chubrock

Drives: 2010 SS loaded
Not to thick, I would use the foam you use to insulate around a door. I used a piece of sound deadning carpet, just a 1 inch x 1inch piece. Then went inside car wear the rear deck meets the side pannel in back and stuffed some in there also (i'll take picks tomorrow) takes away from small rattle inside of car
chubrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
tjk_art

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
Heres the bulletin your refering to.
Thats the one. Thinking about calling GM tomorrow to see if they can "alleviate the problem" for me.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I'm sorry to say this but more and more "it's normal" is starting to become a common response to many issues when I take in any of my Chevrolets in for warranty claims.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
I agree it seems the service representatives are getting extra lazy
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
tjk_art

I guarantee that no store would have much luck selling a multi-hundred dollar sound system if they made it know the system rattles during normal performance and creates a nice vibration noise during the low tones..

I'm giving GM a break for the holidays, but I will definitely call the # specified to escalate the issue.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Just curious (maybe I should start a separate thread)...

How do you have your audio controls adjusted?

I keep mine around (off the top of my head)...............

Hi: 7

Mid: 4

Low: 8

Balance: Center

Fade: Rear 1 or 2

I've found this to work the best for me. I listen to pretty much everything, but on some rap/hip hop albums I have to cut the low end down to 2-4 instead of 8. And on older, non-remastered rock albums (such as old Blue Oyster Cult albums), I'll crank the low end up to 12.