Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #57
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
"The car has a top speed of about 160 MPH" "1SS was clocked at 171 MPH"

Contradictory statement

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #58
1sspat
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2016 2SS, 6SP, NPP, MRC, NAV
Oh No!!

Saw this article on Fox News.

Minnesota speeder caught doing 171 mph on Highway 61
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/...on-highway-61/
Old 04-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #59
1sspat
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2016 2SS, 6SP, NPP, MRC, NAV
In his defense, I'm sure it didn't feel that fast!!
Old 04-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #60
Nataphen

Drives: None
^Haha!
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #61
Quiksilver16ss

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
Well if anyone wants to get famous, go hop in your SS right now and peg the speedo when u know there's a state trooper lurking!!
Quiksilver16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #62
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Back in 2005, I had just gotten my car (2000 Trans Am WS-6) back from the tuner/installer (Thunder Racing - before they went bad). It was the last time the car was going to be street legal, was making it into a road racer. Had rear wing, splitter, cage, no interior, 5-pt harness, etc. Was driving from Baton Rouge to New Orleans and got on an elevated portion of the interstate. No entry/exit ramps, no chance of wildlife, no trees, etc.

Looked ahead and didn't see a car. Could only see an RV about a mile behind me. Decided to see what it would do with 7+ miles of empty interstate.

Floored it and held it down until I hit the rev limiter in 5th gear. No speedo, but gear calculators tell me it was 181mph.

Then, I shut it down and returned to normal speed.

About 4 miles later, I see blue lights. I pull over, expecting to be harassed for having numbers/stickers on the car, no headlights (I had them) or something else. Turns out, it was a state trooper and he had just caught up with me.

He said he was driving behind an RV, when all of a sudden (I swear I'm not making this up!!) he, "Heard a sound like hell had unleashed all its demons!" He pulled around, saw my car fading away, gave chase, and just caught up to me. But, since he lost sight of my car, he couldn't be certain it was me. I told him it wasn't.

He said that if he ever saw me or my car on the interstate again, we were going to jail. And then he let me go.

I had a sticker made up for the rear bumper of my car, right above the exhaust, that said, "Here is where the demons are unleashed".

This was the Red Rhino in action.

00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #63
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Back in 2005, I had just gotten my car (2000 Trans Am WS-6) back from the tuner/installer (Thunder Racing - before they went bad). It was the last time the car was going to be street legal, was making it into a road racer. Had rear wing, splitter, cage, no interior, 5-pt harness, etc. Was driving from Baton Rouge to New Orleans and got on an elevated portion of the interstate. No entry/exit ramps, no chance of wildlife, no trees, etc.

Looked ahead and didn't see a car. Could only see an RV about a mile behind me. Decided to see what it would do with 7+ miles of empty interstate.

Floored it and held it down until I hit the rev limiter in 5th gear. No speedo, but gear calculators tell me it was 181mph.

Then, I shut it down and returned to normal speed.

About 4 miles later, I see blue lights. I pull over, expecting to be harassed for having numbers/stickers on the car, no headlights (I had them) or something else. Turns out, it was a state trooper and he had just caught up with me.

He said he was driving behind an RV, when all of a sudden (I swear I'm not making this up!!) he, "Heard a sound like hell had unleashed all its demons!" He pulled around, saw my car fading away, gave chase, and just caught up to me. But, since he lost sight of my car, he couldn't be certain it was me. I told him it wasn't.

He said that if he ever saw me or my car on the interstate again, we were going to jail. And then he let me go.

I had a sticker made up for the rear bumper of my car, right above the exhaust, that said, "Here is where the demons are unleashed".

This was the Red Rhino in action.

Nice, got lucky on that one.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #64
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
100 mph = 10 days in jail. Wow, that is serious! I got clocked at 114 in my younger days. I immediately knew I was busted and pulled over so they did not have to come after me. Probably saved me a night in jail.
I ran once. Doing about 100+ over a crest on a 3 lane rather empty highway, smokey on the right during day just finished up with a customer and I saw him pull out with lights on, hard.

I'm in my Eagle Talon Turbo, I see him throw on the lights (I was already 1/4 mile ahead) and know the state line is now less than 1 mile away over a crest where he can lose sight (they're not supposed to lose sight as the poster above mentioned) and an exit there that leads to MANY interchanges and surface roads.

I was taking the exit over the state line just when he crests the hill, only saw a flash of his lights as I took the exit. Got all greens to move over essentially 3 state roads (essentially this exit crossed over 3 state roads within 1/2 mile surrounded by businesses/buildings, so it's not like he'd be able to pick me out he was so far behind already).

I got lucky, I was stupid, and right then and there swore to never go that fast again on public roads. Still haven't 20 years later and took up going to the track shortly after.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #65
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Well at least people that drive fast pay attention, I worry more about the jackass doing 45 in the left lane while checking facebook. I guess being distracted or checking your email is not as easy to quantify as excessive speed but based on the quantity of people I see playing with their phone while driving I consider that a greater risk to my safety than someone doing a high speed run like this in the middle of nowhere.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #66
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Well at least people that drive fast pay attention, I worry more about the jackass doing 45 in the left lane while checking facebook. I guess being distracted or checking your email is not as easy to quantify as excessive speed but based on the quantity of people I see playing with their phone while driving I consider that a greater risk to my safety than someone doing a high speed run like this in the middle of nowhere.
Totally agree!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #67
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
100% right. Most of the slow guys on the road are the ones that cause all the accidents. Happens every day to, I get stuck behind somebody going 12-15 mph (this isn't even an exaggeration) and everybody stuck behind that person, including me gets frustrated and annoyed and tries to zoom around him/her. Impeding traffic flow should be punishable also.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #68
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Who here hasn't done at least 160 or more in their car. I have, but only twice and was never caught.

Poor guy. Probably just bought it and wanted to see what she would do. Bad move, but we all make mistakes.
You think it's cool to do 160 mph on a public road? What an ASS!
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #69
LordKevin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Corps View Post
You think it's cool to do 160 mph on a public road? What an ASS!
You are boring.
LordKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #70
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 SS LS3/LSA 620whp/630tq
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
I did 170+ the other day... In Mexico of course

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

620whp/630wtq. ADM LSA Conversion, E85, PFADT Tri-Y Headers into Borla S, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote