Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-29-2024, 10:58 PM   #29
LT14EVA

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankVA View Post
More background about my issue. I brought it back to the dealer the same day after discovering the oil smell. They put it on the lift and showed me that there was nothing there. I've given it 400 miles of driving to burn off whatever might have been there.

It only smells inside the car ... I can stick my nose right on the hood seam and inhale, there's no smell. After driving for about 20 mins and stopping at a light, there it is, replacing the pleasant smell of the new interior.
Put your nose up to the vents when not in recirculating and take a whiff. That is where the smell was coming from on mine after oil change. If so, I’d get kinder the car and meticulously clean around drain and oil filter area.
LT14EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:52 AM   #30
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Check for loose oil pan bolts. Was an issue on my SS but showed no leaks anywhere under the car or trailing around. Did my own oil changes at the time so there was no oil anywhere from that. It'd have the scent of burning oil on it for a bit after every change.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 12:18 AM   #31
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankVA View Post
More background about my issue. I brought it back to the dealer the same day after discovering the oil smell. They put it on the lift and showed me that there was nothing there. I've given it 400 miles of driving to burn off whatever might have been there.

It only smells inside the car ... I can stick my nose right on the hood seam and inhale, there's no smell. After driving for about 20 mins and stopping at a light, there it is, replacing the pleasant smell of the new interior.
Man, what you describe is exactly what I’ve been dealing with since my SS was new in 2016. Never could find the exact cause of that burnt oil smell. And believe me I’ve looked everywhere. Dealer couldn’t find anything either.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:47 AM   #32
HankVA

Drives: 2024 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for all of the suggestions, and letting me know that I'm not alone with having this going on.

Took it in today and the tech wasn't able to find anything. But, he did say that there were some stickers for inventory, I guess, on some of the exhaust components. He says that they look singed and are burning off, and that's his explanation for the smell.

If it goes on for much longer, I'll probably take it up to Hendrick and have them take a look at it.

Thanks everybody.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:16 PM   #33
HankVA

Drives: 2024 Camaro 2SS
Wanted to close the loop on this one ... the oil smell finally stopped. I've ran it a half dozen times without any burning smell inside or outside, so it probably was quite a bit of oil that was spilled somewhere. It took 600 miles of driving to get rid of it.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:55 PM   #34
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I’ve noticed the same thing after I’ve changed the oil, on all three 6th Gen Camaro’s I’ve owned. Lasts ~ 6-10 warm up cycles and goes away. If I were to guess, it’s coming from the area that gets wet around the oil filter (on the pan itself). I just wipe mine down really good and use no degreasers / cleaners.

I just take it as par for the course at this point.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:52 PM   #35
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
My god, the things I learn in this forum...

Direct injection is quirky! Random one off misses aren't actually misses if they don't throw a code, and injectors are loud AF!

To check the oil I need to do a whole at minimum 15 minute procedure with the dipstick to get an accurate reading! Duh! Shoulda known!

Hey, listen! If you randomly accidently get too much water down the heat extractor when washing, be prepared to freak the eff out about a bunch of steam coming from the engine when you start it up after. Don't freak out, it's just water, not coolant, I swear!

And now
Hey!! By the way, sometimes when you change your oil it'll smell like you've spilled god damn everywhere for maybe 10 cycles/ hundreds of miles.

I haven't experienced the last one yet somehow, but if/when it does happen, I will remember this thread.

......BTW, thanks everyone for all the questions asked and answered on these forums over the years. It's been such a help to look up my questions and find out things I'm freaking out about are kinda normal.
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote