Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #225
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Z View Post
Auto Temperature Setting
Better Lit Interior Buttons (garage doors, mirrors, etc.)
A/C Seats w/Memory Settings
7 Speed Dual-Clutch Automatic
All Wheel Drive
Why does everyone seem to think a DCT is an automatic.

A Dual Clutch is a computer shifted Manual Transmission.... completely different than an automatic, if anything it's Semi-Automatic..
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #226
Sweet Z

Drives: 2013 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Why does everyone seem to think a DCT is an automatic.

A Dual Clutch is a computer shifted Manual Transmission.... completely different than an automatic, if anything it's Semi-Automatic..
Obviously, because one does not have to use their right hand to shift gears manually. It is done 'automatically' to the driver. Fine, to get technical, 7 speed dual clutch computer shifted transmission.
2002 35th Anniversary SS
2010 2SS/RS Hennessey HPE600 Conversion
Sweet Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #227
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Wish list for things to change on 6th generation Camaro?

Quote:
Obviously, because one does not have to use their right hand to shift gears manually. It is done 'automatically' to the driver. Fine, to get technical, 7 speed dual clutch computer shifted transmission.
It's clear you've never driven a car with one because, even though a computer shifts for you (when you want it to), it is nothing like an automatic transmission in feel or reaction. If you are to buy a car with a DCT and approach it as if it is an automatic you will be seriously disappointed with it. It feels like you're driving a manual even when the computer shifts for you. That's the best way I can describe it. Also it's nothing like an auto because you have full control over what gear you want to be in. No locking out because you're at too low a speed.

Defiantly agree they need to get on board with it though
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #228
Peet

Drives: Chrysler Minivan?
Smaller. Lighter. Better fuel mileage. Perhaps I repeat myself!?
And a more serious instrument cluster.
Peet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #229
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
It's clear you've never driven a car with one because, even though a computer shifts for you (when you want it to), it is nothing like an automatic transmission in feel or reaction. If you are to buy a car with a DCT and approach it as if it is an automatic you will be seriously disappointed with it. It feels like you're driving a manual even when the computer shifts for you. That's the best way I can describe it. Also it's nothing like an auto because you have full control over what gear you want to be in. No locking out because you're at too low a speed.

Very unrefined...I think Porsche dropped it on some of their cars because, #1 - it couldn't handle the torque of High power engines...and #2 - low speed starts and rolling SUCK...

Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #230
dlluinstra
David

Drives: 2010 LT2 RS Red Jewel Tint
Move manual/tap shift of the automatic to the shift lever, just the move shift lever right or left to shift.
dlluinstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #231
Sweet Z

Quote:

Actually I have a car that has a double clutch transmission, and if you put the car in 'D' mode, it feels exactly like a quality automatic transmission. The performance of the transmission depends on what sport mode that you put the car in, and if you just leave it in the standard mode, rather than a sport mode and/or shift with paddles, it drives like an automatic. Perhaps it is a matter of semantics - the car itself does feel like it is performing like a standard/manual transmission (aside from the fact that it shifts much quicker than the driver could), but the experience of driving while on the phone and drinking a cup of coffee is like an automatic, as in hands-off.
2002 35th Anniversary SS
Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #232
Sweet Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Very unrefined...I think Porsche dropped it on some of their cars because, #1 - it couldn't handle the torque of High power engines...and #2 - low speed starts and rolling SUCK...

Porsche's PDK transmission is probably one of the top 3 transmissions on a production car in the world. It can handle the all wheel drive 911 turbo, and there are a lot of things tweaking on acceleration in that car. Would love to have something like that on a 6th gen.
2002 35th Anniversary SS
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #233
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Sounds similar to what I've heard several times. DSG-type gearboxes may work very well under racing conditions, but aren't (yet) always refined in their low speed operation. Apparently there still are situations that "catch them out".

I'm probably always going to be a bit skeptical about any computer being able to anticipate exactly what and how "enthusiastically" I am going to do next - when I don't even always know that myself until I'm just about to do it. I doubt that I'm alone in this. But that's what any computer-controlled transmission and clutch (or anything else, for that matter) is going to have to be able to do - consistently - in order to work smoothly all the time.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #234
Mr. Wyndham

In any case....I don't know how likely this would be. GM appears to have thrown their chips into a bet on the 8-speed Hydramatic family they're developing...if the rumors are true.

I'd still opt for the manual for the pure fun-factor...so I wouldn't really be bothered either way.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #235
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Actually I have a car that has a double clutch transmission, and if you put the car in 'D' mode, it feels exactly like a quality automatic transmission. The performance of the transmission depends on what sport mode that you put the car in, and if you just leave it in the standard mode, rather than a sport mode and/or shift with paddles, it drives like an automatic. Perhaps it is a matter of semantics - the car itself does feel like it is performing like a standard/manual transmission (aside from the fact that it shifts much quicker than the driver could), but the experience of driving while on the phone and drinking a cup of coffee is like an automatic, as in hands-off.
What car do you own? I drove an M3 and it was completely different than what your experience seems to be...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #236
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I'd still opt for the manual for the pure fun-factor...so I wouldn't really be bothered either way.
THIS. I don't even care if the auto is faster.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #237
Sweet Z

Quote:
What car do you own? I drove an M3 and it was completely different than what your experience seems to be...
Boxster Spyder (not spyder as in convertible, the Spyder model). PDK transmission. When in sport plus mode, it will hold the RPMs right up to the red line, and it will not shift until it is there. When it does shift, it is extremely quick; almost instant it seems. When in standard mode, it just shifts through gears like an automatic transmission. Slower shifts, not as high RPMs before going to the next gear. While I realize that it is an SUV, I've driven an X5 M, which I thought has the same transmission as the M3. It seemed very similar to the PDK, except it didn't have a comparative setting to Sport Plus.
2002 35th Anniversary SS
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #238
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
THIS. I don't even care if the auto is faster.
It's all about the driving experience for me. Speed has never been a priority, because I'm not winning money in competitions, and I'll never feel that .1 seconds different. ZL1 is the first manual-transmission car I've owned. So long as it's sporty and offers a manual - I don't expect I'll ever get an auto or even a DCT.

One is not "better" or "worse" than the other...it's a choice.

Quote:
Boxster Spyder (not spyder as in convertible, the Spyder model). PDK transmission. When in sport plus mode, it will hold the RPMs right up to the red line, and it will not shift until it is there. When it does shift, it is extremely quick; almost instant it seems. When in standard mode, it just shifts through gears like an automatic transmission. Slower shifts, not as high RPMs before going to the next gear. While I realize that it is an SUV, I've driven an X5 M, which I thought has the same transmission as the M3. It seemed very similar to the PDK, except it didn't have a comparative setting to Sport Plus.
Quote:
A lot of similar DCT / PDK / DSG transmissions marketed under the same names can be significantly different in feel/operation depending on the calibration and operating conditions.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation