Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-06-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
HTLady00

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Unhappy 2010 2SS Misfire Issues Service Dealer unable to help

I own a 2010 Camaro 2SS 47k miles that is at a dealer’s service department (since last Wednesday the 31st. I have only owned the car since May 2014.) I dropped it off because it had a third issue on Wednesday with misfire and stability/ traction control error. Thank goodness I decided to pull into a gas station to get off the road after it happened on the freeway because she then stalled.

The car has coded (all lights came on and misfired/ rough run) three times over the last 6 months, the last time was on Wednesday the 31st. The (3) three incidents thus far gives the following:
Misfire on cylinder 4 and tire pressure sensor error.
Misfire on cylinder 4 and tire pressure sensor error.
Misfire on cylinder 4 and stability/ traction control error.

When I dropped it off Wednesday right after the event (to the dealership) the check engine light was on. The car even stalled out as I drove into a gas station to get off the road right after the misfire event. I was 3 miles from a dealership, so I restarted it about 5 minutes later and took it straight to them. Check engine light was still on when I delivered it to the dealership.

The dealership service department says they can’t do anything for me at this time. They said they see the code showing for the misfire on Cylinder 4 and the stability stability/ traction control error. They say they “need to recreate the misfire event” and after they drove it over 60 miles they cannot recreate it. I explained to them that this has happened 3 times in total over the last 6 months, that the code is always misfire on cylinder 4, that it happens at highway speed of 50 to 60 mph, about 15 minutes or so into a drive and when it is cold or wet outside if that matters. Also I have noted that the car begins to run rough right before the misfire event. And that she has (a couple times) run a bit rough and has some (lifter knock/ chatter) at times but never when I take it in. (Yes, I have had the oil checked) I have taken the car in to be checked out three times now.

So far -and- the most recent event:
I took it to the dealer on Wednesday the 31st. They did not contact me as promised Friday with news.
I contacted GM and opened a case on Friday after not hearing from the dealer early evening; they told me to work with the dealer but they would be contacting the dealer.

My issue: today Monday the 5th, the dealer called and said to pick up my Camaro because at this time they can’t recreate the issue. I don't understand how recreating an issue that has happened 3 times and leaves codes for misfire on 4 needs to be recreated? Logic dictates that recreating it is not going to tell them anything more than they know now. Misfire on 4. So why? This is my only vehicle. I am afraid to drive my car now. If it stalls on the highway, like it did when I pulled over, I won’t be able to controller her. It will end badly for me at 55 to 60 mph. Any thoughts or help?

Last edited by HTLady00; 01-06-2015 at 12:53 AM. Reason: added mileage
HTLady00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Find a Cadillac dealership and see if they can do a better job. Believe it or not, I have had excellent results using Caddy dealers rather than Chevrolet only.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
HTLady00

I had the dealership drive it one more time before I pick it up.

11:00am Spoke with service writer. She said they drove the car one more time and it recreated the incident partially. This time no misfire. only lights came on. They say it is a wiring harness that is being rubbed by the weal or something near it. They say a hole has been worn in the harness and has rubbed the wires raw. She quoted me 300 Plus to fix. I asked how the harness has been rubbed and why this would cost me if it is being rubbed by the car? No answer as of yet.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
you can do a simple test to check if the coil or spark plug help to do a misfire

swap the spark plug and the coil with another cylinder. drive the car for a while.let's check and see if the misfire is in the same cylinder or in another one. it can exclude something to a spark problem....or it show the problem

i don't really know a lot about a chevy efi,but in the audi efi,if one cylinder is failing it show a mil and a stability track problem
avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
Do you have an extended warranty?
Old 01-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
2010 Has no bumper to bumper, so unless you bought it CPO or purchased a extended warranty then you likely have no warranty coverage for that. It's not a drivetrain part so isn't covered under the drivetrain warranty assuming you have some of that left also.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
HTLady00

No extended. I'm still under powertrain but that is it.

So wiring harness has been melted by the exhaust manifold. Charging me $314.58 to bandage it. Their splicing the wires together and putting a coating over the wires.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
speedygonzales

Drives: 99 z71, 2012 2SS
That's the equivalent of 2.5 hours labor since there is minimal parts involved. That's BS. Even if you had 30 wires in the bundle, it wouldn't take 2.5 hours to fix them. We solder and shrink wrap repairs and it still wouldn't take that long. What they are now doing is getting the diagnostic time back. You know all the time riding around to find it. If they actually did drive it around.

What we do is quote the customer the longest projected time and let them know that and then charge them the actual time it took to do the repair. Since no one really knows the actual time to do such a repair. But a lot of dealers just charge what they quoted even when 90% of the time it takes less time to do the job. I'm referring to repairs of this nature not ones that are in the book with definite repair times like changing a tranny etc.....

Find another dealer for your next repair. Sorry you took it up the shorts.

Fix your garage pics so we can see them
speedygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
HTLady00

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
That's the equivalent of 2.5 hours labor since there is minimal parts involved. That's BS. Even if you had 30 wires in the bundle, it wouldn't take 2.5 hours to fix them. We solder and shrink wrap repairs and it still wouldn't take that long. What they are now doing is getting the diagnostic time back. You know all the time riding around to find it. If they actually did drive it around.

What we do is quote the customer the longest projected time and let them know that and then charge them the actual time it took to do the repair. Since no one really knows the actual time to do such a repair. But a lot of dealers just charge what they quoted even when 90% of the time it takes less time to do the job. I'm referring to repairs of this nature not ones that are in the book with definite repair times like changing a tranny etc.....

Find another dealer for your next repair. Sorry you took it up the shorts.

You know what's even more difficult to take in all of this: They but over 100 miles on my car and used over half a tank of gas. So cost is now over $350.

As a side note: I have owned over 10 vehicles in my life thus far. Never have I had this kind of negative service experience.
Toyota 2
Dodge (Rams) 3
Chrysler 1
GM/ Chevy 3
Hyundai 1
Ford 1