Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #43
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdp1 View Post
A simple "Your service has been discontinued" would have sufficed.
Not in today's lawsuit-happy society. Next time you want some laffs, check out the dozen or so warning stickers attached to a new ladder. You think the manufacturer *wants* to spend his money putting all those ridiculously simple-minded warnings on there? People who are stupid enough that they have to be told to NOT fall off a ladder are still able to rub two brain cells together long enough to dial a lawyer.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #44
Chuckster

Drives: 2012 2LT Convertible
I have mixed feelings about OnStar. Not interested in the turn by turn. For the rare occassion that I might use it, it's overpriced. When I didn't respond to the subscription notice at the end of the trial period, they email me a $50 discount online, but they really want a credit card (just like they did when I took vehicle delivery) so they can have control - not going to happen. I've sent them a check with the $50 discount for the basic service. They also claim that you'll have satellite service when you don't have cell service. That may not be true. On the positive side, I like knowing that the service is there, plus I like the iPhone monitoring and ability to locate/start/unlock my car from the phone.

Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #45
SSVertSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I don't use OnStar for any services other than for theft recovery. This service is superior to LoJack as it recently tracked a freshly stolen car that was taken in part of a car theft ring. The location was updated to us (work in law enforcement) and the car was tracked right down to a restaurant lot it just turned into with all three occupants taken into custody with no pursuit necessary. LoJack is like a treasure hunt game of hot/cold as you follow a little arrow and faster or slower beeping from the tracking device in the patrol car. The letter OnStar sends is a little over the top but in the day of "I'll sue you for me being my own problem", I can't blame them.
SSVertSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #46
bigscarymonster

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
I think a big part of it depends on where you live. If you're in the city and in an accident somebody is going to call the cops real quick. You go up to the northwoods of michigan (did this early this morning) you can drive for thirty plus miles without seeing anybody and cellphone service is super spotty at best. It's nice to have that satellite reception and auto call then.
bigscarymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #47
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
I didn't say it was scary, just that they were trying to scare me back to there service.

Woe is me, if I get in an accident, no one will come to help me and I will die. That's the way I took the message. I don't understand how their service is any better that my cell phone and alarm system. Other that they can kill the car remotely.
Scare Tactic: A strategy using fear to influence one's reaction
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #48
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
Their service sucks IMHO...
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #49
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Here is the e-mail I got today.

Dear *********,We're writing to let you know that your OnStar¹ service has been deactivated. This means you no longer have OnStar services
and features, even in an emergency.
If you have recently enrolled in an OnStar service plan, please push the blue button in your vehicle to confirm that your OnStar system has been restored to full service. If you no longer own the vehicle described in the column to the right, please disregard this notice.Since your vehicle no longer has OnStar protection, we cannot respond, and you cannot contact an OnStar Advisor — for any event, including emergencies.OnStar can no longer automatically contact help for you in the event of a crash.You cannot be connected to an OnStar Advisor for assistance during any emergency, including collisions, severe weather, or other crises. If your vehicle is stolen, OnStar will not be able to assist with location or recovery. If the keys are locked inside, OnStar cannot unlock the doors remotely for you. If your vehicle was equipped with Hands-Free Calling, any remaining minutes cannot be used.To reactivate your service plan, please push the blue
OnStar button.
An OnStar Advisor will explain the services
available and help you choose the plan that best meets your needs. Only then can you ensure that an OnStar Advisor will be there for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Sincerely,

Terry M. Inch
OnStar, Chief Operating Officer

I was kind of wishing they would send me that letter cuz I was thinking of going back at the right price.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #50
Tommyguns

Drives: 2011 black 1lt
I recently took a trip to Colorado for a week. If it wasn't for onstar, I never would of made all the turns through Colorado Springs. That was confusing. Then where we were staying there was no cell service, but the onstar phone worked flawlessly. I would of had to drive 30 minutes to the nearest tower. Then comming back through Kansas city with all the road construction, onstar navigated through all of it flawlessly. I'm glad I have it.
Tommyguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #51
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
If you are traveling out of state or instate for that matter and you really don't know where you are (Ya, you are on Hwy 90 but where on Hwy 90) in the middle of the night and your car breaks down and have cell service, where are you going to tell AAA where to come?

By the way I am pretty sure that assuming you have a credit card you can push the "Blue Button" and sign up immediately for OnStar if you have a problem, so help is just around the corner if you have a credit card to put on file. You can cancel a few days later after you don't need the service.

I have been lost and called and signed up for the Directions plan on the spot and gotten the directions sent to the car and then the next day I called and canceled the service with no problem. It saved my butt when I was lost and did't know where I was. ($9.95 was a small price to pay when you're lost in the back woods country).
Old 09-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #52
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
I used Onstar once after my B.A.P shut off while shitting in traffic. It took them 7 hours to get me a flat bed. The driver said because of where I was my name had to be passed down the chain till someone with the right tow permit can get me. He also told me AAA would have got me a flat bed in 30 mins or less with no hassles. No more Onstar for me.
Sorry, but I'm no fan of AAA either. On a cold winter day when your car won't start, try calling AAA. Your name will be added to a list and you'll have to wait your turn.
5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #53
AGENT-006
AKA 'Mr. 006'

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro
this is to prevent people from complaining later..and wanting help during the time its unactive
Old 09-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #54
tdp1

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoansDriver View Post
This is what I thought, too. The pathetic (or more so hilarious) thing is the op thinking Onstar is trying to scare him into re activating his service. They're actually most likely required by law to inform him his services are deactivated.

To the OP. Keep wearing that tinfoil hat, bub. *pointshootwink*
OP? Why are talking about me like I'm not in the room? The only thing pathetic (or more so hilarious) is that the OP (other poster) is a smart ass. *pointshootwink*

Here's your hat back, if you can find your head to put it on....
Attached Images

Last edited by tdp1; 09-11-2012 at 02:29 PM.
tdp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #55
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
I just got this email.

I do have a question I wonder if in a real emergency if they would really deny service for liabilities sake? I mean what if something happened to someone after onstar denied them service? I guess they could fight that they informed the person but in a real emergency I think they'd probably still provide service.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #56
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Onstar called me and threatened to kidnap my dog if I didn't pay for the service.

I told them they clearly had the wrong party as I do not own a dog.

I got up for work the next morning and saw this outside my door:

So, yeah. Those On* guys aren't playing around....

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote