Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #29
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
And as far as the JERK is concerned, are you talking about me?

LMAO ...NAH

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #30
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Bad-SS View Post
I've got the Hurst and it's the same. Must be the Tremmec and I installed the SkipShift eliminator as quickly as I could because that would just mess me up. Everyone is correct though, that it will take time. It's been 2 months and while I've never "Conked", every now and then I grind 2nd when not paying attention. .
Your SS stick shouldn't be as much as a problem because the ratios are closer together from 1st to 2nd then the LS and LT. See this WIKI chart. The LS and LT has a jerk because there's such a difference between 1st and 2nd. A close ratio transmission would be the smoothest but then you wouldn't have the 1st gear burnout and the 6th gear gas mileage.

2010 CAMARO Transmissions Gear Ratios

Gear #LS/LT 6-speed automatic (Hydra-Matic 6L50) w/ TAPshiftLS/LT 6-speed manual (Aisin Warner AY6)SS 6-speed automatic (Hydra-Matic 6L80) w/ TAPshiftSS 6-speed manual (TR6060)First:4.074.484.033.01Second:2.372.582.362.07Third:1.551.631.531.43Fourth:1.161.191.151.00Fifth:0.851.000.850.84Sixth:0.670.750.670.57Reverse:3.063.673.063.28Final Drive:3.273.273.273.45
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #31
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Sorry, the previous post didnt' cut and paste right. The point is the SS is going from a 3 to a 2 from 1st to 2nd and the LS/LT is 4.5 to 2.5 from 1st to 2nd. In essence the wider the range between the gears, the more your revs change and cause the jerking.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #32
maverickmage

Drives: Camaro V6 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
Sorry, the previous post didnt' cut and paste right. The point is the SS is going from a 3 to a 2 from 1st to 2nd and the LS/LT is 4.5 to 2.5 from 1st to 2nd. In essence the wider the range between the gears, the more your revs change and cause the jerking.
Yup. This is true. I realized for me, the reason why I have a harder time shifting smoothly is because I shift too fast. The revs didn't drop enough so that when I let go of the clutch I still get a bit of the jerk.
maverickmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #33
PsychoDRAMA

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
ok, Im sorry to just jump in here without knowing much about this but is this an issue with all manual camaros? Ive never heard of this issue till now. LS3 suffer from this?(is that a stupid question lol?), would the hurst short throw alleviate this?
PsychoDRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #34
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoDRAMA View Post
ok, Im sorry to just jump in here without knowing much about this but is this an issue with all manual camaros? Ive never heard of this issue till now. LS3 suffer from this?(is that a stupid question lol?), would the hurst short throw alleviate this?

Not really an Issue, more of a I dunno even no what to call it, I guess driver skill

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #35
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izach26 View Post
Yea once its in gear I Remove my foot, I dont want to BURN the clutch
If you do it slightly slower it wont hurt the clutch but it will smooth out the transition. Your clutch isn't an on/off button. It takes practice to get it down and you can't be perfect every shift. It's all trial and error to get it comfortable for you.
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #36
fz6r

Drives: Camaro
Learned to drive on a manual, last car was a manual, and ride a motorcycle, so I'm pretty good with manual... this car took some getting used to. I can shift rather smoothly now on the 1-2 but after driving my friends Audi, my trans definitely feels very rough- the Audi pretty much glided through the gears and felt precise, but shifting smoothly in the Camaro takes a concerted effort. Even so, I absolutely love driving stick and would choose it again, given the choice.
fz6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #37
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I don't have any problem shifting first to second in mine whether the jerk is with me or not. Hubby has a little trouble with it, but he doesn't drive it enough to get used to it so he's got an excuse.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #38
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Ok today marks 7 days of having my 1LS/M6...I feel im a damm good manual driver. Been driving since I was 16 had to learn how to drive in a Manual 5 Speed we lived in Marylnd in one of those row homes (NO DRIVE WAY) which required parallel parking daily

I have owned a few Manuals in my day all 5 Speeds, my last 2 cars about 5 years have been automatics...Yet with my Camaro, I find my self Conking Out atleast once a day, just figured its going to take me some time to get used to the clutch...but 7 days come on already

Also if I hit 2nd med hard to hard that 2nd gear jerk is annoying...Should my 2nd MOD be the Below or give it more time to get used to

1st Manual - (MOMS) Brand New VW Jetta 5 Speed
2nd - 91 Honda Accord 5 Speed
3rd - 93 Ford Probe
4th - 91 Dodge Daytona

All of these were 5 Speed 4Cyl, is there something im doing wrong, now that I have a 6 Speed V6?

Never Grind threw the gears, Always shift when I get to about 3000 RPM

Just came in from lunch and CONCKED OUT leaving the bank Parking lot, WHAT GIVES
So, a couple of things. This car (your Camaro) is different because it actually has power in front of the gearbox. A Jetta, a Probe, an Accord, and a Daytona, are all very soft-clutch cars with very little torque. Great for folks who can barely drive a manual because they're so forgiving.

The Camaro--less forgiving. If you mismanage the power through the clutch, you're going to feel it in the form of a jerk, a lurch, or a really sloppy slip.

How old are you? I think there are some things that come from experience with driving manual cars. But, with each new car, there's a learning curve to understand at what point the clutch engages, how hard the clutch grabs, how much to blip the throttle to rev match in each gear while downshifting, etc. That will probably come after more than 7 days of owning the car. Don't beat yourself up too hard--you'll get the hang of it.

One thing I've noticed about the Camaro (well, my SS anyway) is that it requires more gas pedal when shifting between gears. If I want a seamless transition between 1st and 2nd, I've got to be back on the gas quick. Whereas in my Jeep (6-speed), the flywheel in the engine is so heavy, I can shift up to the next gear with almost no gas because the time for the engine to spin down is relatively much longer. In the Camaro, the engine speed drops much faster, and sometimes your upshifts will feel like downshifts, if that makes sense. Jerkiness in shifting is always related to how well you manage the speed differential between the engine and transmission
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #39
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
LOL, from the title I thought this thread was going to be about some punk trying to race you in a ragged-out Tercel.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #40
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
But, with each new car, there's a learning curve to understand at what point the clutch engages, how hard the clutch grabs, how much to blip the throttle to rev match in each gear while downshifting, etc. That will probably come after more than 7 days of owning the car. Don't beat yourself up too hard--you'll get the hang of it.

One thing I've noticed about the Camaro (well, my SS anyway) is that it requires more gas pedal when shifting between gears. If I want a seamless transition between 1st and 2nd, I've got to be back on the gas quick. Whereas in my Jeep (6-speed), the flywheel in the engine is so heavy, I can shift up to the next gear with almost no gas because the time for the engine to spin down is relatively much longer. In the Camaro, the engine speed drops much faster, and sometimes your upshifts will feel like downshifts, if that makes sense. Jerkiness in shifting is always related to how well you manage the speed differential between the engine and transmission
This. My second gear shift still isn't perfect in this car, but back when I used to have my RX-7 Turbo (which had more HP than my v6 Camaro), I could shift it like butter. But it was because I had driven the car for 5 years and knew it inside and out. I let my brother and my father drive it and neither one could shift smoothly into second or third, especially if the turbo was spooled up (car is in its strong powerband)
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #41
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
So, a couple of things. This car (your Camaro) is different because it actually has power in front of the gearbox. A Jetta, a Probe, an Accord, and a Daytona, are all very soft-clutch cars with very little torque. Great for folks who can barely drive a manual because they're so forgiving.

The Camaro--less forgiving. If you mismanage the power through the clutch, you're going to feel it in the form of a jerk, a lurch, or a really sloppy slip.

How old are you? I think there are some things that come from experience with driving manual cars. But, with each new car, there's a learning curve to understand at what point the clutch engages, how hard the clutch grabs, how much to blip the throttle to rev match in each gear while downshifting, etc. That will probably come after more than 7 days of owning the car. Don't beat yourself up too hard--you'll get the hang of it.

I agree I have to give it more gas, I rode with my coworker to the store for lunch he stated the same thing give it more gas....

A prev posted made a good point the clutch is not an on off switch.. and thats just how I treat it only time i ease off is 1st gear starat off then the rest is just long enought to get it in gear

If this makes any since to you

1st = Press gas and let up on clutch at an even pace
2nd - 6th Press clutch all the way to the floor tpo get it in gear then let off asap

I guess I have had it drilled in my brain to get off that clutch....just dont want to burn it out....

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #42
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
1st = Press gas and let up on clutch at an even pace
2nd - 6th Press clutch all the way to the floor tpo get it in gear then let off asap

I guess I have had it drilled in my brain to get off that clutch....just dont want to burn it out....
Exactly. 2nd-6th should be about matching engine/trans speed together based on your driving skill, and if you do it right, you don't need to use the clutch to shift. (IMO, still do it for good practice, and there will be times when you're slightly off and you'll get a grind if you don't use the clutch).
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote