Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #1
01cbr929

Drives: Which one?
OBD Forced Readiness - No Cats - yes/no?

I am considering LT Headers - without cats. I know the visual inspection is a joke here so I am not worried about that. However they still plug into the OBD port for the inspection.

Do tuners have the ability to enable forced readiness so you can pass the OBD portion of an inspection?

Thanks!
01cbr929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
No, That would be asking a tuner to due an illegal act.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Some cities in MO require emissions tests where they plug a computer into the OBD port to check for failures. Tuners have the ability to eliminate the CEL and emissions failures on cars with headers and no cats.

Yes, removing the cats and programming the ECU to defeat the emissions requirements for vehicles driven on public roads is illegal. I don't think it is illegal for offroad use and that is the disclaimer that most companies use to sell products.

There was a lawsuit in Florida over this:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/23833/...defeat-devices

I guess we'll see if this becomes a bigger problem nationally and how performance parts companies deal with the liability.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
They'll deal with it by OEM's completely locking down ECU programming. which is already something that is in the works according to various sources.

Sadly, electric cars wont be a new frontier of modding and tinkering as pretty much every company putting out electric cars is going the route of cell phones and john deere with always connected proprietary software and proprietary hardware.

The days of being a car enthusiast are numbered... Personal transportation is a dirty word. And really, it needs to be for anything bigger than a motorcycle as the infrastructure to support cars is just too expensive as far as society is concerned. I feel bad for anyone who's main and only hobby is working on cars as the golden days of doing that are going to be gone well within my lifetime.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
01cbr929

Drives: Which one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
No, That would be asking a tuner to due an illegal act.
I'm sure that's never been done before. Thank you for your 2 cents.
01cbr929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:05 AM   #6
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
They'll deal with it by OEM's completely locking down ECU programming. which is already something that is in the works according to various sources.

Sadly, electric cars wont be a new frontier of modding and tinkering as pretty much every company putting out electric cars is going the route of cell phones and john deere with always connected proprietary software and proprietary hardware.

The days of being a car enthusiast are numbered... Personal transportation is a dirty word. And really, it needs to be for anything bigger than a motorcycle as the infrastructure to support cars is just too expensive as far as society is concerned. I feel bad for anyone who's main and only hobby is working on cars as the golden days of doing that are going to be gone well within my lifetime.

In Los Angeles, the politicians are taking away car lanes, and replacing them with bike lanes or bus only lanes. Their goal is to make driving more miserable than it already is in this miserable city. Lot of sick people running this city.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote