Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
WarlockCamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Secondary Cat Delete (WILL I PASS SMOG?)

Hello guys,
Recently I did a SC Delete on my SS with the GM Performance Exhaust, and I absolutely love the sound. The car sounds the same while cruising, but if you gun it, it sounds awesome it crackles and pops even more! Now I did do my research, and from what i can tell you can pass smog as long as everything else is good, but some people disagree. I've been told by the guy that did my delete that plenty of guys have came and did the same exact thing and that CHEVY put the SC there to make sure their cars will pass SMOG. What do you guys think?
WarlockCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
There is a reason why Corsa and Borla will not sale their X-pipe in CA, as it removes the secondary cats. This will make it not pass CA smog.

The secondaries were added for it to pass CA smog.

Luckily, I won't have to worry about it for 6 years, by that time I will be looking to upgrade and start over.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
good thing is you dont have to smog by 6 or 7 years so you will be good until then lol just keep your oem parts or get a illegal smog
Old 06-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlockCamaro View Post
Hello guys,
Recently I did a SC Delete on my SS with the GM Performance Exhaust, and I absolutely love the sound. The car sounds the same while cruising, but if you gun it, it sounds awesome it crackles and pops even more! Now I did do my research, and from what i can tell you can pass smog as long as everything else is good, but some people disagree. I've been told by the guy that did my delete that plenty of guys have came and did the same exact thing and that CHEVY put the SC there to make sure their cars will pass SMOG. What do you guys think?
The secondary cats are not monitored. Isnt the emission test in your state a plug in ? They do not sniff the pipes I dont think. No check engine light, no nothing. You should be fine. The Corvette guys have been doing this for a long time. A x pipe with no secondary cats...no problem.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
My First Camaro!

Drives: '18 5.7 RAM 1500 18' 1SS
CA smog check in not required for 6 years on new cars.

Also, the smog check is a OBDII test. Basically, the inspection "scanner" plugs into your car and your car reports smog status. There is a visual component as well. Now, how in-depth the visual is depends on who is doing it. I have never seen any shop jack a car up and look for second cats. If they bother with the visual at all its usually a quick check for headers and no smoke coming from the tailpipe. If your rocking a power adder they might question it, maybe.

The short story is, if your looking to delete the second cats I would not worry about CA BS smog crap at all.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
BlackKnight2SS18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline
Depends if you want to roll the dice. And on how much of a stickler the tech at the emissions station is. Some do the minimum... probe in tail pipe, mirror in the wrong spot under the car... while some go all out, with the mirror under the car in different spots and some will crawl under there if they think something is up (ie a loud @$$ exhaust sound). I know people that have not passed and had to have their exhaust system removed or put back to stock to pass. If you have the time, $$$, and are willing to roll the dice... go for it.

Last edited by BlackKnight2SS18; 06-08-2019 at 11:32 AM.
BlackKnight2SS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #7
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
In California they will fail you on the visual. Common sense says if it is clean out the tail pipe it should be good but CARB is by no stretch a sensible entity.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #8
Michael2000

Drives: .
Won't pass visual. If the inspector sees anything modded, it's game over unless it has a CARB sticker.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
The question is, which smog places know about the secondary cats?
Do all 6.2 lt1 come with secondary cats?
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:01 PM   #10
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospiece View Post
The question is, which smog places know about the secondary cats?
Do all 6.2 lt1 come with secondary cats?
Every one of them with a Smog license.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
My First Camaro!

Drives: '18 5.7 RAM 1500 18' 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight2SS18 View Post
Depends if you want to roll the dice. And on how much of a stickler the tech at the emissions station is. Some do the minimum... probe in tail pipe, mirror in the wrong spot under the car... while some go all out, with the mirror under the car in different spots and some will crawl under there if they think something is up (ie a loud @$$ exhaust sound). I know people that have not passed and had to have their exhaust system removed or put back to stock to pass. If you have the time, $$$, and are willing to roll the dice... go for it.
CA HAS NO TAILPIPE PROBE INSPECTION. Its all OBDII port. The car self inspects, reports ready status.

Also, what random tech knows where the second cats are and will jack the car to get to them. I don't think you can see them with any mirror. Its to low.

Last smog ch I did (March 2019/2006 ford Escape) was over in 10 mins. And that included paying....
Old 06-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
smog checks are like tinting your windshield or not driving with a front license plate. It's rolling the dice until you get caught.

removing the secondary cats is against federal law, so any state inspection regardless of being part of CARB or not should fail you. Most dont go all anal with visual inspections though so you skirt by if the computer says everything is going great.

Self inspection is such a stupid thing. No legitimate test is going to go by the honor system to grade you. Bring back the tailpipe test, then get rid of any sort limits to what you can put on the car or take off as long as the sniffer says you're in the green according to stock standards over the course of the dyno test.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:08 AM   #13
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
smog checks are like tinting your windshield or not driving with a front license plate. It's rolling the dice until you get caught.

removing the secondary cats is against federal law, so any state inspection regardless of being part of CARB or not should fail you. Most dont go all anal with visual inspections though so you skirt by if the computer says everything is going great.

Self inspection is such a stupid thing. No legitimate test is going to go by the honor system to grade you. Bring back the tailpipe test, then get rid of any sort limits to what you can put on the car or take off as long as the sniffer says you're in the green according to stock standards over the course of the dyno test.
If it went by tailpipe test only, the smog agency would probably get stringent on pollutant levels, holding cars to near-new specs, making older cars fail.

OBD2 testing + visual inspection is unliikely to go away. Without it, people will do things like advance timing, remove EGR equipment and secondary cats, thereby degrading emissions performance.

Keep in mind, before OBD2 testing, it was tailpipe testing + visual inspection. It's still the protocol for older gas cars in California.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
fadkar

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Every one of them with a Smog license.
Are you saying this from experience?