Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-13-2016, 11:04 PM   #1
Grogan73

Drives: Sold it
Brake upgrade questions (help please)

Hey folks, I want to replace my factory rotors and pads. Have you ever bought any front and rear kits before? I have a budget of around $1,000. I don't race at all but will do a road course hopefully soon just for fun. I will admit that looks are just as much a reason as performance to me for the upgrade. I would like drilled and slotted (money permitting) rotors. Do you have any advice like "I wish I would have known or done something different" kind? Any brands to recommend or stay away from? I just put new ZL1 wheels on car that are 20x10 square set up.

Thanks for help. Asking questions has saved me lots of money lately.
Grogan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:20 AM   #2
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Spend good money on pads. Hawk, EBC, something. All depends on what your intended purpose is.

If you want drilled and slotted, get good ones. R1 Concepts. They do look good, and perform well. That being said, on a $1000 budget i would get oem AC Delco rotors (or high carbon content equivalent), good brake pads, stainless steel lines, and Dot4 brake flush.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
This ^ I'm looking to buy the Hawk high performance street brake pads myself. I also am running Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors that I was able to pick up new on Cl for cheap.
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
Rrm20151le

Drives: 2015 Red Rock 1LE
Take a look at Brake Performance website. I got drilled and slotted rotors for front and back for less than $400. Got hawk performance brake pads from Phastek. Lifetime warranty on the rotors against defects. Check it out.
Rrm20151le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Grogan73

Drives: Sold it
Nice advice, thanks folks
Grogan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
MikeAP

Drives: 2013 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrm20151le View Post
Take a look at Brake Performance website. I got drilled and slotted rotors for front and back for less than $400. Got hawk performance brake pads from Phastek. Lifetime warranty on the rotors against defects. Check it out.
RRM2015 which rotors did you go with from Brake Performance? I am looking for new pads and rotors for my 2013 SS and those prices look really good.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Rrm20151le

Premium drilled and slotted rotors. They offer 2 free choices on pads, semi metallic or ceramic. I ordered the ceramic. But I also ordered the blue hawk performance brake pads from Phastek Performance. These pads generate no brake dust. Wheels always clean. Still way under the thousand dollar budget if you install yourself. Hope this helps you.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
I would be careful with Hawk HPS pads. Just put them on my car and the squeal at slow speeds is terrible - lot of people with this issue.
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
MikeAP

Drives: 2013 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrm20151le View Post
Premium drilled and slotted rotors. They offer 2 free choices on pads, semi metallic or ceramic. I ordered the ceramic. But I also ordered the blue hawk performance brake pads from Phastek Performance. These pads generate no brake dust. Wheels always clean. Still way under the thousand dollar budget if you install yourself. Hope this helps you.
Thanks for the reply, did you have any issues installing them? I am leaning toward the same ones.

Mike
Old 05-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
No drilled rotor for road course use. They will crack much faster than a plain face or slotted rotor. ALL rotors crack from the heating and cooling cycles that are generated by road course use. You can see surface cracking after only a few sessions. This is normal aand safe, unless the cracks are large enough to catch your finger nail.

Drilled rotors not only crack faster, they have less mass to dissipate heat.

Hole and slots were a huge benefit years ago when gassing from the pads was so bad it literally prevented the pad from making clean contact with the rotor. Modern pads do not have that problem. Slots are used to clear dust, but even slots are not required. Check out a NASCAR Cup Car. They are stout for race cars, similar to a Camaro on track. They use plain face rotors.

A road course Camaro will generate very high pad temperatures. You need a pad with a heat range of at least 1200 degrees. I suggest Hawk DTC70 front and DTC 60 rear pads or CobaltFriction XR1 front and XR2 rear.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
jamestown

Drives: 2014 1le
I'm with JP on this one. Blank rotors are highly underrated. I would go so far as to say money spent on rotor gimmiks is wasted. Buy centric blanks (they manufacture stopteck rotors) or oem gm rotors. Spend your money on great pads and regular brake fluid flushes and profit. If you still want more brake performance the next step is a bbk.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestown View Post
I'm with JP on this one. Blank rotors are highly underrated. I would go so far as to say money spent on rotor gimmiks is wasted. Buy centric blanks (they manufacture stopteck rotors) or oem gm rotors. Spend your money on great pads and regular brake fluid flushes and profit. If you still want more brake performance the next step is a bbk.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #13
Rrm20151le

No issues installing. Quite easy to do.