Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
HPS Brake Pad Noise - Need Recommendation

So I just installed Hawk Performance Street brake pads (HPS) on my car and am completely disappointed with the squeal they make at low speeds when coming to a stop. Yes, I performed the bedding procedure precisely as specified on the box they came in and applied copious amounts of the high performance brake lube that came with them to the backs of the pads and caliper pins. I purchased these because I wanted no brake dust for my newly powder-coated calipers and new wheels. After some quick searching, I realize this has been a reality for HPS pads for people with 5th gen Camaros as well as many other makes and models. Shame on me for not discovering this earlier I guess. I understand that this squeak is a product of performance pads in general and just "how it is", but the noise is egregious and I can't live with it around parking lots and stop lights - it's just embarrassing. I have to imagine there is something better out there. So my question to you folks would be a request for a recommendation for a brake pad that meets the following criteria:

1. Low brake dust
2. NO noise
3. Capable of being used at Autocross (not necessarily track)

Note: I still have stock rotors which are still in good shape (no grooves, 20,000 miles) and I sanded them quite heavily with 130 grit sand paper before installing new pads.
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
I'm on my 2nd of Hawk HPS pads. 1st set did what you described after the bedding procedure, but went away after some time (sorry, don't remember how long - it was 5 years ago).

2nd set, I did a little different break-in and have zero noise. I got it up to about 35 a few times and stomped on the brakes, then I got up to about 60 a few times and stomped on the brakes. Then I took it on the highway and got up to about 80 a couple times and hit the brakes hard (didn't slow down much below speed limit as there were other vehicles on the highway).

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle

Last edited by gahammerle; 05-25-2016 at 02:07 PM.
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
JWoj3540

Thanks, Gordy, I'll try the bedding procedure that you specified and see if I have any luck.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
JWoj3540

Can someone please provide some recommendations for other pads per my listed requirements? Please