Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive always usede the lucas one and loved it
Old 05-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #16
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Interesting stuff.
https://gumout.com/our-ingredients/
So, PEA's vs. catch cans. Which is most cost effective?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #17
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if you dont have a catch can you probably have carbon build up on your valves. you dont need fuel cleaner. fuel already has cleaner in it. Unless you use some no name cheap brand.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:49 AM   #18
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Is this really necessary? I have been getting BP 93 octane gas from the same station since I bought the car and I have 3500 on the car now.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #19
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Interesting stuff.
https://gumout.com/our-ingredients/
So, PEA's vs. catch cans. Which is most cost effective?
Gumout is cheaper than SI-1 if you want PEA. I believe two bottles of regane complete has more PEA than one bottle of SI-1, while also being cheaper per oz($5 each).

https://gumout.com/proven-results/

Gumout is very proud of their stuff and happy to talk about what is in it and how it is tested. That says something to me.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #20
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
Is this really necessary? I have been getting BP 93 octane gas from the same station since I bought the car and I have 3500 on the car now.
On DI cars fuel does not spray on the valves unless it is an engine with extra injectors to do just that(LT1 is not one). The fuel on the injectors washes off the oil build up. Since the LT1 doesn't it builds up on the back of the valves. If you only have 3500 miles I would think it would be very safe as you won't have much build up yet.

Catch can is not a fix all, engine can and have still get build up, look around, people have show it. But, there is a product that avoid blasting. CRC makes a GDI IVD cleaner, which has very strong concentrated cleaners (like PEA) that will keep your valves pretty clean if you use it regularly. I have used it several times on one of my GDI engines that has 43k miles now and it still runs great. May you eventually need a through cleaning in the future? Maybe, but they also make one that you only take off the intake manifold to use. You then fill to soak the valves, agitate the crap off, and then remove the liquid. But blasting is faster.

If you use the CRC GDI IVD spray, and there is a lot of build up you can hear stuff breaking up and clinking around. Some think this may be causing engine damage, buy I started using it 25k miles ago and haven't seen any effects from it yet.

Effect will vary from situation to situation. In the Mazda circles there was an uproar because a shop posted pics of a Mazda GDI engine with awful build up at 15k miles, but other said they in a panicked pulled off their intake after seeing that post, had more miles, and much less buildup.

If you want good reading, just go to a BMW site, they have been fighting this DI issue for a lot longer and had a pretty bad design at the start, so the owners have covered and discussed most of these issues.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #21
Michael2000

Drives: .
GM doesn't recommend these additives. I've never used them. I just use good quality gasoline that already has the additives needed.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #22
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
BG 44k for the fuel system. You can get it from an automotive shop not walley world. If ur DI, BG also has a good valve cleaning set up but u need a shop that does BG to get it done.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote