Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-08-2015, 01:37 AM   #1
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
Catch Cans - You'd better get one for the LT1

I suggest that everyone have a quality catch can in the budget when getting their LT1 Camaros. Just google the problem some C7s are having due to the direct injection (DI) fuel delivery.

Most people don't grasp things like this, and can easily overlook them. But, a catch can with a competent user that empties it at specific intervals will save your intake tract a big mess. Not to mention, valve deposits can, and will, rob you of serious HP over the course of time.

So, I urge you all to get familiar with what I am saying, and do yourself a favor and invest in a quality catch can.

dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:58 AM   #2
alfonsoj23

Drives: 2014 camaro ls
how much is it? and can I go to any mechanic so they can install it??
alfonsoj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:39 AM   #3
Co2SS

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel ZL1 M6
Is the device, oil/air separator, that GM engineer Aaron Link talked about on a different thread on this forum not a "catch can" for all intents and purposes???
Co2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
dragonZ28

Maybe their separator is their solution, but I'd still be weary. Keep this in mind just in case.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Before we all think doom and gloom, I think this should be checked out:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424959

It shows that at the very least, GM has worked to mitigate the issue, and its possible a catch can isn't needed, but then again, I'm not saying one won't be useful either.

As the former owner of the V6 Camaro with its Direct Injection engine, we all know very well how important some type of oil separation is.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I'll end up getting one. They're useful and can dress up an engine bay.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Is this from the direct injection or really from the afm? I have heard afm causing oil in the intake. Although do not see how direct injection can cause oil in the intake.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Im curious on this as well. People have been preaching catch cans since the LS1 came out. Ive never once had one, or had any related issues. So Im curious if the NEW push for cc's is due to DI(which I know little about), AFM, or just more if the same?

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
dragonZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Is this from the direct injection or really from the afm? I have heard afm causing oil in the intake. Although do not see how direct injection can cause oil in the intake.
All engines have this to a certain degree, and some are worse due to vaccuum, PCV setup, etc.

As far as direct injection vs your typical EFI, the problem lies in the fact that in DI setups, the fuel never passes through the cylinder head intake port. This has pros and cons. Pros, you make more power. Con, the fuel acts as a cleaner to the intake port and intake valve/s. If it never passes through the port, it can not clean this up. However, oil vapor still passes through and builds up on your valves and cylinder head intake ports as well as the intake manifold.

It is a solid thing to research. I would highly recommend getting a catch can - even on top of GM's solution.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I have one on my Mustang, any car as said can have it. Not just a DI car...GM does say they added an oil/air separator to the LT1 (which is just another name for a catch can). I am curious how they are going to label/write this up so it's checked and emptied during oil changes. I will most likely if it's needed, add an additional one if it doesn't effect the PCV since it has one from the factory...we will see.

Quality oil, and not skimping on oil changes, along with running top tier fuel is important too.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #11
drivingagain

Thank you for the explanation. I was thinking with afm they are known when they shut the cylinder off the oil bypoasses the rings because there is no compression to keep them sealed. I will have a manual car with no afm. Will there still be a problem with oil in the intake and how? There is no where oil can come from except the intake and exhaust valves. Just really curious, as I have heard with the AFM but Direct injection is new to me. Although never heard of toyota or nissan using direct injection having problems with oil in the intake. They do not use AFM either.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #12
drivingagain

Ok so I did some research on this. Here is a couple links on the subject for GEN5 camaro's.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347649

Apex Motorsports Catch Can - LS3 Install and First Impressions
Old 10-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
dragonZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Thank you for the explanation. I was thinking with afm they are known when they shut the cylinder off the oil bypoasses the rings because there is no compression to keep them sealed. I will have a manual car with no afm. Will there still be a problem with oil in the intake and how? There is no where oil can come from except the intake and exhaust valves. Just really curious, as I have heard with the AFM but Direct injection is new to me. Although never heard of toyota or nissan using direct injection having problems with oil in the intake. They do not use AFM either.
First off, there is compression in the deactivated cylinders. You are still compressing air - there's just no fuel or spark. The valves are opened mechanically by the cam, lifters, pushrods, and rocker arm function. This is a constant even under AFM operation.
I suppose AFM could cause blowby from the crankcase to the deactivated cylinders under low vaccuum at the manifold. Vaccuum in the lines will also help seal the rings to the cylinder walls, as will compression. The LT1 actually sprays the cylinder walls and underside of the piston for cooling and lubrication purposes.

Blowby from the crankcase to the cylinder will not cause it to get in your intake. Some may get to the top end of your intake valves, but it won't get much farther than that. Even then, this will be a nominal amount of oil vapor. Almost all will be thrown out the exhaust as the piston only moves up on the compression stroke (all valves closed) and the exhaust stroke (exhaust valve open only).
Old 10-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
drivingagain

Now on the clean side for the camaro 1le their is a catch can. I wonder if this is what the article gm was talking about a fix. According to experts their needs to be a clean and dirt side catch can. 5% of the oil comes from the clean and 95% from the dirty side. I guess the first few camaro owners that receive their car are going to have find this out.