Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-16-2015, 02:29 AM   #1
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Offering your car for fitment of new headers?

Has anyone ever offered their new car to a company to allow them to craft headers for it? Overall the ones I have talked to said they would give me the first full production headers and not the Frankenstein ones they will make to get measurements etc...
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
cwl011

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I would be down for that, as long as the installed the first production ones for me. However I am ordering my car in Dec. and I am sure they would want one right away.
cwl011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
I'm sure they would also use it to beat the piss out of a new car to see what it has before and after their mods, not something I would do unless I was literally with the car the whole time.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
cwl011

when you say beat the piss out of it do you mean dyno time before and after?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl011 View Post
when you say beat the piss out of it do you mean dyno time before and after?
Some of that, some of the shop crew doing donuts in the parking lot, as well as the younger guys taking it to their boys house to show off that weekend.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
cwl011

it sounds like you had a bad experience, i am sure sledgehammer can work something out that they are not allowed to do that
Old 10-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbro View Post
I'm sure they would also use it to beat the piss out of a new car to see what it has before and after their mods, not something I would do unless I was literally with the car the whole time.
Why would they "beat the piss out of" it? All they need do is dyno it stock and then again with the headers. Sure, if they are "experimenting" with different configurations they may perform multiple dynos, but it won't be anything above the car's capability. It's not like they'll be testing at the local drag strip on Saturday night.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
GMGP5X

Drives: 2011 2LT RS VR 2008 Silverado 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
Has anyone ever offered their new car to a company to allow them to craft headers for it? Overall the ones I have talked to said they would give me the first full production headers and not the Frankenstein ones they will make to get measurements etc...
If it is Kooks go for it. Otherwise I would want to be there with the car!
2LT RS VR / ARK DTS Cat back exhaust / Roto-Fab CAI / RPI stealth mud guards /Defender works billet chrome door sills/ DIY painted engine cover, trunk corners, and brake rotors / RX catch can / Team LLT badges. Team LLT
GMGP5X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I'd be hesitant to do this even if it were after the break-in period for the following reasons:

1. The engine bay is tight. They will need to remove / reinstall several components many times while doing the fit checks. Do you really want a shop disassembling/reassembling your brand new car without all of the factory failsafing? I'm sure you've probably seen these pictures to gauge what would need to come off to get to the manifolds: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...83&postcount=1

2. They would undoubtedly need to run some baseline dyno runs as well as dyno runs with the new headers installed to quantify the benefit. Would they keep the calibration stock or make changes to optimize it for the new hardware? If they make cal changes, how experienced is the tuner?

3. Downtime - how long would they need the car for?

On the flip side, you'd get a "free" set of headers, but you wouldn't know how sorted out the design is up front with respect to torque curve gains, clearance, and quality of the end product (unless you could infer this based on their current offerings). Like someone said above, it probably depends on the company, but I don't think I'd take the risk on my new car.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote