Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #1
drew.87

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Dealer trying to charge for GM Intake tune (help)

Hey guys looking for some help here.
I bought the GM intake for Thatgmpartsguy and installed it. I had the dealership do the tune. When I picked up the car they told me it cost $125 for the tune. I gave them the code founded on Thatgmpartsguy to charge it. They said the would do it Monday. Well, they just called me and said that GM is not paying for it that I have to. Has anyone had this happen to them? What can I do?
Old 07-31-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The intake should have included a GM document with the charge code for the recalibration. They should have been able to use that information to charge the time. Did you receive that document with the other parts and did you take it to the dealer when you had them recalibrate for the intake?
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
drew.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
The intake should have included a GM document with the charge code for the recalibration. They should have been able to use that information to charge the time. Did you receive that document with the other parts and did you take it to the dealer when you had them recalibrate for the intake?
Yeah, I did receive it and I gave it to the dealership. They have it and they are saying it will not go through that I have to pay it.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.87 View Post
Yeah, I did receive it and I gave it to the dealership. They have it and they are saying it will not go through that I have to pay it.
So pay it and then have GM customer relations send you a check. They have done that on various C7 items.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
drew.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
So pay it and then have GM customer relations send you a check. They have done that on various C7 items.
yeah no. Not going to pay it and hope that GM does the right thing.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
So what's your plan?to just keep yelling at service manager? Try and find the general manager and see if you can get any help that way. I frankly don't want to waste the time and my stress at a dealer, I'd rather just call GM and have them send me the check or at least have them tell the dealer to do it.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
drew.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
So what's your plan?to just keep yelling at service manager? Try and find the general manager and see if you can get any help that way. I frankly don't want to waste the time and my stress at a dealer, I'd rather just call GM and have them send me the check or at least have them tell the dealer to do it.
Well no one said I am yelling. I have been talking to the service manager. He is the one that told me I have to pay for it.
The plan is asking if anyone else has run into this and if so how they got it resolved.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #8
MostlyHarmless

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Convertible
Probably going to get flamed for this, but I think the rebate for the tune is on the assumption that the dealer installed the intake - i.e. you pay for the install but you DON'T pay for the reflash - that way GM makes sure that all dealers do the reflash and don't try to cut corners.

If you install it yourself, then I think you are kinda on your own and at the mercy of the dealer on how much they want to charge you

Mark
MostlyHarmless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #9
16silverSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 2ss A8
Don't pay the dealership for the Gm tune. I also purchased the GMPP intake from that Gm parts guy and I did the install myself. I took it to the dealership and they flash the Gm tune in about 45mins. I provided them with the paper work that came with the intake. They had no problems getting the tune or getting paid for doing it.
16silverSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
Probably going to get flamed for this, but I think the rebate for the tune is on the assumption that the dealer installed the intake - i.e. you pay for the install but you DON'T pay for the reflash - that way GM makes sure that all dealers do the reflash and don't try to cut corners.

If you install it yourself, then I think you are kinda on your own and at the mercy of the dealer on how much they want to charge you

Mark
Installed mine and no hassle from my dealer at all doing the tune free of charge. Nowhere does it state it has to be dealer installed, for the tune cost to be covered, for warranty, etc.
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post

Mark

Correct, the way the CAI and tune work is you order it thru the dealer, they install it and then they reflash the ECM as part of the package price. When you order the CAI online and install it yourself and then ask the dealer to install it you are asking them to work for free.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #12
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
you are asking them to work for free.
They get paid by GM to install the tune.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #13
meilmarc

Drives: 2016 2SS, HBM, NPP, Sun Roof
Installed mines, my dealer would not do it for free, went to another dealer, they did it with no problem and charged it to GM, service advisor said he was eager to see how the process would work.
meilmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #14
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Correct, the way the CAI and tune work is you order it thru the dealer, they install it and then they reflash the ECM as part of the package price. When you order the CAI online and install it yourself and then ask the dealer to install it you are asking them to work for free.
That's not correct. My dealer had no issues getting paid for the tune only. I even asked in advance, and they told me no problem installing myself.
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote