Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 07-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Couple Questions about new 1LE stuff

preface this by saying that I haven't read the manual yet...but I usually prefer real owner's experiences to the possibly boilerplate info contained in the manuals...

1. Washing the Hood...? What methods work best on that matte wrapped finish?

2. Clear bra install? Got a quote for $1100 from my local place who has done several of my cars. That does not include the hood or anything behind the front fenders. Would it be a good idea to put some clear bra on any other particular area that may be prone to rock chips from these massive sticky tires?

3. Rev Match paddles...? I haven't used them at all yet - car only has 100 miles so far. When are these useful?

4. Skip shift elminator? Is this a thing on these cars? I had done it on my 99 z28 and my 08 C6. Is there an easy way to stop the 1-4 shift nonsense?

5. Exhaust options. Is there a way to increase exhaust sound without messing with emissions stuff or eliminating the performance exhaust on the car? For example, on my old 2016 Mustang 5.0 you could remove the resonator that runs between the cat pipe and catback muffler part to make the car louder without affecting anything else.

6. On edit - one more question...Is there a simple way to elminate the amber front corner markers - like does anyone make a clear or tinted piece that I can swap in with a clear LED that lights up amber in color? I can't find that on any of the few aftermarket sites i've explored.
Ok, I think that's it for now. Appreciate any and all help/tips!!
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
preface this by saying that I haven't read the manual yet...but I usually prefer real owner's experiences to the possibly boilerplate info contained in the manuals...

2. Clear bra install? Got a quote for $1100 from my local place who has done several of my cars. That does not include the hood or anything behind the front fenders. Would it be a good idea to put some clear bra on any other particular area that may be prone to rock chips from these massive sticky tires?

3. Rev Match paddles...? I haven't used them at all yet - car only has 100 miles so far. When are these useful?

4. Skip shift elminator? Is this a thing on these cars? I had done it on my 99 z28 and my 08 C6. Is there an easy way to stop the 1-4 shift nonsense?

5. Exhaust options. Is there a way to increase exhaust sound without messing with emissions stuff or eliminating the performance exhaust on the car? For example, on my old 2016 Mustang 5.0 you could remove the resonator that runs between the cat pipe and catback muffler part to make the car louder without affecting anything else.

6. On edit - one more question...Is there a simple way to elminate the amber front corner markers - like does anyone make a clear or tinted piece that I can swap in with a clear LED that lights up amber in color? I can't find that on any of the few aftermarket sites i've explored.
1. Wash it the same as the rest of the car, just don't put any waxes on it.

2. To each their own, but some of the quotes I've seen for installing a clear bra, you could just repaint the bumper.

3. Rev match paddles are simply and on/off switch for the auto rev match system. You will never be using them during your drive just set it to your desired mode after you start the car and leave it.

4. Yes its a thing, but its less intrusive than my 97 Z28 was. You can still get a skip shift eliminator for a few bucks just like the old 4th gen cars. Just a note. I put one on my 97 but 10k miles in on my 17 SS 1LE and I don't have any plans on getting one.

5. No resonators on these cars, but with the valves open the exhaust sounds much better than the mustang. If you're looking for more volume delete the secondary cats. There isn't a post cat O2 so its a simple cut and weld in straight pipe job. Also a forum member found a great trick to remove a small foam damper from inside the sound tube to increase the induction noise in the cabin. To me it sounds great! Like putting a cold air intake on the car! My current setup is deleted secondary cats and the sound tube trick and I think its just right! Cost me a grand total of $80 too!

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500644

6. Diode Dynamics LED side markers are available in clear or smoked. I recently got the clear ones on my white car and they look perfect!

Old 07-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
For me, Rev Match is used each time I drive the car, so it's up to you to determine if you like it during normal driving or not. The "true" intention of rev match is to automate heal/toe braking and downshifting (mostly for racing on road course). But I think it really makes the downshifts really really smooth during normal driving, so i use it all the time.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #4
JBones81

thanks guys, and MJK where did you get those Diode Dynamics markers?
Old 07-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
yank the fuse and delete the secondary cats for a real treat! I went with the borla 60606 mid pipes and am very happy with my otherwise stock exhaust.
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
FoCoCamaro

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE (Krypton Green)
Quote:
thanks guys, and MJK where did you get those Diode Dynamics markers?
https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...category/1471/
FoCoCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:

Hey bud, I'm in the area so feel free to hit me up anytime with questions. Are you keen on keeping the corner markers working? I pulled mine out and color matched them. Looks stellar!

I wash the hood just like the rest of the car, but I wash it last, and dry it first.

For clear bra, I skipped the hood and the fenders. I did the entire front bumper and the entire rocker panel. The rocker panel near the rear tires is a MUST. There is a superb Xpel installer right in P-hill.

I always engage rev match when driving on the street.

Car has skip shift, but in the 7 months I've owned the car I've hit it maybe three times. You have to shift under 3k rpm and be under 20mph or something like that, I always shift around 3500, so I never notice it.

Personally, I think the car is loud and sounds great in 'race' mode, I have no desire to make it any louder. If you do want it loud, you can put a Borla muffler on or something. A muffler alone won't affect smog or warranty.

*Note the corner markers below:

Old 07-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
Timbo-1LE

For the hood, agree wash last. I use my leaf blower to dry 90% of the car, no touch and works great on hood...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:

I currently live in a part of the country where the tap water is very soft, so I don't have to do much to keep the hood looking nice after washing it. However I used to live in Southern California and the hood was an absolute pain in the ass to keep clean due to the hard water. I finally figured out how to keep it looking relatively good most of the time in hard water areas, and it is like others have said, wash the hood as the absolute last part of the car, then immediately rinse and then dry before you rinse and dry any other part of the car. Because the wrap is black this necessitates you doing it out of direct sunlight where it will get hot and cause the water to evaporate too quickly leaving nearly impossible to remove hard water spots. I think you have much softer water than So Cal, so you may be able to get away with washing it just like the rest of the car. If that is the case you can use something like Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer as a final wipe down after washing and that would be all that is needed.

From what I have seen from 6th Gen owners, especially 1LE owners with the big sticky tires the rear quarter between the end of the door and the front of the rear tire get hit with a lot of road debris and is prone to rock chipping. This is the exact same spot this happened on the 5th Gen like mine and even rock guards don't seem to help all that much.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #10
JBones81

Thanks again for the replies - all are useful! SeanBlurr, I'm going to East Bay Auto Spa next week for clear bra install, but it's just for the front. I'll call tomorrow and see if they can also do what I think you guys are describing - the area on rear fenders in front of the rear tire, and behind the doors. Is that correct?
Instagram - @JBsCars
Old 07-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #11
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Thanks again for the replies - all are useful! SeanBlurr, I'm going to East Bay Auto Spa next week for clear bra install, but it's just for the front. I'll call tomorrow and see if they can also do what I think you guys are describing - the area on rear fenders in front of the rear tire, and behind the doors. Is that correct?
Do you see the area covered in blue tape on mjk3888 signature picture in his post on this thread? Thats the spot that people are getting rock chips, it's the same spot on the 5th Gens.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #12
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Another 1LE owner here.

I have pulled fuse #51 in the underhood panel, locks the NPP in open mode. I deleted the secondary cats as well, added about 20 volume to the exhaust sound, very aggressive now.

I have added the Roto-fab CAI and the Mishimoto catch can, that is it for my underhood mods for now.

Rev match is not on at each key cycle and cant be programmed on either, you have to turn it on at each key cycle.

I am getting the clear bra done on my front end as well, $850 for mine. I already did the rockers from the front fenders all the way back to in front of the rear wheels, it covers the entire panel in front of the rear wheels and also the lower panel line on each door as well. I went with Xpel for mine.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #13
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Not wanting to start some sort of fuse pull mod war here. However, I think it's worth letting the OP know that pulling the fuse essentially removes the ability for you to adjust exhaust through the infotainment system. Putting the car in "track" exhaust mode is nearly the exact same thing as a fuse pull EXCEPT... at low throttle in 6th gear the car will automatically close the valves to make the car as quiet as possible while cruising. Not sure why everyone insists on pulling the fuse as thats the only difference. Open valves when cruising at near idle with no heavy throttle load. As soon as you do try to accelerate you will hear the valves open.

So to recap you lose all functionality of the dual mode exhaust including stealth mode, tour mode, sport mode, and essentially you lock the car in track mode. To each their own but I personally use stealth when backing in my garage and early morning start ups to avoid pissing off the wife and neighbors. Also the wife enjoys me driving the car in stealth mode often when we're taking the car out for date night. LOL!

To me the adjustability of this car is what makes it so well rounded. Between the adjustable steering, mag ride, throttle response, and exhaust, there is no scenario this car can't tackle with near perfection. Stealth exhaust and Tour Mag Ride to the track, then track mode with PTM at the track, then stealth and tour back home. This car can do it all!
Old 07-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
WILWAXU

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 1LE
I had my hood (car) ceramic coated with Ceramic Pro. Made care for the hood the same as the rest of the car. No more hood fingerprint problems
WILWAXU is offline   Reply With Quote