Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-04-2014, 02:26 AM   #29
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
Go with the ZL1, in order to get a Vette with the goodies the ZL1 comes with you're going to be in the 60K+ range. (Magnetic shocks, ZR1 package, etc)
6ish grand more for a Vette? Go for a C7
Old 01-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #30
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SSRS View Post
It depends what you are looking for. I have a supercharged SS and my friend has a ZL1 and we have taken them to the Las Vegas drag strip and run them all night and my SS was the winner!!!! The suspension and stock motors verse would be a whole nother story. I have a Magnuson TVS2300, exhaust, intake, 160 thermostat, 3.4 pulley, ZL1 fuel pump and a dyno tune and I have 570RWHP (660 crank HP)and 569RWTQ measured mid Aug in the desert heat so in the cooler air = more power. Really up to you in my opinion, I love my SS and love that people underestimate it. Let me know if you have any questions.
I totally agree with this post!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #31
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
At some point in life , one has to forget about the back seats

It tend to give cramps ,

Is that the "No Tell Motel" I see up ahead!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #32
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRide View Post
Hey trust me, I agree. But I have kids and am not at that point. The OP may or may not be. Why I said something to consider.

Isn't that what the trunk is for??? LOL
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #33
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Very interesting thread. I have just thought of this myself yesterday when comparing the price vs packages between one of 3 models I will be placing an order for very soon. I want to take advantage of GM's low financing rates right now (between .49% and 1.99%) just to ease the sting to my bank account.
The choice is between:
1 -SS1, 1LE, NPP
2 -SS2, 1LE, NPP
3 -ZL1
Biweekly payments including all taxes are:
1 -$181
2 -$212
3 -$283

Is the ZL1 worth the extra $$ ?? Not going to race, maybe one day track the car just for fun.
I've never been in a ZL1, only test driven an SS2. I'm newly converted to the Camaro having just left 30 yrs in the dark side (dare I say Mopar). Had many older muscle cars over the years (one 1969 Vette) but now looking at only opening the hood to change the oil !!

Great site here, looking forward to input.

***Not trying to hijack the OP.
SSMY1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #34
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Take it from someone that had a 2010 2SS/rs and went to a ZL1. I too had the same thoughts as everyone else about moding the 2010 versus buying the ZL1. I wanted to be at 500 HP at the wheels and already had the cash to pull the trigger. The ZL1 had the HP and so much more and the best part ( to me anyways) is the warranty on the track. So go mod your SS and if it breaks you better have some deep pockets for repairs. Unfortunately I don't. It isn't all about high HP. You will see when you test drive the ZL1 for it is an awesome all around vehicle. Really look at the technology that is in this car and really compare.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #35
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Rob View Post
Very interesting thread. I have just thought of this myself yesterday when comparing the price vs packages between one of 3 models I will be placing an order for very soon. I want to take advantage of GM's low financing rates right now (between .49% and 1.99%) just to ease the sting to my bank account.
The choice is between:
1 -SS1, 1LE, NPP
2 -SS2, 1LE, NPP
3 -ZL1
Biweekly payments including all taxes are:
1 -$181
2 -$212
3 -$283

Is the ZL1 worth the extra $$ ?? Not going to race, maybe one day track the car just for fun.
I've never been in a ZL1, only test driven an SS2. I'm newly converted to the Camaro having just left 30 yrs in the dark side (dare I say Mopar). Had many older muscle cars over the years (one 1969 Vette) but now looking at only opening the hood to change the oil !!

Great site here, looking forward to input.

***Not trying to hijack the OP.
I'm a bit confused because you said you'd be placing an order soon, yet your info says you are driving a 2014 1LE. If you're already bought the 1LE, please disregard this. If you haven't decided yet, you should try to test drive an SS and a ZL1 in a place that you can really get on them. I'm saying this because I didn't. I always test drive cars as if I'm borrowing the car and the owner is in it with me. So the first time I really got on my 2012 SS was after the long break in period. I was disappointed. It felt no faster than the BMW 135i that I had been driving. Despite having 126 more HP, the SS acceleration was only a slight bit faster 0-60. So, I got the cam, headers, high flow cats and a tune. It was faster and sounded a lot better, but still didn't have the power I wanted. So a year later I had the Maggie and all the associated hardware installed. That did it. It is just what I wanted. It has low end power like I remembered from the 427 Vette I was lucky enough to drive for a little while in the 80's and more overall acceleration than anything I've owned with 4 wheels. The thing is, when I bought the Camaro I didn't plan on spending close to $20,000 on mods. Make sure you know what you want. If you're looking for power and can afford the ZL1 try to determine if the SS will satisfy you or if you be better off to buy the ZL1.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #36
1 SIK SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS
Going in today to go look at a black zl1. If the numbers are right and after I test drive it I feel it's worth it, goodbye to my SS
1 SIK SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #37
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 SIK SS View Post
Going in today to go look at a black zl1. If the numbers are right and after I test drive it I feel it's worth it, goodbye to my SS
You'll probably go for the Z after going this route because obviously it's going to feel awesome compared to your 160 hp less car.... but then again if you went and test drove your car with a supercharger on it you might feel differently about shelling out an additional 30k+. Just a Thought!

Also when asking people which car you should go with of course the ZL1 guys are going to say the Z and how great it is and how they had the SS and Blah Blah blah..and vice versa with the supercharged SS guys, so a lot of biased opinions obviously.
Just like this one................

"I 100 percent feel the best bang for the buck is a 1LE, it is essentially the same car as a ZL1 stock minus the blower and the magnetic ride(shocks).
So one grab a blower and take care of that problem and 2 who cares about magnetic shocks really. The 1LE handles great for the average person who is not tracking there car, are you really going to notice magnetic shocks, short answer NO!!"

I was actually debating trading my 1LE very recently for the ZL1, like a couple weeks ago recent, but it was this thinking above that made me choose the smart choice. I will say if I were in your situation having a 2010 SS and having a little equity in it, I would have to reevaluate everything but having the 1LE it was really a no brainer.

Good luck in your choice, I'm sure you'll be happy either way.....These Cars supercharged, well you know.......
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #38
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
I'm a bit confused because you said you'd be placing an order soon, yet your info says you are driving a 2014 1LE. If you're already bought the 1LE, please disregard this. If you haven't decided yet, you should try to test drive an SS and a ZL1 in a place that you can really get on them. I'm saying this because I didn't. I always test drive cars as if I'm borrowing the car and the owner is in it with me. So the first time I really got on my 2012 SS was after the long break in period. I was disappointed. It felt no faster than the BMW 135i that I had been driving. Despite having 126 more HP, the SS acceleration was only a slight bit faster 0-60. So, I got the cam, headers, high flow cats and a tune. It was faster and sounded a lot better, but still didn't have the power I wanted. So a year later I had the Maggie and all the associated hardware installed. That did it. It is just what I wanted. It has low end power like I remembered from the 427 Vette I was lucky enough to drive for a little while in the 80's and more overall acceleration than anything I've owned with 4 wheels. The thing is, when I bought the Camaro I didn't plan on spending close to $20,000 on mods. Make sure you know what you want. If you're looking for power and can afford the ZL1 try to determine if the SS will satisfy you or if you be better off to buy the ZL1.
Thanks for the input, I fixed my info.
Don't think I'll be racing much any more, I've been drag racing for 35 years and just want to have a nice car with a warranty and AC. I should probably stick with the 1LE as it does look great and the extra 20g's although worth it, won't suite my needs. It'll come down to the 1SS or 2SS I'm sure.
SSMY1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #39
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Rob View Post
Thanks for the input, I fixed my info.
Don't think I'll be racing much any more, I've been drag racing for 35 years and just want to have a nice car with a warranty and AC. I should probably stick with the 1LE as it does look great and the extra 20g's although worth it, won't suite my needs. It'll come down to the 1SS or 2SS I'm sure.
You'll love it. Although I was initially disappointed in the acceleration, I have loved mine from the day I bought it.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #40
1 SIK SS
Account Suspended

So just came back from dealer. Got them down to $55,000 . They where asking $59,000for a brand new 2013 zl1 they have left. But then comes the part where they offered me $20,000 for my SS with 34,000 miles. Are they crazy? I was expecting minimum $23,000 to break even. I owe about 23 24. Looks like I'll just be supercharging my ss
Old 01-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #41
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 SIK SS View Post
Having a hard time deciding. I have a 2010 SS with 34,000 miles. Was going to supercharge it end if this month but now I'm thinking about just trading it in on a brand new zl1 that I can get for $55,000. Is the extra $200 more a month in payments really worth it? Money is not an issue just deciding if to go zl1 or not
I would just trade the SS in for a used 1LS
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #42
1 SIK SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squillo View Post
I would just trade the SS in for a used 1LS
Sure