Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-10-2022, 09:50 AM   #155
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Even Texas charges more than the Feds.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:03 AM   #156
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Price of oil is GLOBAL. POTUS and Congress have zero influence. Today it is $114/bbl. For everybody. No matter where you live.

Cost to convert to gasoline sits with the petroleum companies. Very little influence by POTUS or Congress. And that impact tends to be long-term (several years forward), not short term (months).

Federal gasoline tax is $0.18. That is one lever Congress can pull. I’ve never seen it happen.

State gasoline taxes vary wildly. Michigan is $0.27 and there is discussion of waiving it during the Russian invasion of Ukraine. California is at $0.51. Pennsylvania is the highest at $0.587.

So, basically, Federal and State government (the people I can vote for or against) impact on MY gas prices totals $0.45. Other states will have different tax loads, but the highest would be Pennsylvania at $0.767. So where’s the rest of the price at the pump?

The rest is global price of oil (US governments have no affect here) and whatever profits the petroleum companies decide they need to make this quarter. Makes me wonder…is anyone pressuring the oil companies to maybe settle for a little less profit for a quarter or two to help out the common consumer? If so, I haven’t heard about it.

Complete respect to you and automotive knowledge but have to respectfully disagree that a POTUS or Congress has very little influence. An administration that is pushing green while stifling another industry can have tremendous snowball effects. Many also feel a weak administration can create problems globally that contributed to our current situation, but some don’t want to see any connection to that.

Just curious if you think Mary’s $40 million in 2020 is ok. I think GM vehicles are too much. They made lots of profit since we bailed them out. Can’t they cut vehicle prices. All the GM EV’s I want are over $100k.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:25 AM   #157
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Complete respect to you and automotive knowledge but have to respectfully disagree that a POTUS or Congress has very little influence. An administration that is pushing green while stifling another industry can have tremendous snowball effects. Many also feel a weak administration can create problems globally that contributed to our current situation, but some don’t want to see any connection to that.

Just curious if you think Mary’s $40 million in 2020 is ok. I think GM vehicles are too much. They made lots of profit since we bailed them out. Can’t they cut vehicle prices. All the GM EV’s I want are over $100k.
That’s the long term effects I referred to. Years to impact as opposed to months. Pushing an agenda for more EVs in the 2030-ish timeframe is a strategic move. Raising gas prices on a Tuesday in 2022 is a tactical response. Chess vs checkers. It’s like responding to a Queen’s Gambit opening by jumping three pieces and yelling “Crown me”.

With regards to Mary’s compensation… not my swimlane, and not relevant to this thread, but in my opinion CEOs in general, including Mary, earn well beyond their value to the organizations they lead. That includes petroleum company CEOs. I guess that now makes it thread relevant.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:34 AM   #158
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
You're their huckleberry! and they're counting on millions of others to buy an EV but careful about saying you are "pushed" into one. That's not allowed....lol.
The cliff isn't that far away, but who cares. Gas is expensive, but needlessly being forced into buying a 60K-100K plus EV isn't. Also don't consider what electricity cost or availability will be at the time, that shouldn't be considered either....lol

In six months, gas will be even higher. But when it drops five cents a gallon, then things will be ok...lol...

Voting has consequences....This madness is all totally unnecessary.
Couldn't agree more... Gas will be back down before midterms. Inflation and gas prices will magically be fixed by the fall. After they screw us all summer long.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:22 PM   #159
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
With regards to Mary’s compensation… not my swimlane, and not relevant to this thread, but in my opinion CEOs in general, including Mary, earn well beyond their value to the organizations they lead. That includes petroleum company CEOs. I guess that now makes it thread relevant.
That is an understatement. If these CEOs disappeared altogether, nobody would notice, unless their comp was redirected to line workers.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:24 PM   #160
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
91 octane is approaching $7 here! My buddy laughs at me because he drives an EV.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:35 PM   #161
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Yes the madness is totally unnecessary.Thats what happens when idiots get in positions of power.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:56 PM   #162
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
91 octane is approaching $7 here! My buddy laughs at me because he drives an EV.
Their day is coming. As EV's get more popular taxes/mile etc... EV's will not always be cheaper to drive. Only until they get enough people to adopt them.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:09 PM   #163
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Price of oil is GLOBAL. POTUS and Congress have zero influence. Today it is $114/bbl. For everybody. No matter where you live.

Cost to convert to gasoline sits with the petroleum companies. Very little influence by POTUS or Congress. And that impact tends to be long-term (several years forward), not short term (months).

Federal gasoline tax is $0.18. That is one lever Congress can pull. I’ve never seen it happen.

State gasoline taxes vary wildly. Michigan is $0.27 and there is discussion of waiving it during the Russian invasion of Ukraine. California is at $0.51. Pennsylvania is the highest at $0.587.

So, basically, Federal and State government (the people I can vote for or against) impact on MY gas prices totals $0.45. Other states will have different tax loads, but the highest would be Pennsylvania at $0.767. So where’s the rest of the price at the pump?

The rest is global price of oil (US governments have no affect here) and whatever profits the petroleum companies decide they need to make this quarter. Makes me wonder…is anyone pressuring the oil companies to maybe settle for a little less profit for a quarter or two to help out the common consumer? If so, I haven’t heard about it.
Spot on

FYI, oil companies made 174b last year. B as in billion.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:25 PM   #164
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Complete respect to you and automotive knowledge but have to respectfully disagree that a POTUS or Congress has very little influence. An administration that is pushing green while stifling another industry can have tremendous snowball effects. Many also feel a weak administration can create problems globally that contributed to our current situation, but some don’t want to see any connection to that. .
We recently released reserves and convinced other nations to increase output so I guess that’s an example of a small influence. I believe we in talks once again with other opec nations.

Your weakness comment is a subjective perception that would be hard to prove... Imo it more probable that Putin lost leverage, which then triggered his aggression.

Inflation, strong economy, Putin—oil companies are doing REALLY well.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:28 PM   #165

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

No effect, no influence?? You must be kidding. Day one President arbitrarily eliminates the Keystone Pipeline Project, bans future off-shore and federal leases, adds permits and road-blocks to existing ones. Re-joining the Paris Accords ensured US production was lessened.The price of gas has been rising since day one of this administration and the global price has gone up as the US production has gone down. Their avowed policy is to end the fossil fuel industry.

Here's the "no-effect" Congress and its policies piling on the bs the oil companies have to deal with from October of last year...Their anti-fossil fuel policies and threats have consequences.

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #166
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Spot on

FYI, oil companies made 174b last year. B as in billion.
Oil prices and oil company profits are the one thing/only thing I wish was actually regulated by the government. I keep seeing people mention the price of oil per barrel is the same for everyone. As a middle eastern American, I can tell you that’s not true. It is not 4 dollars a gallon in middle eastern countries because their governments have say over their oil prices. It’s literally less than $4 bucks to fill up a camaro with 95 (not even 93) octane in the country my nationality is lol. Again before everyone gets their panties in a bunch I clearly said “only thing” I wish was regulated by the government meaning nothing else should be.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:37 PM   #167
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
No effect, no influence?? You must be kidding. Day one President arbitrarily eliminates the Keystone Pipeline Project, bans future off-shore and federal leases, adds permits and road-blocks to existing ones. Re-joining the Paris Accords ensured US production was lessened.The price of gas has been rising since day one of this administration and the global price has gone up as the US production has gone down. Their avowed policy is to end the fossil fuel industry.

Here's the "no-effect" Congress and its policies piling on the bs the oil companies have to deal with from October of last year...Their anti-fossil fuel policies and threats have consequences.

Pipeline is just a pipeline and with no effect on production.

As far as production we were the largest producer of oil last year and surpassed the previous year. I believe this year we are on pace to surpass last year. Not to beat a dead horse but we have become incredibly efficient at producing oil. MURICA!

Inflation, strong economy, Putin—oil companies are doing REALLY well.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:40 PM   #168
jamala00

Quote:
Now that is what is "Spot On"!