Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #43
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP'N B View Post
Maybe I got the concept wrong, as far as I know direct injection is fuel that is injected directly into the cylinder, not the intake port, therefore there is no fuel in the incoming air charge until the injector sprays it into the cylinder. The same way a cam sensor tells the coils when to fire so it could tell the injector when to fire causing the heated by compression air charge to explode. We already use a throttle sensor and electronics to control the air/fuel ratio, the only thing a diesel has different than a gas engine is a governor. Diesels do have throttles. LOL
Direct injection does directly spray the fuel into the cylinder, but if I understand it correctly, it injects it during the intake stroke, so an air/fuel mixture is still there during the compression stroke. The evaporation of some of the fuel right in the cylinder cools it, allowing for a somewhat higher compression ratio without detonation. The timing is still determined by a spark. With a diesel, only air is compressed for the compression stroke (at least most of it) with the timing of ignition determined by injecting the fuel at exactly the right moment.

And yes, some newer diesels may have "throttles" but the purpose and workings is different (mainly for emissions...also having a way to close off the intake in the rare event of a runaway, too). They are still not "throttled" in the same sense that a gas engine is, and it is not strictly necessary to have one for a diesel to work. A diesel's air/fuel ratio range is large, with power determined more by how much fuel is put in alone (up to an upper limit depending on the available quantity of air), where with gas, the fuel has to be carefully metered to stay fairly close to its 14.7 ratio, so power is more strictly controlled by the amount of air allowed in, as that more closely determines how much fuel can be mixed in.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #44
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
Interesting discussion!

CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #45
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I think the 5.3 in the Camaro is the worst idea I have ever heard. A twin turbo V6 would be so much better, let the NA guys have the LT1 and give the FI guys a TT engine. Although Dodge did it successfully with the RT and SRT lineups. I guess it isnt the worse thing afterall but I still prefer a TT to mod the hell out of easily.
I totally agree with you. That would completly kill the Camaro sales. Sorry but I dont believe it gonna happen. If its happening, I'll be done with GM and get a 5.0 or a Challenger 5.7. Unless that 5.3 is a high rev mofo with same hp as a LS3.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #46
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
I would be happy with a H.O. 5.3L in the range of 390-410HP if the 6th Gen weighed in at around 3300-3400lbs........
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #47
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Think of this, with direct injection there is no potential for detonation, a diesel engine has no spark plugs, it uses high compression to produce heat high enough to burn diesel fuel. You can throw a match in a bucket of diesel and it will go out. Gas explodes. So a high compression gas engine with direct injection could possibly do away with spark plugs. Superchargers and turbos are the future, and so are Over Head Cam engines GM needs to step it up a notch or 2 and get rid of the dinosaur pushrod engines.

Isn't the pushrod engine a newer design than the OHC?

I challenge you to put GM's dinosaur pushrod against anything else on the market in terms of weight, power, and efficiency.

There's a reason they're not pulling away from the tried-and-true design.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #48
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
The LT1 has been announced as making "450+ hp". A 5.3 = .85 of the 6.2's displacement. Simple (?!) math would say a 5.3 built/tuned similarly to the LT1 "should" make at least 385+...perhaps more...with undoubtedly better mpg. considering the coming trannies that will be available, combined with lighter Curb Weight and improved aero considerations.
It doesn't quite work that way. Horsepower is more determined by the bore size. Larger bores = larger valves = more air flow = more horsepower. Shorter strokes = higher rpm = more horsepower. Unfortunately, the 5.3L engine is just a 6.2L with a smaller bore.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #49
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
It doesn't quite work that way. Horsepower is more determined by the bore size. Larger bores = larger valves = more air flow = more horsepower. Shorter strokes = higher rpm = more horsepower. Unfortunately, the 5.3L engine is just a 6.2L with a smaller bore.

Michael
...and fewer pumping losses...

BTW, a 3.99" bore and the 4.8's 3.268" stroke has you @ 5.3L...and that dimension easily supports 2.05/1.59 valves...with a greater redline than the longer-stroke 6.2. And VVT "adjusts" the torque...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 03-19-2013 at 01:43 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #50
ChevyCowboy
Lining Up!

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS, Summit white, M6,
Send a message via MSN to ChevyCowboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Isn't the pushrod engine a newer design than the OHC?

I challenge you to put GM's dinosaur pushrod against anything else on the market in terms of weight, power, and efficiency.

There's a reason they're not pulling away from the tried-and-true design.
Yes the push rod engine is a newer design then a ohc, also the v8 came long before 1961 when buddy was born lol
Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #51
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
(QUOTE) You really have no clue what amazing things gm is accomplishing with the pushrod v8 do you? (A) Yes I do, I was born in 1961, I think I came before the V8.

(QUOTE) With overhead cam engine you have to rev them out to get any performance at all. (A)This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, it's the same thing as a cam in block. The cam HAS to turn in conjunction with the crankshaft. The placement and the amount of cams is different, the drive is the same. Just a bit more expensive.

(Quote)Go buy a BMW or get educated... (A) Not only foreign cars have OHC I'm, sure there are a few floating around GM, FORD, DODGE already. I need to get educated???? 1 of you is 24 and the other is 26, I was taking apart gas and diesel engines when you were still a lump in your dad's pants.

Ok maybe not a dinosaur, I was born before the V8 so I may be considered a dinosaur LOL.

The pushrod is a weak link, the lifters are a weak link and the valve train instability probably cause more total engine failures than probably any other failure. The OHC engine lends itself to better valve train stability and higher performance, higher revving engines. OHC design is a bit more expensive. But you spend money anyway to make your engines more powerful.

What about the possibility of doing away with spark plugs. Nothing at all was commented on that.

People feel the same about carburetors and fuel injection. Some embrace different technology some don't.
Cool story bro, but Cadillac had a production V8 in 1914. They weren't even the first. Rolls Royce and Renault did it before in small quantities. You are not older than the V8 engine.

Last edited by revychevy; 03-19-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: (
revychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #52
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
I would be happy with a H.O. 5.3L in the range of 390-410HP if the 6th Gen weighed in at around 3300-3400lbs........
I would not be happy with that, because the Ford Coyote pumps out 420hp with 5.0liter...

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #53
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Out of all that I got owners of the Corvette are generally 40 years old or higher. Guess ill be getting a C8 when my time comes.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:04 AM   #54
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
I would not be happy with that, because the Ford Coyote pumps out 420hp with 5.0liter...
Yes but that's the only v8 they offer as where this would be the base v8 option sorta like the 305 of the 3rd gens and the 6.2 would be the 350 and make a lot more power then the 5.0.(atleast for now) I think a 1ss with a 5.3 and more mpg friendly gears at a lower cost would help sales and then allow the 2ss to be offered with the big boy 6.2 at a higher cost and better gearing.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #55
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Something to keep in mind when comparing Coyotes to other critters is the physical size of Ford's OHC V8s...much larger in width and height than the SBC. Weighs more, too.

So now you run into packaging issues. More boiler room required. Cowl height and frontal area issues. And don't forget a Lincoln 4-dr is supposed to share the next-Gen Stang chassis, too. If so, Lincoln will have input as to body-chassis structure and specs, just as Cadillac has with the Alpha derivatives.

There's an opportunity for GM to create a Gen-6 Camaro that, for once in a long-long time, is the same size or even smaller/lighter than the next-Gen Stang...and the physical size of the SBC plays a part in that overall physicality.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #56
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I think a 1ss with a 5.3 and more mpg friendly gears at a lower cost would help sales and then allow the 2ss to be offered with the big boy 6.2 at a higher cost and better gearing.[/QUOTE]

yep, this has been part of my point..if they can get those HP ratings out of a smaller displaced engine, they can get better MPG's with it and in turn, keep the super high, even supercharged beasts in the line-up. But Honestly with less rotating mass, the 5.3L will rev quicker, will have comparable power and the 6th gen will weigh less thus making an awesome track car..with good MPG's LOL
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation