Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
pecothern

Drives: 2013 SS VERT
Camaro SS2 2013 unlocks doors 3 times every start

My car was bought salvage title. It had been stolen and stripped down to the body. Vin says its a 2013 but it was rebuilt front cap, dash and doors with 2014 parts. I do have the scosche unit that works perfect except for lock and unlock button do nothing. I was told that fxn doesnt work on 2014 and i assume i have a 2014 BCM and wiring harness. In other words there was no lock button by the radio so this suppose to be expected behavior from this kit. I found this thread with same symptoms but no one was able to help him http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404174

When I start my car it unlocks the doors then clicks 2 more times. The buttons work fine on the door at all times. I then shift out of park and the doors lock then unlock if shift back into park. Problem is if I start car and quickly shift to reverse then doors unlock and click twice and never lock unless I shift back to park and out of park. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by pecothern; 12-04-2016 at 09:50 PM.
pecothern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
Camarobomb.com

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
The only advise I could possibly offer might be to plug up a scanner and see if any security codes are being thrown around? My old BMW did something similar turned out the security box (don't know technical name) was needing to be replaced, thing looked half cooked when they took it out ��
Camarobomb.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Nvm
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
pecothern

Does anyone know where the BCM module that controls the locks are?
Old 12-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #5
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I have a 2013 2SS and there is no lock/unlock button by the radio, the buttons are on door panel. Unfortunately, it sounds like they may have piece-milled your car back together using parts from various years (based on what you've posted). If this is the case, you may find some issues, like the one you've described, that are hard to trace down and fix. Have owned a salvaged vehicle myself with a few issues and, fortunately, although some were difficult to trace down/figure out, they turned out to be minor and were easily fixed. In the end it turned out to be a great vehicle and a great buy. Hope this turns out to be true for you as well ... good luck.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
pecothern

Thanks Welker2. I am in love with this car. The only way I was able to afford it really is because it was salvage title. It's had quite a few quirks, Like the foglights wouldn't come on , it was missing the engine cover, etc. Ive worked everything out except for this locking Issue. I'm wondering if I have the wrong year BCM. It sorta acts like there is a unlock wire shorted somewhere.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #7
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecothern View Post
Thanks Welker2. I am in love with this car. The only way I was able to afford it really is because it was salvage title. It's had quite a few quirks, Like the foglights wouldn't come on , it was missing the engine cover, etc. Ive worked everything out except for this locking Issue. I'm wondering if I have the wrong year BCM. It sorta acts like there is a unlock wire shorted somewhere.
I don't think it has fog lights. I think it has Daytime Running Lights. ZL1 has true fog lights.

Maybe post some pics of your interior and engine compartment along with VIN? Then the members may be able to figure out what you have.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
If the symptoms are the same every time, (unlocks, clicks twice), then it isn't a short. It's being told to do that by the bcm. A short would be intermittent and random. Luckily just a minor issue. Enjoy the new ride!
Old 02-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
pecothern

I want to ask for help again. Does anyone know which BCM controls the door locks. I still have this crazy symptom. My car unlocks and then clicks trying to unlock 2 more times everytime I start the car. We scanned the car and there are no code related to the locks. I do have an aftermarket radio and a scosche dash kit. I was told 2013 had no center unlock button by radio.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
My car does 3 clickso upon start up. Only if the car has been off for more than 5 min. Was like that when I bought new. Dealer contacted gm about it. I was told it's the car doing a self diagnostic tests. 3 clicks is normal. I've never had any issue with it. Now the not locking in reverse I don't know about.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #11
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
Pecothern,

I don't believe I can solve your issue directly myself, but I do have a couple pieces of information, and a suggestion that might help you to reach the end result you are looking for. By the way, very nice looking car, it is really unique being a 2013 but with 14-15 body parts and dash. That's cool, because it has a unique story of surviving a harsh past. You can really mess with guys like me that try to look at stuff like that to identify a car's model year and such.

Anyway, I previously had a 2011 Camaro 1LS, and it only had a lock button beneath the stereo. Only window controls were on the door panels. My current 2015 1SS 1LE has them on the door panels. I want to say the change occurred either in 2012 or 2013 though, but somewhere in there may have been dependent on trim and if one had the AM/FM/CD radio or the MyLink radio determining the location. (Maybe a 2012 owner could chime in with specifics on that note) I also believe one of those model years had MyLink as an optional upgrade rather than standard equipment on certain trims, so that may play a factor here as well.

I believe you are correct in trying to chase this down based on that possibility. However, you mentioned having an aftermarket stereo installed. I know on the 5th Gens in general, a lot of the vehicle's options are controlled through the in dash stereo menus. Because it is not a factory head unit, my guess would be the dealerships won't be able to do much for you beyond whatever their info bulletins tell the techs about various common issues.

My suggestion would be to take it to a specialty shop that works on and installs aftermarket stereo equipment on cars. That, or a retail chain like Best Buy that has an auto tech bay and possibly a tenured staffer who has seen some of these types of issues crop up before and knows how to correct them. It may cost a diagnostic fee, or you could have a back up camera installed or something (if yours doesn't have one) and mention the issue and see if they can trace it down for you and fix it while doing the paid job. You'll just have to see what plays out. If anyone could either fix it quickly, or at the very least, offer some direction on where to look, it would be someone like that.

Good luck to you, and I hope you're able to find a solution.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #12
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I wonder if the car is unlocking the doors thinking it was shifted into Park? You know how the doors auto-unlock for you when you shift to Park.

Try turning that option OFF in the DLC if you can. Worth a shot if it's there.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro unclock sound 3 times