Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #85
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I would actually say "in touch" with what the customer wants. Just because it's available doesn't mean the car needs it or the customers want it.

You are falling into the internet problem by assuming because you want it, everyone must want it so therefor GM must be out of touch for not having it.

I've driven many GM cars that had locking fuel doors.

GM just isn't going to default to demands of a few customers. Most, I'd wager, like me, could not care less.

As for siphoning? Very tough to do these days and has been for a while now.

For someone contaminating your fuel? Not sure I've ever read a case of that on this website in over 10 years. Very rare.

So GM isn't really motivated to offer a feature that prevents 2 very rare occurrences. If that many people were demanding it, you would see it on more cars.
If GM were truly "in touch" with its customers, they would NEVER have gone forward with the 2019 fugly facelift...
Old 06-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #86
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Hilariously, the cars that usually have a lock in my experience are family cars, while sports cars don't tend to have it. I recall buddy's Mustang didn't have one either, but my Accord's did(you have to push a lever in the car to open it, and the lever can be locked).

And according to GM Authority, the capless filler design makes it hard to siphon out all the gas.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gene...s-fuel-filler/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
If GM were truly "in touch" with its customers, they would NEVER have gone forward with the 2019 fugly facelift...
Are we doing this again... It grew on me, and lots of people compliment the car in my experience. You can't please everyone.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #87
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
For some reason, I seem to remember my 5th Gen Camaro having a locking fuel door. Maybe that was my base model Camry, I dont recall.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #88
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
For some reason, I seem to remember my 5th Gen Camaro having a locking fuel door. Maybe that was my base model Camry, I dont recall.
I had 2 5th gens and neither one had a locking fuel door. In fact, I've owned probably 40 GM vehicles in my lifetime and don't recall any with locking fuel doors.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #89
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Yeah, my 2013 2SS 1LE didn't have a locking fuel door. And, as others have said, I swear I remember a similar thread back then too...
Old 06-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #90
Wontspeak

Drives: 1SS 1LE
It’s plastic right, a chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link, probably be defeated with a house key *laughs*
Wontspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #91
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
I am not as concerned of someone siphoning as I am of someone putting something in my tank.

I think for that purpose the capless design works well, unless someone has a extender tube with them and is on a mission, in which case you are screwed regardless. That's what insurance is for.

For the typical teenager trouble maker, they aren't carrying an extender with them and can't gain access to open the valve.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #92
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
As far the concern of someone wanting to put crap in your gas tank, think about this for second. If they really are so pissed at you, or are so anti-social that they are willing to toast your $12,000 engine, do you really think that they are going to give a crap about damaging your gas door?
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #93
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I thought tire slashing is all the rage.

If you live in a neighbourhood where "punk kids" putting crap in your gas tank is a concern, moving is a good idea.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #94
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
I always loved when my locking tank door would get ice in it during the winter while I was at work, and then not open when I went to get gas after. I would have to put something in it to hold tension on it while I hit the button, or ask a stranger for assistance.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:50 PM   #95
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
I have multiple GM vehicles, and unfortunately, none of them have locking fuel doors. I purchased a locking gas cap for each of them. That's how I deter would be vandals/siphoners on my 5th gen. I don't like these "capless" systems on the newer cars. I don't see the value in it versus just having a cap that screws in to seal off the fuel system. I hope you 6th gen guys with similar concerns are able to find a solution.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #96

Drives: na
Thank You Richard79 for the dealer link. I sent them a message today. My sincere apologies for the thread bump. Despite my encouragement otherwise, this appears to have again prompted further controversy and comments on the efficacy on fuel access security (albeit minimizing vandalism, or fuel theft). I have had Stant locking fuel caps on all my Camaros except the 2020. So far, these are not available (ford security quick fill cap will not fit, I gather). Locking fuel doors are available, but having a visible lock on the fuel door seem a bit provocative in and of itself. Either way, thanks again for the dealer link and I hope you enjoy your purchase. Hopefully the dealer will respond.
member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #97
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
When was the last time a US car came with a lock on the fuel door or cap?

I can't think back that far.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote