Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
And thanks again Ryan, I know a ton of LS folks out there and they always ask me why I am using you, and I simply tell them, you are Mister L99.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I think further clarification or specificity is in order before a suitable response can be had. You cannot attribute an 11 second quarter mile run to the achievement of the tuner alone. Within the same relevance, you could ask which tires have had the most 11 second runs, which cold air kits, which suspension parts, transmission etc.

If all conditions are the same and you're questioning whether a full bolt on, proper suspension and tire car will hit 11's with the right tune or not, isn't doing the tuner or anyone else any justice. I highly, highly doubt that a tuner will make a substantial enough of a difference over another tuner as to warrant credit issued for the resulting quarter mile run in that range. If you were talking about single digit runs, then of course, your tune/tuner becomes an even more critical part of the equation.

Tuner A may get you 15rwhp and 10rwtq and Tuner B may get you 20rwhp and 15rwtq. In our heavy cars, that amount of horsepower is exceedingly negligible. Even if there was a decent amount of power under the curve and not just peak numbers. Too many factors at play.
Tuner a's tune and tuner b's tune may be the difference in 12.0s and 11.90s. On the auto cars, the trans tune is key. To get a bolt on car in the 11s, the entire tune has to be spot on, there isn't much if any room for any error.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #17
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I know a ton of local guys with cams and I'm within a tenth of them. Tuning is key. I was at the track yesterday and a buddy's h/c combo is shifting into 5th before the traps with 3.70 gears. He's already in touch with ^^^ to fix his tune.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #18
white ZL1

Drives: none
It's hard to argue the success that Ryan has had with these cars. Both his and other forum members cars.

I've been at the track on a friday/saturday night with people that had Ryan tune their cars and he was emailing them updated tunes. Never seen that before. How's that for customer service?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #19
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
Nice you did your own tune cool
Which system you use HP SCT, etc?

Thanks for sharing
None of the above. Its a secret...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #20
ARES5
ARES5

Drives: 2012 1SS Victory Red
Old 10-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #21
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
Tuner a's tune and tuner b's tune may be the difference in 12.0s and 11.90s. On the auto cars, the trans tune is key. To get a bolt on car in the 11s, the entire tune has to be spot on, there isn't much if any room for any error.
While I agree to an extent, I think a tune is only a factor when the whole consideration is being made. My point was, his inquiry was far too vague to elicit the response I think he was hoping for. I'm familiar with how important a spot on tune is but I think that takes away from the importance of the rest of the setup when gunning for a specific quarter mile time. It seems as though he was placing too much emphasis on the tune being the deciding factor.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #22
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
I will add this to this subject, Rhino not only has helped lots of Bolt On Only cars to get in the 11's but he has had a hand in the fastest cars out! Not to mention he himself owns the record for Fastest cammed NA Camaro!! And now trying to go faster!
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #23
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
I think you missed the 11 second club part
Are you in the 11 second club?
If so do share tuner and mods if you care to
Why did you even make this thread? You pose a question, people tell you the reality of the situation and you close your ears and try and cherrypick the quotes you want to hear. Are you looking for just a bunch of people to agree with you and reinforce your opinion? Wheels, tires, gearing and weight reduction will get you into the 11's far more easily than any bolt-ons and tuning will. Unless you add major power adders like bigger cubes, a very large H/C package or forced induction, you're not going to see much of a difference between tuner when it comes to ET's. If you want a dyno queen that never sees any kind of real strip time, find yourself a really good tuner. If you want to get into the 11's stop looking for a tuner and fix your gearing, suspension and make the car hook. All you need for 11's are wheels, tires, some suspension, bolt-ons and a basic tune. Any dynotune from any half-decent tuner will do.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #24
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
While I agree to an extent, I think a tune is only a factor when the whole consideration is being made. My point was, his inquiry was far too vague to elicit the response I think he was hoping for. I'm familiar with how important a spot on tune is but I think that takes away from the importance of the rest of the setup when gunning for a specific quarter mile time. It seems as though he was placing too much emphasis on the tune being the deciding factor.
I said what I meant and those that understand the language of those that run the cars answered quite nicely
It's just a specific topic conversation (no controversy)
BTW there are plenty with the same mods on here that aren't in the 11's
So the difference ..... You guessed it the tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Why did you even make this thread? You pose a question, people tell you the reality of the situation and you close your ears and try and cherrypick the quotes you want to hear. Are you looking for just a bunch of people to agree with you and reinforce your opinion? Wheels, tires, gearing and weight reduction will get you into the 11's far more easily than any bolt-ons and tuning will. Unless you add major power adders like bigger cubes, a very large H/C package or forced induction, you're not going to see much of a difference between tuner when it comes to ET's. If you want a dyno queen that never sees any kind of real strip time, find yourself a really good tuner. If you want to get into the 11's stop looking for a tuner and fix your gearing, suspension and make the car hook. All you need for 11's are wheels, tires, some suspension, bolt-ons and a basic tune. Any dynotune from any half-decent tuner will do.
Read between where you first wrote and where you last wrote and you will see everyone else mostly understood and chimed in
I have a lot of friends with a lot of mods and everyone ain't getting the same results
I couldn't help but notice
Oh and the only thing I noticed was different was .... You guessed it the tuner
Old 10-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #25
Baltimorejohn1

Quote:
I have tuned 5 of the top 11 bolt on cars on the list that are in the 11s. HRD_WRK is on the stock tq converter too. That's hard to pull off on an auto car. Merc is a LS3 m6 of course.
Nice.... That says a lot... Congrats

Quote:
And come to think of it all those tunes are done remotely...lol. I do have a local guy to me that was running 11s before the cam, but he isn't on the forum.
Wow nicely done I guess that knocks out the dyno being best portion of the convo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Ryan (Rhino79) remote tunes my car. 11.84 this past weekend, stock engine.
I've been watching your journey congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I know a ton of local guys with cams and I'm within a tenth of them. Tuning is key. I was at the track yesterday and a buddy's h/c combo is shifting into 5th before the traps with 3.70 gears. He's already in touch with ^^^ to fix his tune.
That's what really caught my eye
Some have more mods some have less but the one with more or the same is behind

So one would think that's the driver
Problem...... These are all different drivers
Hmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #26
Baltimorejohn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
None of the above. Its a secret...
Well played lol
Someone out there cutting heads I understand
Tracking your car you might not want to tell too much
Old 10-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #27
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Quote:
Nice.... That says a lot... Congrats

Wow nicely done I guess that knocks out the dyno being best portion of the convo

I've been watching your journey congrats

That's what really caught my eye
Some have more mods some have less but the one with more or the same is behind

So one would think that's the driver
Problem...... These are all different drivers
Hmmmmmmmmm
Conditions have more to do with things than a driver. At this point in modding everyone can wheel their car.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #28
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
I have a lot of friends with a lot of mods and everyone ain't getting the same results
I couldn't help but notice
Oh and the only thing I noticed was different was .... You guessed it the tuner
I strongly disagree. The differences are:

1.) The driver - first and foremost. The Driver Mod is the most important of all mods, and the least consistent of all. Let the friend with the best ET drive the friend's car with the worst ET.

2.) The tires. I guarantee your friends aren't all running the same tires.

3.) Track conditions. Are your comparisons all done on the same night at the same track with the same temps and prep? I doubt it.

4.) Auto vs manual? If they're all auto, do they have the same stall converters? Nothing helps an auto more than a stall + traction.

Unless you're running a twin turbo setup or are making 500+rwhp NA, I doubt the tuner matters past a tenth.