Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-07-2023, 08:26 PM   #1
anthony_n

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Convertible
Unhappy Waiting every time I write a tune

I don’t know if this is a universal problem or not, but it’s really killing my momentum with tuning my ‘17 SS. The first time I used HP Tuners to flash my ECU/“write vehicle”, I just about had a heart attack because it wouldn’t start. I thought I had done irreparable damage to my car until I read a post over on HP Tuners where someone just had to wait 10-15 minutes or disconnect/reconnect the battery to get the car to start again. Well, now every single time I write an updated tune to my ECU, I have to wait at least 10 minutes before the car will start. Any earlier, and it will just sputter and die after I press start. Is this a known/common issue with HP Tuners? I’m getting kinda frustrated with this whole process and don’t wanna twiddle my thumbs for 10 minutes every time I write a new calibration to my ECU. Any advice or known fixes? Thanks!
anthony_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:21 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
No that isn't normal...you likely have another issue going on.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:58 AM   #3
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Flashed mine probably 20 times and never had this issue.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:54 AM   #4
jtblckmaro
JtblckZ

Drives: Black 2017 ZL1
I remember having that issue the first couple of times. To bypass that wait time, it's become habit for me to turn the motor off, turn on accessory power, write the file, turn off accessory power, turn on accessory power, then start the car. Small inconvenience, but it's a total of 5 button presses:
1. Engine off (if the car is running, which it usually is)
2. Accy on / write
3. Accy off
4. Accy on
5. Engine start
jtblckmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:05 PM   #5
anthony_n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtblckmaro View Post
I remember having that issue the first couple of times. To bypass that wait time, it's become habit for me to turn the motor off, turn on accessory power, write the file, turn off accessory power, turn on accessory power, then start the car. Small inconvenience, but it's a total of 5 button presses:
2. Accy on / write
3. Accy off
4. Accy on
5. Engine start
Thanks, I’ll give that order a try! If my issue persists, I may do a little more digging into what could be causing it.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:22 PM   #6
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_n View Post
I don’t know if this is a universal problem or not, but it’s really killing my momentum with tuning my ‘17 SS. The first time I used HP Tuners to flash my ECU/“write vehicle”, I just about had a heart attack because it wouldn’t start. I thought I had done irreparable damage to my car until I read a post over on HP Tuners where someone just had to wait 10-15 minutes or disconnect/reconnect the battery to get the car to start again. Well, now every single time I write an updated tune to my ECU, I have to wait at least 10 minutes before the car will start. Any earlier, and it will just sputter and die after I press start. Is this a known/common issue with HP Tuners? I’m getting kinda frustrated with this whole process and don’t wanna twiddle my thumbs for 10 minutes every time I write a new calibration to my ECU. Any advice or known fixes? Thanks!
I occasionally had similar issues uploading tunes into my 2016 2SS earlier this year.

Quote:
2. Accy on / write
3. Accy off
4. Accy on
5. Engine start
This sequence seemed to work for me. I would still occasionally have a problem starting after loading the tune. I would always clear any DTCs that came up and then the car would always start normally on the second attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_n View Post
Thanks, I’ll give that order a try! If my issue persists, I may do a little more digging into what could be causing it.
If you continue to have problems then maybe tell us what version of HP Tuners and which OBD device you’re using to upload the tune.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:21 PM   #7
anthony_n

Unfortunately, even going with the sequence that was suggested earlier, the car wouldn't start and I had to wait my usual 10 minutes for everything to reset and to get her cranking and started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
If you continue to have problems then maybe tell us what version of HP Tuners and which OBD device you’re using to upload the tune.
I'm using VCM Editor version 5.0.4 and I'm plugged in with an MPVI3.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:56 PM   #8
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
2. Accy on / write
3. Accy off
4. Accy on
5. Engine start
When I had my 2016 remote tuned those steps were outlined by my tuner for every write. Never had to wait any additional time.

There’s another issue with OP’s car causing this, unfortunately don’t think we can do much if you don’t have any codes showing or any other symptoms. Maybe check the battery/alternator?
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:23 AM   #9
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Gen V cars never start on first try right after a flash. It does a quick hit of the starter and then stops. Usually I do a KOEO cycle once after a flash before I try to start the car. Still, even if you don't do this process and you get the first "short starter" burst after a flash, you can just press the button again and the car will start. If THIS is what you're talking about, it is normal.

Anything else is not normal.
Megahurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 08:14 AM   #10
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
What I've done, which is pretty much what has been said is turn the car off completely after I write the tune. Get out, lock the car, then usually open up the garage and move whatever vehicle is in the driveway. Then I get in and starts up everytime. If I try to start it without shutting down the car right after a tune is loaded, nothing happens.
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 08:54 AM   #11
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
All you really have to do is turn the ignition off then on then off and then the car should fire right up.

Alternatively you can turn the car off after flash, wait 3 seconds, then try to start the car. Initially it will only pulse the starter. You can then press the start button again and it will fire right up. I don't like the starter pulse so I always do a KOEO cycle after a flash so that it fires right up.
Megahurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 12:43 PM   #12
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
All you really have to do is turn the ignition off then on then off and then the car should fire right up.

Alternatively you can turn the car off after flash, wait 3 seconds, then try to start the car. Initially it will only pulse the starter. You can then press the start button again and it will fire right up. I don't like the starter pulse so I always do a KOEO cycle after a flash so that it fires right up.
That first time I flashed it and it did that starter bump, my heart dropped. I thought I bricked the ecu.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 03:27 PM   #13
2k2ss

Drives: 2002ss
Mine does same thing! First time I about had a heart attack lol
2k2ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecu, hptuners, stall, start, tune