#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 11-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #15
TheMaGikDucK

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
Are you using the cooling ducts? How hard is it to replace the boots? Part number?
I had fade issue on Summit Point with XP10. Replaced to XP12 , problem solved, however I used them all in 2 days
yea I have the ducts in. It's easy (assuming you are doing your own pads), just pull them off and pop the new ones in.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....353478&jsn=431
TheMaGikDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #16
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
What was your setup for a seat and harness connections? sliders,mounts and seat? all custom I assume?
Old 11-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #17
drnapski
Total Performance Racing

Drives: 2010GTS2011T22012TA32014Z282016SS
Sorry for the delay in responding. We had to get our race cars ready for multiple events. I was at Spring Mountain driving Camaros with a GM media event followed by a few days at SEMA with our 2016 SS on display. From there, direct to COTA for our Trans Am race followed by our season finale last weekend at Daytona. Great trips but good to be home.

We do get -3.0 degrees of camber with the GM lowering kit which includes alternate springs and dampners. The 1LE front lower control arms have a true spherical bearing rather than the rubber bushing. This is a great improvement. Personally, I do not like the short throw shifter for road racing, but that is driver preference. Sway bars need to be matched with other suspension components so be careful on that one. We use Mobil 1 15-50 racing oil and Redline 75-90NS rear diff fluid. Brake fluid is Wilwood 600 XP Plus and trans fluid is Mobil 1 ATF. As far as melting boots, be sure to use the GM heat deflector shields which bolt on the spindle upright. We also cut segments of orange heat protection hose over the dust boots for an added thermal barrier. We buy it in 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" and cut what we need for each boot. We do add (2) brake cooling ducts per corner. We have a 3" that feeds air from the front grill into thru the fender liner and directs air to the rotor via the GM deflector on the lower control are. We also have a 1.5" hose from the front grill to the caliper. We remove the ac condensor and move the auxillary coolers from the corners to the previous ac condensor location. This makes room for the brake duct hoses. No brake fad or boot problems. Hawk DTC-60's.

Question for you guys: I am thinking of selling one of my 5th gen trans am race cars. What media do you think works best today: ebay, racing junk, camaro 5, SCCA mags??
Any other good ones?? Thanks!
drnapski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #18
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
What was your setup for a seat and harness connections? sliders,mounts and seat? all custom I assume?
Welcome back, can you help me out here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnapski View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding. We had to get our race cars ready for multiple events. I was at Spring Mountain driving Camaros with a GM media event followed by a few days at SEMA with our 2016 SS on display. From there, direct to COTA for our Trans Am race followed by our season finale last weekend at Daytona. Great trips but good to be home.

We do get -3.0 degrees of camber with the GM lowering kit which includes alternate springs and dampners. The 1LE front lower control arms have a true spherical bearing rather than the rubber bushing. This is a great improvement. Personally, I do not like the short throw shifter for road racing, but that is driver preference. Sway bars need to be matched with other suspension components so be careful on that one. We use Mobil 1 15-50 racing oil and Redline 75-90NS rear diff fluid. Brake fluid is Wilwood 600 XP Plus and trans fluid is Mobil 1 ATF. As far as melting boots, be sure to use the GM heat deflector shields which bolt on the spindle upright. We also cut segments of orange heat protection hose over the dust boots for an added thermal barrier. We buy it in 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" and cut what we need for each boot. We do add (2) brake cooling ducts per corner. We have a 3" that feeds air from the front grill into thru the fender liner and directs air to the rotor via the GM deflector on the lower control are. We also have a 1.5" hose from the front grill to the caliper. We remove the ac condensor and move the auxillary coolers from the corners to the previous ac condensor location. This makes room for the brake duct hoses. No brake fad or boot problems. Hawk DTC-60's.

Question for you guys: I am thinking of selling one of my 5th gen trans am race cars. What media do you think works best today: ebay, racing junk, camaro 5, SCCA mags??
Any other good ones?? Thanks!
Grassrootsmotorsports.com has a nice classifieds
Bringatrailer.com
Ebay as always
Old 11-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #19
drnapski
Total Performance Racing

Drives: 2010GTS2011T22012TA32014Z282016SS
We use RaceTech seats with side mounts and back mounts by RaceTech. We custom mount the seat brackets as low as possible on the floor with weld in inserts for bolts. We do not use slider systems for safety reasons. The horizontal bar behind the seat on our cage system is designed for the seat and the proper angle of the shoulder straps including our Hans system. Be sure to calculate out the above items no matter what system you use.
drnapski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
We also have a 1.5" hose from the front grill to the caliper.
Do you have any pictures showing how these hoses are supported, particularly out near the calipers? It's crossed my mind to do the same sort of thing, but other than for the exact details of routing I'd rather start from something that's already been proven to work than stumble through it entirely on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Norm
Old 11-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #21
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Quote:
Sway bars need to be matched with other suspension components so be careful on that one.
Can you expand on this a little? I understand how roll rate relates to camber but not so much to other suspension components.

Quote:
We do add (2) brake cooling ducts per corner. We have a 3" that feeds air from the front grill into thru the fender liner and directs air to the rotor via the GM deflector on the lower control arm. We also have a 1.5" hose from the front grill to the caliper. We remove the ac condensor and move the auxillary coolers from the corners to the previous ac condensor location. This makes room for the brake duct hoses.
So there is no possibility of opening the outermost "fake" openings in the grille (under the LED bars) and ducting air from them to the brakes because the aux coolers in the corners take up too much space?

Thanks for the post and great info!

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
Can you expand on this a little? I understand how roll rate relates to camber but not so much to other suspension components.
Cliff's Notes version because entire books have been written on handling balance.

The understeer/oversteer handling balance of a car is quite dependent on how much of the lateral load transfer (incorrectly but more commonly "weight transfer) comes out at the front vs how much at the rear . . . and how that compares to the vehicle's static weight distribution (the 54/46 kind of numbers reported in magazine road tests). There are many other contributors to US/OS, but beyond understanding that front vs rear roll stiffness isn't the only thing involved - let's ignore the rest.

Let's say you have a car whose US/OS balance you have found suitable, but now you decide to lower that car. If the new springs are not in a similar relationship to each other as your previous springs were, the load transfers at the front and rear would change (assuming you change nothing else at that point). And you could end up with either heavier or lighter understeer, or with a really different choice, maybe even a little oversteer. The easiest way to bring that car with its new springs back to the balance you liked before would be to change the stiffness of either (or maybe both) sta-bars.

As an example with numbers more familiar to me, suppose you went from 130 lb/in front springs and 140 lb/in rears up to 260 fronts with 220 rears. The front has been stiffened more, which is an understeering effect from the point of load transfer. The sta-bar compensation could take the form of stiffening the rear bar, either by changing the bar out for a stiffer one or by moving an adjustable rear bar setting to a firmer position/location.

Norm

Tags
2016 camaro race, road race, scca