Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
steelheadrob
Tactical Garage

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Whipple Intercooler pump noise

Just wrapped up my Whipple install. I am trying to figure out if I have gotten all of the air out of intercooler system. The pump sounds fine to me but I can still here the coolant fluid circulating through the intercooler reserve tank when I have the car in accessory/diagnostic mode (engine off key on and power is on to the intercooler pump). I am trying to figure out if this sound is normal or if it means I still have air in the system.

I recorded the sound on the clip below.

Thanks

https://youtu.be/pPJLpVY7qCc
steelheadrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
steelheadrob
Tactical Garage

Any of the guys that have a Whipple, if you could give yours a listen a let me know if it sounds similar it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I'll have to check. I know that when I pull in my garage and shut the car off I can hear air/water circulation/pooling back into the reservoir for about 5 seconds. When I've added coolant in the past using the diagnostic mode I could hear hear air from inside my car with the door open (also in the garage - maybe echo affect). But I would continue to purge the system until it was just about gone. I'd have a sealed large funnel attached to the filler neck with coolant at least 3/4's full and turn diagnostic mode on which would then start the pump and run it for about a minute or two. Then turn if off and I could see if the funnel level decreased. I would then repeat the process until I barely heard any air at all and the funnel level would no longer decrease. Using the plug/stomper I plug the funnel and empty the excess back into my coolant jug. But every time I really needed to get the air out I would hear the water pump surging while driving. Mainly at low RPM's or idle.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
steelheadrob
Tactical Garage

Thanks Joe. I have done the funnel method you described. I think I have gotten pretty much all the air out using the funnel. I have also been bleeding it off after I drive it but I only need to add back an ounce or so of coolant. I was thinking that I would not hear anything circulating once the air was out. But I am still hearing it circulate. Trying to figure out if this is normal.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Seems normal. Here's mine. My does have a metal reservoir vs the plastic one they send so it may not sound as pronounced.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EUv...w?usp=drivesdk
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
steelheadrob
Tactical Garage

Sounds similar, thanks.