Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
SSaltlife

Drives: '17 2SS Convertible 6M
Toss Up!? 'Vert vs. Coupe

I was sorely missing my '12 2SS/RS M6 vert so I stopped by the dealership to check out the 17's....(insert googly eyed heart emojis). My hubs immediately had flash backs of Marilyn's leaky top, rub marks, etc. (she spent a lot of time at the dealer before she was FINALLY fixed). He's conveyed some valid points about not going with the 'vert. I'm torn- we are back at the beach and its mild here year around. Did anyone else consider both and go with the coupe? What tipped you either way?
SSaltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
No way I had a 5thGen Coupe once you go Convertible you don't go back.....
I also,had the 5thGen convertible. This car is amazing no issues like the top before. They did it right, really! I would not get a coupe again if you ask me.... I also go to,the coast a lotNC is awesome for warm water and the beach!

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 PM   #3
SSaltlife

Drives: '17 2SS Convertible 6M
Have you had any top issues? I like the new improvements to the top mechanism and the hard tonneau cover. You are speaking my language though...
SSaltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
No,issues at all the 5thGen one was replaced 2 times and lived through that mess....once they got it fixed it was great.... Now the new one wow this is awesome, when it's up its quiet and it goes up with just a touch of a button. No latch nothing it's great really...with the hard cover intergrated into it and painted looks awesome....hope this helps.. what part of the coast are you on? We go to Atlantic beach and or Emerald Isle every summer....

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
camaroalltheway

Drives: 2SS convert,Mosaic Black,MRC,NPP
I have had a few convertibles in my time. Mustang, Mercedes CLK, and an XLR hardtop convert. As far as cabin noise at speed, This 6th gen convert is pretty darn good. Somewhere in between the Mustang and Mercedes. The tonneau cover is mostly cosmetic but does protect the top from soot when top is down. My Camaro does have wind noise around the window seals...should probably take it in before warranty expires but doesn't bother me much as I expected these types of things in a car that doesn't cost $100k. I have not had any leaks and the top works VERY well and the remote down option is also cool. You will not be able to wash the top with a sponge as it will ruin the fabric over time. I just spray it gently. Also, when you operate the top I was told by the dealer that you cannot interrupt the cycle otherwise the top actuator goes into a protection state and disables itself to prevent damage. Lastly, the dual exhaust with the top down is exhilarating
camaroalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 PM   #6
JeffMorse

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
If you park the car outside in a hot climate, that's a bad place to own a convertible I assume? I'm in like, the Valley in SoCal. Totally. I assume the beating sun will make the top brittle in a fairly short period?
JeffMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I haven't had any problems with my convertible so far. I agree that this top is noticeably quieter than my 5th gen convertible and I really enjoy the hard tonneau cover. I don't make a habit of it but I have interrupted the up/down motion a few times without causing any problems just to see how things work. You will have to stop the top in mid-air to lubricate the hinge points anyway.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:03 PM   #8
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
I do have some minor issues with the top. Rattles/creak /wind noise. I'm sure it's all fixable, I just haven't made it to the dealer.
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:55 PM   #9
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
We're loving ours. It's been a lot of years since I had a convertible and it's great. No problems with the top.

Name:  IMG_2370.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  302.9 KB

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:38 AM   #10
Grandpawmoses

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary
I love the vert on my Vette, no problems. The trunk space on the Camaro was the deal breaker (along with the +$6K).
Also considering tracking it.
Grandpawmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:15 AM   #11
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMorse View Post
If you park the car outside in a hot climate, that's a bad place to own a convertible I assume? I'm in like, the Valley in SoCal. Totally. I assume the beating sun will make the top brittle in a fairly short period?
No Sir, not at all. the fabric will last indefinitely as long as it's taken care of (washed gently periodically, and even "waterproofed" with something like Raggtop products).

I've never heard of top material getting brittle.....
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #12
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1966 View Post
I do have some minor issues with the top. Rattles/creak /wind noise. I'm sure it's all fixable, I just haven't made it to the dealer.
My rattles were fixed primarily by adjusting the stoppers associated with the top. I think each car will be a different case; some may need minor adjustments, some won't.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
Get the Vert, You will NOT be sorry!!!! I LOVE Mine, Came out of a '05 SL-600 Merc. and am not sorry at all, They did a REALLY Nice job with the Top and Cover, I have NO funny Noises in Mine(squeaks,rattles) WE LOVE IT!!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I live near the beach too. Not quite as warm as NC, but close most of the time.
I was only considering the 2SS.
Main factors that swayed me toward coupe:
1) The fundamental structural problem that with a convertible you are always driving a giant "U". The only thing providing mid-car rigidity is the floor.
2) Liked the roofline of the hardtop coupe without the sunroof.
3) Prospect of increased cabin noise and absence of parcel shelf speakers (assuming I want to drive speakers in that position harder with a future stereo upgrade, as I have done with other cars)
4) My wife and kids are all light haired, blue-eyed, with fair complexion and hate using sunscreen. I diagnose melanoma for a living, so you can guess my bias.
5) Cost was a minor consideration.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote