Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-14-2023, 01:27 PM   #1
FLATOUTRACING

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
MMR's 20 x 10 and 20 x 11 Winter Tires Sizes

I bought my 1SS used with the standard 1LE sized MMR wheels 20 x 10 with 23 offset and 20 x 11 with 43 offset. I run the standard 305's in back and 285's in front. Want to switch to winter Pirelli 245's in front and 275's in rear. Will these sizes encounter and fitment issues on these rims? Or is there a slight larger/better size to use? Tirerack has nothing in the regular 285/305 setup.
FLATOUTRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 01:50 PM   #2
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Just an alert to keep in mind: Winter tires are usually narrow when compared to wide performance tires on performance cars. This is so they will cut THROUGH snow and slush versus "planing" on top of it before running you off the road.

Your neighbourhood tire professional can probably provide some experienced guidance on that.

It's probably unnecessary to say this to you, but you will not be able to use your car to much of its power potential in the winter.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:12 PM   #3
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
Just an alert to keep in mind: Winter tires are usually narrow when compared to wide performance tires on performance cars. This is so they will cut THROUGH snow and slush versus "planing" on top of it before running you off the road.

Your neighbourhood tire professional can probably provide some experienced guidance on that.

It's probably unnecessary to say this to you, but you will not be able to use your car to much of its power potential in the winter.

Jim G
There's a good video on this which shows it's basically in the noise. I've seen others by the same author and their testing seems to be very exhaustive. Wide vs. narrow is far far less important than the actual winter tire and tread pattern. If you are going to be driving through 2 feet of snow, sure you might need a narrower tire for penetration, but if not, it's in the noise and doesn't matter. The results were the narrower tires DO accelerate/grip marginally better on snow and ice during acceleration...but they turn worse and brake worse than the wider tires, so you choose your poison. Also noted that any differences were even smaller on ice, they had to keep re-running the test to pick anything up between wider and skinnier. Overall, extremely small differences that are in the noise compared to winter tire differences overall. Also worth noting that your traction will then suffer on every other surface if you go real skinny 275 width tires are expensive and unless he's going to be driving only on cold surfaces, it would be best to downsize to smaller diameter and width rims so you can fit narrower tires. But that's from a cost perspective, not that he needs to run 205s or anything. If he's got an extra set of rims, it might make sense to go ahead and get them set up.

But to the actual question, there are usually 4 tire widths that fit on a rim, going from "stretched" to "bunched". In most cases manufacturers set it up so their rims have the max size already on them, so for my 11" rims, it's 305, so I can't go larger, but I can go smaller, like 295, 285 and 275. You have to refer to the tire mfr to get the actual correct numbers, but 95% of the time, this is the way it is. Sometimes you find an outlier where michelin for instance says I can run a 10mm wider tire than stock that is already at the "limit" for that rim, but that's rare. For a 10" wide wheel, you could go down as low as 255 safely. In most cases, it won't be recommended to go skinnier than that. Again, check with the tire manufacturer, they will say what the tire will run as far as rim widths.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 05:43 PM   #4
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
Maybe consider buying a set of take off factory wheels/tires ready to go, that way you can just swap them out and not have to pay to swap tire around... plus keep your summer wheels in better shape.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:17 PM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
Maybe consider buying a set of take off factory wheels/tires ready to go, that way you can just swap them out and not have to pay to swap tire around... plus keep your summer wheels in better shape.
A second set of wheels might save you money in the long run. The cost of mounting and balancing tires back and forth adds up over time.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:20 PM   #6
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
A second set of wheels might save you money in the long run. The cost of mounting and balancing tires back and forth adds up over time.
But, a tire shop manager told me that the dismounting and remounting of tires on wheels forces the technician to clean the tire to rim seating surfaces twice per year, which mitigates corrosion and leakage.

Also, to avoid the 2x per year service charges for mounting and dismounting, you need not only an extra set of wheels, but also an extra set of tire pressure sensors. Add that to the cost of the wheels.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:47 PM   #7
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
But, a tire shop manager told me that the dismounting and remounting of tires on wheels forces the technician to clean the tire to rim seating surfaces twice per year, which mitigates corrosion and leakage.

Also, to avoid the 2x per year service charges for mounting and dismounting, you need not only an extra set of wheels, but also an extra set of tire pressure sensors. Add that to the cost of the wheels.

Jim G
Twice as many opportunities for the wheel guy to scratch or screw up your wheels... No thanks...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:45 AM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
You can't run those tire sizes you mentioned but you CAN run, and this is what I use, a 275/35 on the front and a 285/35 on the rear. Speedo is off by <1mph because they're pretty close in diameter to the stock sizes.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:09 AM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
You can't run those tire sizes you mentioned but you CAN run, and this is what I use, a 275/35 on the front and a 285/35 on the rear. Speedo is off by <1mph because they're pretty close in diameter to the stock sizes.
The rear tire, 275 width, WILL fit on a 10" rim. He's looking at 0.2" higher if he goes 35 or about 0.4" lower if he goes 30. The 245 is out of spec for a 10" rim by Pirelli. He could run a 255 front section tire and be fine. See my post above.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:18 AM   #10
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
Quote:

Jim G
I bet if you add up the service costs over the years its going to take for corrosion to degrade the wheel, likely you'll have enough savings to buy brand new wheels by the time you actually need to clean them because they are leaking.

If you buy new take-offs, they come balanced and with new sensors ready to go.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:41 AM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Twice as many opportunities for the wheel guy to scratch or screw up your wheels... No thanks...
This. It's happened to me, and they had to fix my wheel.

Go with a cheap set of OEM SS wheels with the TPMS and put winter tires on it. Done.