Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
Matt8892

Drives: 2010 2ss RS. White (RIP) 2012 LS3
Camaro 2ss twilight upgrade? Also, coolant question

Firstly, I bought a 2010 White 2ss with inferno orange stripes and interior last Wednesday. I love the car. It's only got 10,000 miles on it!

So I was looking at taillights and came across the technostalgia ones. Do they still make them? I can't seem to find them line anywhere. I've found other ones similar but they sound like you need to take about the original housing and modify it. Any suggestions?

Also, totally off subject. Shoukd I have my coolant changed? I saw in the manual to have it changed at 5 years. Is there a huge rush in me getting that done?
Matt8892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
DazednConfused

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
I had the Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lights on my old LS. You can still find them from time to time on Ebay and Amazon. I had nothing but trouble out of mine. Not sure if the one of the resistors were bad or not, but they would go crazy and when temperatures were colder.
Others have had no issues with them. There are a few threads on here that discuss them. They are amazing tail lights when they worked correctly.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
Matt8892

Drives: 2010 2ss RS. White (RIP) 2012 LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazednConfused View Post
I had the Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lights on my old LS. You can still find them from time to time on Ebay and Amazon. I had nothing but trouble out of mine. Not sure if the one of the resistors were bad or not, but they would go crazy and when temperatures were colder.
Others have had no issues with them. There are a few threads on here that discuss them. They are amazing tail lights when they worked correctly.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Yea I'm familiar with the issues. Still contemplating if it's worth it if I can find them
Matt8892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
I've never gone for them due to the issues. I wanted them badly, but didn't want all the hassle.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
OP, if its any help I have had mine for several years and no issues.

And as far as the coolant, no hurry. Just do it so you know it has not been diluted or contaminated. If you do it yourself use distilled water.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:13 AM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Change your coolant.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I'd stay away from those tails. Despite them being nice when they work, for the high price tag, i would expect them to work flawlessly without any of their known issues
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
While your coolant may have lots of life left as far as protection ability it has become acidic from use over time and needs to be drained to resist its attacking the soft aluminum in our engines. This is why GM recommends it also...... On tail lights certain ones have sucked and some have done ok as far as aftermarket that I have read about over time. The .Technostalgia. http://cool-leds.com/

Check it out. SO read up and do a search of posts on tail lights and a search on the internet to make sure you want these as they are not cheap and with so many functions I would worry about them in the long term with the cost involved compared to others.

Last edited by christianchevell; 11-23-2015 at 07:35 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Techno lights are like 50/50... some people have them and have no issues, others like me have issues.

I've got 4 LED's out on the half ring of the passenger inner tail light that just straight sucks enough for me to consider switching back to stock.

They're beautiful lights, don't get me wrong...bright as daylight, even with my smoked overlays. But only wish their quality was better, and that the company who made them cared more about their customers than from what I've been reading about them throughout the years.

I wouldn't even attempt to try contacting them about my issue after a few years...

Oh, and btw, yes... change your coolant...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote