Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

AWE Tuning

Old 09-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
Sinnthetic6

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS (ordered)
Location: In between a black hole and a supernova is where you'll find me
Pre Order Deposit

From what I have gathered from these forums most dealers require a small deposit in order to get the order processed and that makes sense. I am currently out of the country serving overseas and trying to get my order together talking to local dealers online and the dealer just got back to me and said that they require a 20% upfront NON-REFUNDABLE deposit in order to get the process started. This doesn't sound correct to me from what I have been reading about what most of you have said. Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems pretty crazy to have to front that much and have it non-refundable. The dealer also said they don't have prices for the 2016 Camaro (but just like all of you I have seen the prices) so I don't know how they can even figure 20% of a number they don't have. Am I wrong to question this dealer?
Sinnthetic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
You do not need me to tell you STOP all correspondence with this dealer. He does not want your business and is going out of his way to tell you.

There are good dealers and it does not hurt to seek them. BeckyD, who has the status update thread stickied here, is one and even if you do not buy your Camaro from her she will go out of her way to help.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnthetic6 View Post
From what I have gathered from these forums most dealers require a small deposit in order to get the order processed and that makes sense. I am currently out of the country serving overseas and trying to get my order together talking to local dealers online and the dealer just got back to me and said that they require a 20% upfront NON-REFUNDABLE deposit in order to get the process started. This doesn't sound correct to me from what I have been reading about what most of you have said. Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems pretty crazy to have to front that much and have it non-refundable. The dealer also said they don't have prices for the 2016 Camaro (but just like all of you I have seen the prices) so I don't know how they can even figure 20% of a number they don't have. Am I wrong to question this dealer?
Call a different dealer. Call Becky. That dealer is a scum bag to require a 20% upfront non refundable deposit.... #RUN!!!!!
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
Sinnthetic6

I figured as much, just wanted to verify before I moved on. I am starting to talk to two other dealers in Florida so hopefully they will be apt to work with me. It kinda sucks having to do all this by email/ over the phone. Thanks guys.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Work with becky shipping is cheap and can be financed
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Yeah that is ridiculous, my dealer didn't ask me for a dime for a deposit...plenty of other dealers out there. The way I figure it, if someone backs out of an order, they will always be able to sell it on their lot to someone else, especially in the beginnig when demand will be the highest point. Unless you order some crazy combo that will be hard to sell, no deposit should be needed.

And thank you so much for your service to our awesome country, we all owe all of you in the military a debt of gratitiude!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
No matter what trim, color, drivetrain, and options you order, ethically a dealer should let you change your mind at any time and not buy the car. Hence, they should either give your deposit back to you if you decide not to buy it, or not take a deposit at all.

If you don't buy the car someone else will.

So I would tell this dealer exactly that, and tell them the ONLY way they will earn your business is if they put that in writing.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
my dealer told me minimum $500 for the order

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
Deposit

A refundable deposit is common for some dealers. You're not signing a retail contract so it's not binding until you do. They must refund your deposit, period.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
Sinnthetic6

Here is what he told me:

All new car orders, especially pre-production (which the 2016 Camaro is) and any custom ordering require a 20% non-refundable deposit.
Also, to secure financing for you, we will need an Application for Financing. Here is the link. Please fill this out and email me back when you have submitted it.

I asked him why, he responded:

About the deposit, we have gotten burned custom ordering vehicles and then getting stuck with them. Not that you would do that, but I hope you understand that our stance is that if you are committed to custom ordering your car, we are too. In more ways than one. Hope you understand.

He also asked me where I got the factory codes for options because according to him, no specs have been released and factory options and prices are not known to any dealerships at this time.

Needless to say, I have no plans to respond to him. Looking for another south Florida dealership to deal with.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
laborsmith

I have ordered with a deposit and w/o. Generally $100 but for the C6 and the Gen5 $500. It does depend on the dealer and the situation. For both the C6 and the Gen5 there was a huge pre-order demand, as there was for the C7 and unlike what we seem to be seeing for the Gen5. As far as I can tell, the only non-refundable deposits that are not refundable are those that have unique option combinations that limit appeal. Chevy does not allow those combinations to be ordered, so take that as you will.

Laborsmith
Old 09-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #12
matt7467

Drives: 2016 2SS camaro
My dealer wanted a $1000 non-refundable deposit when i ordered my 2016 2SS, i asked the owner of the dealership and my dealer that $1000 would go towards full price of the car and be apart of my downpayment and they both said yes, and i asked them several times. Im 21 and work a little above minimum wage and this will be my first car. My TPW is 10/19 so im getting my car either way, id just like to know if it was good or bad for the dealer to ask me for that deposit
matt7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
laborsmith

Neither. Given your situation, I would say understandable.

If you are not pre-approved you might look at your CU for a loan.

Laborsmith
Old 09-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7467 View Post
My dealer wanted a $1000 non-refundable deposit when i ordered my 2016 2SS, i asked the owner of the dealership and my dealer that $1000 would go towards full price of the car and be apart of my downpayment and they both said yes, and i asked them several times. Im 21 and work a little above minimum wage and this will be my first car. My TPW is 10/19 so im getting my car either way, id just like to know if it was good or bad for the dealer to ask me for that deposit
My dealer asked for a $1000 to reserve my slot as #1 to order that would be applied to the car, but it is refundable.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote