Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-05-2023, 04:23 PM   #1
455bhp

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Wagon
Unhappy Lotus Evora GT is not what I expected

Hi all!

I went to the Lotus dealer to check out my current automotive crush—the new Emira—and ended up test driving an Evora GT instead. (They didn’t have an Emira demonstrator on hand.) The Evora is a car I strongly considered buying 3 years ago, so it was great to finally drive one!

Lotus, to me, is a halo brand for talkative steering. For this reason, I expected the Evora GT to have the perfect combination of extraordinary steering feel, mid-engine sports car moves, and evocative styling. Well, two out of three isn’t bad…right?

The styling was a knock-out (especially in vivid green), the brakes saved me from rear ending a bonehead SUV driver, the chassis had grip for days, and the engine had a fantastic roar. But the steering…

Honestly, I was let down by the steering. Yes, it was quick and communicative, but I wanted Lotus Elise or 997 911 GT3 levels of feel and feedback, and the Evora GT didn't have that.

(Here is a link to my full writeup with more pictures.)

The experience has me questioning my Emira crush, because I’ve heard its steering is even less lively than the Evora’s. Once the dealership has an Emira demonstrator, I’ll try it for myself and see. But in the meantime, I’m full of mixed feelings about the Evora GT and Emira.

Best,
Mike

Old 11-05-2023, 11:49 PM   #2
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Well written! I’ve had a deposit for an Emira with Boardwalk Lotus for nearly 2 years. I just couldn’t help myself once I saw the Emira at Goodwood. Had to get in the queue!

That said, the last couple years have got me thinking I’ll likely cancel and get my $2500 back. Why? Well, I’ve come to accept the performance may not be up to the same level as my half-the-price SS1LE. However, there have been many issues reported overseas while Lotus has also done a total sh*t job addressing problems or communicating any updates to US depositors. Then add the fact they’ve raised the price multiple times and have continued to push out US deliveries…

Even more frustrating for me… the first time I went to test drive the demo car about a year ago, they couldn’t squeeze me in despite having a deposit while some others did not ~ the 5hr round trip only netted a brief 10 minute exterior viewing. The second time, I was scheduled a 30-minute test drive, never happened. Why? Because after driving two hours, with 30 minutes left to go, I received a phone call from the dealer saying their demo car broke down. Sigh

I really love the look. I really want to want the car. But my experience has been surprisingly poor thus far. The camaro ownership and performance experience, on the other hand, has surprisingly been and continues to be way better than I ever expected.

I’m torn on the Lotus too but it seems for different reasons.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #3
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Good work OP. I am surprised you haven't driven a Camaro ZL1/1LE at this point.

Word is it has the sweetest steering feel of any EPAS system fitted to a FR layout. Let's not forget the stellar Alpha Chassis!
Old 11-06-2023, 07:03 PM   #4
455bhp

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Well written! I’ve had a deposit for an Emira with Boardwalk Lotus for nearly 2 years. I just couldn’t help myself once I saw the Emira at Goodwood. Had to get in the queue!

That said, the last couple years have got me thinking I’ll likely cancel and get my $2500 back. Why? Well, I’ve come to accept the performance may not be up to the same level as my half-the-price SS1LE. However, there have been many issues reported overseas while Lotus has also done a total sh*t job addressing problems or communicating any updates to US depositors. Then add the fact they’ve raised the price multiple times and have continued to push out US deliveries…

Even more frustrating for me… the first time I went to test drive the demo car about a year ago, they couldn’t squeeze me in despite having a deposit while some others did not ~ the 5hr round trip only netted a brief 10 minute exterior viewing. The second time, I was scheduled a 30-minute test drive, never happened. Why? Because after driving two hours, with 30 minutes left to go, I received a phone call from the dealer saying their demo car broke down. Sigh

I really love the look. I really want to want the car. But my experience has been surprisingly poor thus far. The camaro ownership and performance experience, on the other hand, has surprisingly been and continues to be way better than I ever expected.

For what it is worth, I think the Camaro SS V8 has more bite and character than the Lotus V6. I was missing some of that sharp edged response in the Lotus. (Both cars sound great, though.)

Boardwalk says they'll have a dedicated Emira demo sometime around New Years. Maybe you'll be able to get a drive then. I'll certainly be trying!
Old 11-13-2023, 01:09 PM   #5
Alexk

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE Shadow Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post

Don't buy a car from the company that treats you like this. A lot of companies these days treat you like you owe them something still having that COVID mentality when things weren't available, except now they create this demand artificially. I refuse to buy from these brands, especially when their product isn't cheap, like the Lotus you pre-ordered. You release the car, you promise I'll have it by certain date, you give me ability to test what I'm buying and that's it. It's their reputation
Alexk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evora, lotus