General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM Reveals Buick Avista Concept

Buick Introduces Avista Concept
Design elegance, performance heritage conveyed in turbocharged 2+2 coupe
General Motors

January 10, 2016

DETROIT – Ahead of its public debut at the North American International Auto Show, Buick today revealed the Avista concept – a 2+2 coupe that pushes the brand’s contemporary design ethos and rekindles its historic performance roots.

A sleek, sweeping proportion is the foundation for this vision of a contemporary grand tourer, with a 400-horsepower twin-turbocharged V-6 driving the rear wheels and a driver-focused cockpit offering a comfortable, connected center of control.

“The Avista embodies the dynamic soul of Buick,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick Sales, Service and Marketing. “It is a modern expression of the brand’s heritage of sophisticated performance, communicated with beautiful elegance.”

The Avista’s uninterrupted body lines stretch front to rear, suggesting motion – resembling Buick’s design language introduced on the Avenir concept and carried into production on the 2017 LaCrosse. The absence of conventional B-pillars between the doors and rear side windows enhances the flowing profile.

“There is elegant simplicity in the Avista’s surfaces, which speak to the purity of the car’s performance, and a timeless beauty that’s a hallmark of Buick design,” said Bryan Nesbitt, executive director Global Buick Design. “It was designed to capture the spirit of the perfect drive.”

Marking the front and rear, Buick evolves its signature wing-shaped lighting with “soft curtain” elements that create illuminated “halos” around lamps’ edges, suggesting a three-dimensional shape and sculpture. Their design forecasts the evolution of Buick’s production lighting features, while the Avista’s grille features the brand’s new winged tri-shield insignia set against a three-dimensional mesh background.

Additional exterior features include:
  • A 110.7-inch (2,811 mm) wheelbase and 63-inch (1,601 mm) front/62.9-inch (1,598 mm) rear tracks for sporty proportions and an aggressive stance
  • Twenty-inch aluminum wheels with color-toned accents match the car’s Dark Sapphire Jewel exterior
  • Front fender vents with chrome accents evolve Buick’s signature fender ports.

Performance-oriented, modern cockpit

Like the exterior, the Avista’s 2+2 interior is defined by flowing, uninterrupted lines conveying elegance through simplicity – with intense technical and surfaces details, in everything from 3D-printed door and seat trim to a future vision of Buick’s IntelliLink, with touchscreen controls on a widescreen instrument panel display.

The center console also incorporates touchscreen controls and extends to the rear seating area. Open side storage compartments built into the front of the console are enabled by the new Electronic Precision Shift, similar to the 2017 LaCrosse.

A Superior Blue foundation color echoes the exterior and is complemented with Mist Gray leather seating inserts, console trim and door trim. Exposed carbon fiber and aluminum accents throughout reinforce the precision of the performance-oriented driving experience. The fading pattern on the seats, console and doors were inspired by waves receding at a beach’s edge.

“Waves, whether from the sea or in the sand, are all about motion and flow,” said Nesbitt. “That’s exactly what this concept is all about – flowing design and the purity of the driving experience.”

Buick designers enhanced the passengers’ sensory experiences with next-generation QuietTuning and air-quality control, including advanced noise cancellation technology, ionic air purifiers and aromatherapy.

The Avista also advances Buick’s legacy of turbocharged performance, which carries forward in the 2016 Regal GS and other models. Similar to the 2017 LaCrosse, the concept twin-turbocharged 3.0L V-6 features fuel-saving Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and Stop/Start technology to complement its power with efficiency. The engine is backed by an eight-speed automatic transmission and Magnetic Ride Control delivers more precise body motion control.

FAST FACT: The Buick Y-Job, introduced in 1938, is widely recognized as the auto industry’s first concept vehicle.

Photography

Old 01-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
That's a great looking car. Too bad it probably won't see the light of day. Not enough room with the ATS-V and Camaro SS already out.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
That is a sweet car. Buick doesn't have much that interests me but that would do it.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Build it. Please. Then I'll own a Buick in my lifetime.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
For the few old enough to remember the saying "When a better car will be built Buick will build it" Had one Buick a brand new '68 Riviera. Loved it! This one looks pretty cool ... maybe it's the color lol
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
It's so pretty it hurts. Literally hurts me.
2016 Red Hot 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC, Nav, and Sunroof. VIN #115750
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65

From what people are hearing at the reveal event, everything besides the obvious concept interior is more or less production ready...
Old 01-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
From what people are hearing at the reveal event, everything besides the obvious concept interior is more or less production ready...
Put a decent interior, and a V8 and it'll be in my garage. I like the TTV6's but, I love V8s. That car is one of the best GM designs I've ever seen. It's just perfect. I'm in love.
2016 Red Hot 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC, Nav, and Sunroof. VIN #115750
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
They will never build it to look like that, it has no B pillar. What would they do for rigidity in the body with no B pillar? I doubt seriously hey could pull it off looking that good. If they do build it will probably end up looking like a Toyota.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
IOMCamaroSS
#PrimeCamaros

Drives: IOM '10 Camaro SS
that thing is gorgeous.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #11
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Just don't see GM putting Chevrolet power trains in this. Particularly with Buick being so prevalent in China were a 6.2 would be taxed as much as the car.

It needs to stand on its own between the Chevy and Cadillac. And GM landed themselves in bankruptcy trying to invest the capital required to do that but without the results in adds sales.

I hope they find a way.

And I hope this isn't just the styling of a Cascada coupe.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #12
FenwickHockey65

I think the LGW is the best engine for this thing given its segment.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I like it. I doubt its going to get built, but I like it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #14
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I like it. I would buy one.
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote