Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
HarryNW
HarryNW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Black (LS3)
Interesting clarification of State Law regarding colored Halos

Bottom Line: Any color other than white is illegal while driving in the State of Washington.

The details: There have been countless threads debating the legality of after-market colored halos. Most posts tend to indicate that the general belief is that as long as they are not red nor blue, nor flashing (in any color), then they are legal during driving.

I wanted to put that to the test here in Washington State, so I read the relevant citations (which did not explicitly answer my question) and submitted the following email to the Washington State Police:

Quote:
Newer model cars include (as stock from factory) decorative, non-projecting LED “halo” lighting around the actual headlights, which default to white. These are compliant with 49 C.F.R. Part 571.108 and chapter 46.37 RCW.

Are there any restrictions on the color of this LED Halo? There are many after-market LED Halo products available that can provide color options beyond the default white LED color.

My question does not appear to be answered with regards to changing the color of the LED Halo. Since the halo is NOT neon, nor a projected light in any manner, I do not see an applicable reference in WAC 204-21-230 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=204-21-230), other than restrictions on the color blue, color red or flashing of any color. As such, would a non-flashing green LED Halo be legal?
Here was the response in its entirety:

Quote:
The lighting standards for motor vehicles are outlined under the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (49 CFR 571.108 or FMVSS 108). Within Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 204-10, Washington State has adopted Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 108 and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J 578 as the standards for aftermarket vehicle lighting devices. These standards outline the characteristics of headlights, including their color (which must be white) and intensity.

Any replacement bulb/light would need to meet the same requirements as the original when used on the public roadway. The color of headlights as certified by the lighting manufacturer must be white according to the federal standard. If the aftermarket bulb complies with the color requirement there should be a DOT mark on the base of the bulb outlining the light manufacturers certification of compliance with the federal standards.

Therefore, the light would need to be certified as complying with the federal standard and meet the same requirements as the original bulb in order to be used on the vehicle when operated on the public roadway.

Thank you for your inquiry.
Full disclosure: I am a big fan of the NightOwl halo kit - I was an early adopter and have had countless great comments about the various effects I have demonstrated at meet-ups (read: on private property, parked), but prefer to drive with the halos set to a static light green color to match my trim (see sig or garage) for pictures.

Not sure if there is much room for misinterpretation - Unless the LED's (from Oracle, etc) or the entired LED chip (NightOWL) are federally certified, then not legal?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
Just have the remote ready. When you get pulled over, return them to default. Lead the cop to the front of your car and say "I don't know what u are talking about officer". I too have the NightOwl, and run deep purple. Never had a problem. Guess it all depends what kind of mood the officer is in. (Whether or not the donuts were fresh in the am)
Old 02-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
The Pa code on that is pretty clear. Unless it's factory, ornamental lighting is illegal period. Halos around the headlights are ornamental.
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...5/s175.66.html

Sorry forgot the link to the law.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
HarryNW
HarryNW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Black (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzurguy View Post
Just have the remote ready. When you get pulled over, return them to default. Lead the cop to the front of your car and say "I don't know what u are talking about officer". I too have the NightOwl, and run deep purple. Never had a problem. Guess it all depends what kind of mood the officer is in. (Whether or not the donuts were fresh in the am)
Yep, of course I would flip to white if I had any traffic stop, if not necessarily to evade the ticket but just to show it can easily be switched. Just wanted to clarify the finding.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
The Pa code on that is pretty clear. Unless it's factory, ornamental lighting is illegal period. Halos around the headlights are ornamental.
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...5/s175.66.html

Sorry forgot the link to the law.
The Stock Halos would be legal according to that law, right?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzurguy View Post
The Stock Halos would be legal according to that law, right?
Yes, they are factory. But, when you mod them like changing the color, they are no longer factory thus illegal.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
figured amber would be an acceptable color. does the stock halo have a DOT on it?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
figured amber would be an acceptable color. does the stock halo have a DOT on it?
In Pa it wouldn't be acceptable. The way I read the law, the Halo wouldn't have to carry the DOT because it's not part of the required lighting.
But changing it from stock makes it illegal.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
The lighting standards for motor vehicles are outlined under the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (49 CFR 571.108 or FMVSS 108). Within Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 204-10, Washington State has adopted Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 108 and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J 578 as the standards for aftermarket vehicle lighting devices. These standards outline the characteristics of headlights, including their color (which must be white) and intensity.

Any replacement bulb/light would need to meet the same requirements as the original when used on the public roadway. The color of headlights as certified by the lighting manufacturer must be white according to the federal standard. If the aftermarket bulb complies with the color requirement there should be a DOT mark on the base of the bulb outlining the light manufacturers certification of compliance with the federal standards.

Therefore, the light would need to be certified as complying with the federal standard and meet the same requirements as the original bulb in order to be used on the vehicle when operated on the public roadway.

Thank you for your inquiry.
this seems to be talking about headlights.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
this seems to be talking about headlights.
That's why I post the link to the Pa law. It's the entire law on lighting in Pa.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Heck in NC, we have a law in the code regarding 'Smoke Screens' and 'Cut-Outs'.
And we pay legislature to come up with this stuff.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
OUT MY WAY !!!!

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
I didnt read much of the thread .. just the part saying the light can only be white, but why would orange be illegal that would essentially make your halo your marker light

Last edited by DavidW; 02-06-2014 at 10:20 PM.
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
That's why I post the link to the Pa law. It's the entire law on lighting in Pa.
I thought the OP was talking about Washington state?

also, i'd be afraid to put aftermarket tires on a car in PA. lol