Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #113
bada

Drives: 1932 pro street truck ZO6 LS7 power
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
I've yet to see anything. I'm sure it will be all over the place when it happens.

Don't get too bent out of shape about some people's comments/opinions on this subject, as most people on this site are not hotrodders and don't understand where you are coming from. I mean, while it seems there are a few that turn their own wrenches, most wouldn't have the first clue on how to mod their cars in their own garage in order to improve performance. Forbid you muck with the "balance" that GM spent so much time and capital on getting just right!

Then you have those who seem to think because a car was designed with a particular type of performance in mind, that it should only be relegated to participating at that venue. The very idea that one would even consider taking a car designed for a road course to the drag strip is just uncivilized! People use words like "heritage" and "legacy" when talking about the Camaros that wore the z/28 badge, but when someone, like you, brings up the fact that far more original z/28's spent time at dragstrips than a road course, they conveniently gloss over that part of its history and immediately want to educate those they perceive as knuckle-draggers (as some would consider a hotrodders like yourself) on what the modern z/28 is designed for.

Prior to the announcement of the z/28, the same played out arguements took place regarding the modern ZL1. Despite the fact that the original ZL1 was a dragstrip terror, the same people would tell you the new one was intended for a different kind of track and if you wanted a car to drag race, you'd be better off buying a different car (GoldenBear anyone?). Yet today, on this very forum, I see far more people posting up ZL1 quarter mile times than I see posting about how much fun it was at a track day.

So true. Sorry for my little rant. But aren't all of us Bowtie car guys. I guess, I just follow the beat of a different drum. And you will see more 1/4 mile ETs posted, on the new Z/28. Than you will ring times.
bada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #114
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
If I could afford a Z/28, the first place I would take it? To the drag strip. Of course I would eventually track it, but other than buying stupid cars, I am cheap. $15 per event versus $400. Easy to see where my Z/28 would spend most of its time.

I also would get a kick out of driving my Z/28 around on the street. I like the feeling of driving a Barracuda (sic) among the minnows along with high merging cloverleaf speeds.

I am behaving the same way with my 1LE. So far I have done almost all the work on it myself, but I do draw a line on adding a cam unless a knowledgeable motor head would help me for beer. The 1LE saw the drag strip at 900 miles and so far it is the only track it has seen. I want to conquer the 11 second barrier before I move on. I get a kick out of people coming up to me in the staging lanes and saying, "Wait, that's a track car, what's it doing here?"

I also had a great time racing a stock Boss 2013 302 best out of three last week. My modded 1LE is a little faster, but he beat me 2 out 3 times due to my mistakes. He did have his track key on. So I told him to meet me at the other track where my modded 1LE would shine. First though, I would have to take my Drag Radials off that are my daily tires. I hope he can't out drive me there too.

Where else can you go all out to settle a grudge? Three fender to fender races were very exciting for both of us and the fans watching. Boss 302 versus the 1LE. On that night the Boss had the better driver.

I have a similar duel going on with a black '11 GT500. He has not beaten me yet after a number of tries on different nights. I hope he keeps trying, he will get me eventually.

At the drag strip I see all kinds of "track" cars, like Ferraris, Z06s, GT/Rs, BRZs, FRSes, Porches, and even a McLaren. Looking forward to seeing a Z/28 there. For sure I will try to run against it. The Z/28 driver better be on his or her toes.

Last edited by Fraxum; 11-22-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #115
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Quote:
Haters gonna hate, Speedy. We'll see 1/4 mile times from the z28 soon enough. I remember when I first bought my ZL1 and took it to the track. Everyone was saying, "it's not designed to be a drag car, you should be on a road course!"
I dont know what they are talking about mine is doing pretty good on the drag strip LOL!
camarovigoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #116
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
There you go!
From the Chevy website, I kind of think they intended it for the drag strip. If it wasn't intended for the quarter mile why did they put the rear end in they did? If it was intended strictly for the track they would have used a lighter one like the Z/28s.

EXCEPTIONAL PERFORMANCE, FROM STRIP TO STREET
…from track to street

Feel the rush of an engine that goes from 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds with an available Hydra-Matic® 6L90 automatic transmission. Boasts power you can feel, topping out at 184 mph with the available automatic, and covers a quarter-mile of pavement in a mere 12 seconds.
One of the reasons you’ll get there that fast is the standard Performance Traction Management. It features launch control that automatically modulates engine torque for the best possible acceleration without excessive wheel spin.
The 580-horsepower 6.2-liter supercharged V8 with 556 lb.-ft. of torque can be mated to a TREMEC® 6-speed manual (MG9) or available Hydra-Matic 6L90 automatic transmission. This aluminum-block engine is based on the legendary GM small block V8 architecture and features an intercooled supercharger system and premium heat-resistant aluminum alloy cylinder heads.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #117
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
..have fun takin' a dedicated road course car to the digs, whatever floats your boat, just to see whatever comparison from the past you wish to hang your hat on. This car has broken new ground, it's a purpose built road course car!!!! The ZL1 was
made for, and advertised as such, for both venues...and the modern COPO was soley built for the 1320 with no VIN...I'm waiting to see the clamor for taking that to the Green Hell.....LOL>.......
Old 11-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #118
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
What is "ground-breaking" about it? It's hardly Chevy's first stab at a purpose built track car, and there are other makes that have done the same in the past. Sure, you can consider the numbers it is capable of putting down an accomplishment for Team Camaro, but it's no more ground-breaking than the Boss 302 from Ford was just a few years ago. It's just the next car to incorporate some tried and true things (i.e. less weight, more tire, etc) using some tech that has been around for awhile but just not in a Camaro.

Don't get me wrong, it looks to be a strong performer, if not dominant, in the segment it was engineered for but it's hardly a new idea. The question I have is, if it was truly a "purpose-build road course car", like the COPO is a purpose-built drag car, then why does it need a VIN?
It is as racetrack-focused as a Camaro can be while still being factory-built street legal...thus the VIN.

The ground-breaking-ness of the Z/28 can be found in the utter lack of care for things like A/C, speakers, and sound-deadening in an otherwise street car to be sold through dealers. Even the "track-designed" Z06 didn't dare get rid of the rear compartment liners.

Then you could talk about specific things like the DSSV dampers: an expensive technology that are only shared with F1 cars and the Aston Martin One-77...or the 305mm front tires, the first time any factory-built car has fitted such large rubber up front for grip.

It's okay to be very impressed with the Z/28, it deserves it.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #119
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
It is as racetrack-focused as a Camaro can be while still being factory-built street legal...thus the VIN.

The ground-breaking-ness of the Z/28 can be found in the utter lack of care for things like A/C, speakers, and sound-deadening in an otherwise street car to be sold through dealers. Even the "track-designed" Z06 didn't dare get rid of the rear compartment liners.

Then you could talk about specific things like the DSSV dampers: an expensive technology that are only shared with F1 cars and the Aston Martin One-77...or the 305mm front tires, the first time any factory-built car has fitted such large rubber up front for grip.

It's okay to be very impressed with the Z/28, it deserves it.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #120
Fraxum

Wait. What does all this have to do with Z/28 1/4 mile times? It's the most likely all out track most Z/28s will ever see.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #121
OldScoolCamaro

...argue all you want, the new technology and dedicated design and forethought in the Gen 5 Camaro Z/28 is astounding. Compare it to anything done in the past, which was pretty much lame. The standards of Chevy today and what they are bringing to the table is amazing. Your argument is BS. Go back to the crappy ninetie's NV, and besides, you a Ford troll anyway.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #122
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
I remember back in the day when Ford would only sell Cobra R's to people with an active and valid racing license. If the z/28 is truly meant to be a "track" car, why not do something similar just to ensure that they don't immediately end up in some collector's garage?

because there is a good possibility there will be atleast 3000 of them to sell

Chrysler/Mopar did this with the first Drag Paks but some still ended up in garages for a collection. Only 50 of those.

Z/28 will be a collector car some day but not for a good 20+ years

Enjoy the car or whats the point
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #123
Fraxum

Quote:
I agree, and have all along, that the modern z/28 is the new standard when it comes to track-oriented, street-legal, pony cars. Hands down. Nobody is arguing that point. Of course, if you compare it to anything in the past, what came before is going to pale by comparison. Duh. Again, nobody was suggesting that any of the track-oriented cars of history hold a candle to this z/28.

I don't, contrary to what you suggest, live in the past when it comes to cars. (I do find it ironic though, that the person suggesting that I do carries the screenname "OldScoolCamaro"). I bought both my ZL1 and my GT500 because they were/are the pinnacle of both the Camaro and Mustang offerings at the time. I sold my ZL1 a little while ago in anticipation of picking up a z/28, so the idea that I somehow have an agenda with the car is ludicrous.

I guess because I currently own a Ford product, and I do not live and breathe GM only, that I am, by default, a "Ford troll" in the myopic view of some on this site. This is no surprise, as I have been around for awhile, and I see this is generally the term given to anyone on this site who does not go lockstep with the die-hard Camaro enthusiasts. It is what it is though, so I'll go on posting my thoughts and live with whatever label someone wants to put on me.
But given the topic of this thread, will you take your new Z/28 to the drag strip? What do you think it will run? Has your GT500 run 10 seconds yet?

Everyone is welcome here, even collectors. You don't have to be a fan boy. Different opinions are more interesting than just one. I wonder what The Pill thinks the Z/28 will run in the 1/4?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #124
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
If/when I get one, yes, I will take it to the dragstrip at least once and make a few passes just to see how it does. No, my GT500 has not hit 10"s yet. It is 100% stock right now, and other than bolting on drag radials, that is the configuration it's been in when it's been to the track. Best I've been able to manage is a 11.30 @126.

You are right, the conversation is always better when you have differing viewpoints weighing in. At least in my experience.
..true, when they are diplomatic opinions, other than biased slanted negative rhetoric which you have used with regularity.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #125
Fraxum

Off topic alert. You should be able to say what you think about the cars, bad or good. But try not to insult or attack the people. Some though take an attack on a car as an attack on themselves because they like or own a car. It's not.

12.2 @ 115.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #126
Fraxum

Quote:
No, my GT500 has not hit 10"s yet. It is 100% stock right now, and other than bolting on drag radials, that is the configuration it's been in when it's been to the track. Best I've been able to manage is a 11.30 @126.
Still a good run and an amazing MPH. Your new Z/28 will not be close to that. But it will have other talents.