Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #43
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Looking back at some time slips my race car runs 130mph with ~500 rwhp but it runs a 2 speed trans. I can see how some of you are getting 121-125 with mid 400s with a couple more gears involved.... My bad.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #44
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Are you icing the blower between runs?
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #45
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Are you icing the blower between runs?
no just opening the hood and let it try to cool down
Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #46
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpower View Post
best time was 11.7 @ 123 we are goning to retune tomorrow and hit the track friday with hopefully good news !!!! Its going low 11's this year and then Road course racing!!!!
The coolest ZL1 owner I know. Not afraid to push the car in the least, I so respect that.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #47
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
The coolest ZL1 owner I know. Not afraid to push the car in the least, I so respect that.
Thanks Fender I love this car on the track, road course , auto x or drag I am having a blast. after this low 11's. Maybe shoot for a 1.40.00 at Mosport road course ???
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #48
08blkshelby

Drives: 2008 Shelby gt500
Quote:
sure do pulleys , cold air, headers, heat exchanger and a custom SPI tune
By pulleys, do you mean upper and lower pulleys?

Do zl1,s have a intercooler reservoir (tank)? If so, try draining some water and adding ice. Find your intercooler pump fuse and jump it so it can run while your car is off. Repeat the process of draining and filling the reservoir with ice untill the water is ice cold to touch. This will eliminate heat soak at the track.

Hope this helps and good luck next time at the track!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #49
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
So, 118 @ 118 , that makes cense !!!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #50
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleews6 View Post
My 03 Cobra went 121 in 90* heat with 430rwhp @3700 pounds on Nittos. There is something holding this car back and like others have said,it's probably the timing being pulled. With his power and a good day at the track with everything working like it should I wouldn't be surprised if this car didn't run in the tens or real close to it.
TPOWER It's good to see your going back to the track with a drag racer. He will know all the tricks to making a car run like it should.
Good luck.

Wow 121 in the Cobra with 430 rwhp, I had pulley, intake, tune, exhaust, had 455 rwhp in my 04, and I only went 117-mph.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #51
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Wow 121 in the Cobra with 430 rwhp, I had pulley, intake, tune, exhaust, had 455 rwhp in my 04, and I only went 117-mph.
this is more realistic...
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #52
jleews6

Drives: mustangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Yup 11.40@121 with 430 RWHP. That's why I think this ZL1 has allot more in it. One other thing to think about is that the same day and same dyno that my car made 430 my friends 03 with the same mods but he had a ported blower and a lower pulley and he made almost 500.
The next day we went to new england dragway together and I ran the 11.40s (about 5 of them) and his best for the day was an 11.70 @122.
That's why I said earlier that you cant always go by the dyno number. The car setup and driver are sometimes allot more important then the HP number.
I still say that in better weather and with the car prepped for the track TPOWER will run very low 11s and maybe even dip into the tens.
jleews6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #53
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Nice run sweet video.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #54
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleews6 View Post
Yup 11.40@121 with 430 RWHP. That's why I think this ZL1 has allot more in it. One other thing to think about is that the same day and same dyno that my car made 430 my friends 03 with the same mods but he had a ported blower and a lower pulley and he made almost 500.
The next day we went to new england dragway together and I ran the 11.40s (about 5 of them) and his best for the day was an 11.70 @122.
That's why I said earlier that you cant always go by the dyno number. The car setup and driver are sometimes allot more important then the HP number.
I still say that in better weather and with the car prepped for the track TPOWER will run very low 11s and maybe even dip into the tens.
I think your dyno is a heart breaker for numbers and your Cobra was making more than 430...most pullied/tuned/headered Terminators put down high 400's, and most of them that are running real well with those mods are mid-high 11's around the 120mph trap speed...sometimes you see the trailer queen that "made 505" or 515...and never races...and most likely would trap lower and not ET well either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
So has anybody documented timing being pulled at hi temperatures? I know Ted Jannetty is working on this. it would be great to know accurately how much power is being lost in 100+ degree temperatures like here in Louisiana which is most of the year. I would use that baseline to begin mods..
Here's exactly what the stock ZL1 tune does for spark correction based on intake air temp, cylinder air mass, coolant temp, and RPM. What you'll see from the coolant temp table, is around the temp where the thermostat would keep the car on the highway (194ish) the multiplier is 1 to 0.90 at 212...so as your coolant comes up over 200, it will actually pull LESS timing due to elevated IAT. At 86 degrees intake air temp you'll see the multiplier would say to pull no timing at all, at any RPM, and progressively more and more as IAT climbs, and then the air mass table is the general lookup table for air mass versus IAT that those 2 multipliers are affecting....so you lookup the general number, then multiply it by the coolant temp correction, then make note of your RPM AND IAT, and multiply it by the other table. Get it?

Don't move the IAT sensor to the airbox blindly...then the data is lying to the computer and the knock sensors will have to cover for it...do everything you can to help the intercooler/heat exchanger keep the IAT down low near 86 I know a lot of Cobra guys run ice water tanks for their heat exchangers to do just that. After you've done that, you could probably make the lookup table less agressive as you tune, paying careful attention to AFR, injector duty cycle, and knock...if you can make it less agressive (pulling less spark) without making the knock sensors unhappy, then the car should be able to go faster...if you can't, then you're probably getting all you can out of it already.
Attached Images

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #55
jleews6

Drives: mustangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
I think your dyno is a heart breaker for numbers and your Cobra was making more than 430...most pullied/tuned/headered Terminators put down high 400's, and most of them that are running real well with those mods are mid-high 11's around the 120mph trap speed...sometimes you see the trailer queen that "made 505" or 515...and never races...and most likely would trap lower and not ET well either.

Here's exactly what the stock ZL1 tune does for spark correction based on intake air temp, cylinder air mass, coolant temp, and RPM. What you'll see from the coolant temp table, is around the temp where the thermostat would keep the car on the highway (194ish) the multiplier is 1 to 0.90 at 212...so as your coolant comes up over 200, it will actually pull LESS timing due to elevated IAT. At 86 degrees intake air temp you'll see the multiplier would say to pull no timing at all, at any RPM, and progressively more and more as IAT climbs, and then the air mass table is the general lookup table for air mass versus IAT that those 2 multipliers are affecting....so you lookup the general number, then multiply it by the coolant temp correction, then make note of your RPM AND IAT, and multiply it by the other table. Get it?

Don't move the IAT sensor to the airbox blindly...then the data is lying to the computer and the knock sensors will have to cover for it...do everything you can to help the intercooler/heat exchanger keep the IAT down low near 86 I know a lot of Cobra guys run ice water tanks for their heat exchangers to do just that. After you've done that, you could probably make the lookup table less agressive as you tune, paying careful attention to AFR, injector duty cycle, and knock...if you can make it less agressive (pulling less spark) without making the knock sensors unhappy, then the car should be able to go faster...if you can't, then you're probably getting all you can out of it already.

Good info Mike. Back in 03 there wasn't to many Cobras making high 400 with just a pulley,mail tune,cat back and a cai.
My basically stock WS6 (headers and a lid) made 350 and went 114 at full weight and that's faster then allot of stock ZL1s. I know they weigh allot more but it just shows what they are capable of running. I'm just trying to show that I think these ZL1s are capable of going fast but people just need to take the time to have them track ready when they go.

Do you agree in that a stock ZL1 stick should run 120 or close to in stock trim? or am I just thinking way off?
jleews6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #56
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
Which mode were you in and what rpm on the converter at launch? I am a novice and trying to learn. I ran for the first time in ten years. Curious as I had the car spin to much at 1800 and fall on its nose another time.
I ran the same time today 11.886 @ 124mph. .421r/t 2.145 60 foot. 60f at 3000 feet elevation ,stock tires. There is way more in the car.
Does your ZL1 have any mods?

124 trap is really fast this time of year.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote