Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
Absolutely test drive the SS as well. Also, try to see first hand all of the different packages, manual vs. automatic, as well as convertible vs. hardtop to see what you really like. I'm still waiting for my 2SS/RS vert with the manual transmission, but I looked at all of these things beforehand so I was sure I got EXACTLY what I wanted. I also looked at Mustangs, a few BMW's, and a used CTS-V. While the CTS-V is quicker/faster, there's just something about the Camaro. Like I told my wife, it's just like me....a little too big and a little too heavy, but still sexy as hell. No matter what kind of deal you get, you're still spending a lot of money on a vehicle. It just doesn't make any sense not to explore ALL of your options and get just what you want.
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #16

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinwe1 View Post
Defiantly test drive a SS also!!
Dustin, I couldn't resist..."DEFIANTLY" test drive an SS??...lol...Probably not a bad way to look at it, I suppose!!....lol..."Defy the cost!!..Throw caution to the wind!!"...lol...Food for thought...Excellent choice for this "theme"!!...lol

Last edited by 90503; 05-10-2012 at 10:30 AM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Camaro. I chose the V6 too. It was what my budget allowed. Yeah, only a few more mpg than the V8, yeah lots more power in that V8 but as has been said, how often do you need to go that fast? A few bucks here and there makes or breaks being able to afford it. Those of you with money to burn, have at it, I'm not rolling in the dough! I've driven enough big block cars and even a couple of Harleys to have satisfied my power cravings. Ego in check, I'm very happy with my V6 and screw anybody who belittles my choice.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Get what you can afford. I love my V6 because I can easily afford it. Just know that YOU WILL GET DISRESPECTED FOR DRIVING A V6…ESPECIALLY ON THIS FORUM.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #19

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
Get what you can afford. I love my V6 because I can easily afford it. Just know that YOU WILL GET DISRESPECTED FOR DRIVING A V6…ESPECIALLY ON THIS FORUM.
Good point!...Buy what you can afford, or buy based on "public opinion"...

If you over-extend yourself just to avoid hearing things on these forums from people you don't know and will never meet, I'd say that's not a good reason for selecting a certain make of car...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
I'm on a lot of diesel forums and this is the most respecting group of guys I've ever encountered. The professionalism of the mods is

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
If you're happy with the V6, I say go for the V6. I love mine. It was a more affordable option and is still an awesome head turning I car. Even though it doesn't have the big V8, it's still a really fun car to drive.

I had an Impala SS with a V8 and it was a blast. Even with traction control enabled, it broke loose the tires without an issue. Now I have a 2LT and I have no regrets. It's still a blast to drive and I get a grin on my face every time I climb into the ****pit.

My Impala SS felt like I was riding a rocket hanging on for dear life. My Camaro feels like I'm stepping into a fighter jet and flying at great speed with great maneuverability.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #22
Plexus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3
Get the 2LT... and when you're a little more financially comfortable you can think about upgrading.
Plexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
powerslave
Assembly: April 12/12

Drives: A Self-Propelled Mechanical Vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bybyetoyota View Post
So, I bought a Toyota Yaris a few years back, and while I loved the fuel economy I hated the jokes. Fast forward to now, and I'm coming into a bit of money from a property sale and I'm yearnin' for a new ride. A used BMW or Audi were pretty high on my list until I test drove a 2012 2LT and was absolutely blown away.

Now, the v6 is a HUGE upgrade from my '10 Yaris, but I'm already foreseeing work-place shit-talk about my choice in a v6 muscle car. I'd absolutely love an SS, but between the gas costs that'll come with using it for my daily driver and the insurance I'm leaning to being prudent in this economy. It's looking like I'll either have to choose between the practical V6's shit-talk, or getting my sex-on-wheels SS keyed by jealous assholes.

Any advice?
Well, a 323 HP sports coupe isn't very "practical" haha, your Yaris was practical. By the way you talk I think deep down you want the SS, and if that's the case that's what you should buy instead of "upgrading" as they like to call it around here, later.

Gen 5 V6 Camaro is a damn solid sports coupe. The V8 is a muscle car. They both behave according to those molds. I've test driven a lot of them and honestly for me the LT was a better choice, though if I had any doubts I would have bought the SS.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
AngeloVEnforcer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
I got the 1LT/RS, no shame here. I got a slack from a buddy because of it, but who cares, you're making the payments and insurance costs and you're driving it. People often ask me if its a V6 or V8, and even when I tell them its a V6, their first response is "Oh yea, isn't that the one with like 300 horses anyways???" A 300 HP Camaro is a 300 HP Camaro. On long trips I get 28 MPG if I stay between 65-70. Plus the money you save you can upgrade as well. With Flowmasters, mine sounds like a V8 anyways.
AngeloVEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #25
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
and BOTH are an extension ladder up from a Yaris

You will be good eithe way you go.
Fixed that for you.

"step" just didn't seem to fit there....
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #26
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
As everyone has been saying don't overstep your financial bounds, get something that is worth while to how you will be driving it and make sure you have no regrets after purchase.

I was looking for a garage queen, weekend/nice day driving car thus I went big with a 2SS. I wanted to have fun with something that was a lot more than my 200hp Pontiac G6, my DD, so I got a 400hp SS Camaro. Let me tell you it is a bit of money but it is worth every single one of my hard earned pennies
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote