Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-07-2022, 09:30 AM   #1
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Glad my 1LE has excellent brakes!

Or it would have been in an accident this morning. I was out for my Saturday morning drive. As I was driving on a five lane road near my house some woman in a Corolla pulls out of the Neighborhood Wal-Mart (making a left turn no less) right in front of me. How she didn't see me is beyond me. I slammed on the brake pedal as hard as I could and literally came to a stop a foot from her car. Of course she kept going and sped off.

There was a guy going the opposite direction who was in the process of turning into Wal-Mart who witnessed the incident. I turned into the Wal-Mart parking lot to check my car. He pulled in to get gas. He stopped to talk to me. He said he couldn't believe that I didn't hit her. Then he said those must be some damn good brakes on the Camaro because he had never seen a car stop so quickly . And then he said very cool car. I told that yes the brakes probably did keep me from hitting her.

It's unfortunate that in the world we live in today that you constantly have to be a defensive driver in order to stay halfway safe on the road. So many people are either distracted drivers or they don't care about anyone else. It's crazy out there. Be safe!
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)

Last edited by ZPirate; 05-07-2022 at 09:51 AM.
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #2
xplct

Drives: 2022 camaro 2ss 1LE
This is why I no longer ride a motorcycle on the street. Glad you were able to avoid the crash, props for being alert.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
ZPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplct View Post
This is why I no longer ride a motorcycle on the street. Glad you were able to avoid the crash, props for being alert.
I hear you. I wouldn't ride a motorcycle on the street either. I have several friends who have stopped riding for the same reason.

Thanks. I pride myself in always trying to be alert when driving. I've been preaching that to my kids since they started driving too.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
Old 05-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #4
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I used to be a road cyclist, and stopped riding because of distracted drivers.

I've taught my kids to assume other drivers will do something stupid, because they probably will.

Incidentally, I watch 'idiot drivers' videos on YouTube sometimes; they're entertaining, plus I learn new ways people act stupidly so I can anticipate better lol.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:25 PM   #5
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
The stopping distance in the 1LE is incredibly short, and (if I'm not mistaken) one of the best among mass produced cars.

Ironically, in the case of abrupt braking to avoid a car in front of us, we also need to be mindful that the cars behind us may not be able to stop as quickly. Thus, if you are in heavy traffic, aim to find a clear path FORWARD (to the left or right) during the braking event.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:35 PM   #6
ZPirate

Thankfully there was not anyone behind me in my lane of travel for significant distance. So I wasn't concerned about getting rear ended. I tend to check my mirrors on a regular basis.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
Old 05-07-2022, 06:51 PM   #7
Replica

Drives: 1985 IROC-Z, 2022 LT1
Glad to hear you and the car are safe, the drivers here in NC have definitely gotten severely worse in the last 5 years.

Cell phone use has become so normalized that it feels like every single drive has at least one oh shit moment lol.
Replica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:15 PM   #8
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
The brakes are insane. I took me a couple of track days to realize how hard and late you can brake.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:40 PM   #9
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
Braking distance is more tires than brakes. The reason most commuter cars have shitty stopping distances is because they run shitty tires. Even most standard car brakes can lock up Pilot Sport Cup 2s, but since they don't come with those as a factory option, they are never tested with high performance tires.

Thank your tires, not your brakes. The expensive 1LE brakes are for repeatedly hard stops, not a single stop.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:50 PM   #10
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
Or it would have been in an accident this morning. I was out for my Saturday morning drive. As I was driving on a five lane road near my house some woman in a Corolla pulls out of the Neighborhood Wal-Mart (making a left turn no less) right in front of me. How she didn't see me is beyond me. I slammed on the brake pedal as hard as I could and literally came to a stop a foot from her car. Of course she kept going and sped off.

There was a guy going the opposite direction who was in the process of turning into Wal-Mart who witnessed the incident. I turned into the Wal-Mart parking lot to check my car. He pulled in to get gas. He stopped to talk to me. He said he couldn't believe that I didn't hit her. Then he said those must be some damn good brakes on the Camaro because he had never seen a car stop so quickly . And then he said very cool car. I told that yes the brakes probably did keep me from hitting her.

It's unfortunate that in the world we live in today that you constantly have to be a defensive driver in order to stay halfway safe on the road. So many people are either distracted drivers or they don't care about anyone else. It's crazy out there. Be safe!

And the sad part is that if someone would've rear-ended you, they could've said that you aggressively stopped and tried to pin it on you. I had practically the same identical thing happen to me, but the moronic woman pulled out into a 6 lane road (3 east bound and 3 westbound) making a left turn and right out in front of me. I had to come to a complete stop as well. As luck would have it as I drove to get around her, and the dumb bitch rear-ended me 5 minutes later. I'm convinced she was on her phone the whole time and asked the cops to check her phone (they wouldn't). I swear the urge to want to punch her in the face was overwhelming.

Glad you made it out safe. Did you leave any rubber?
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 09:11 PM   #11
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Ironically, in the case of abrupt braking to avoid a car in front of us, we also need to be mindful that the cars behind us may not be able to stop as quickly. Thus, if you are in heavy traffic, aim to find a clear path FORWARD (to the left or right) during the braking event.
Exactly, if a pickup truck (or car with economy tires) is tailgating a Camaro on Supercar 3 or similarly sticky tires (happens basically every time I drive the car at a reasonable speed on the highway near Houston) they will generally be unable to avoid rear ending you if you perform full threshold braking to a stop even if they start braking at the exact moment you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
Braking distance is more tires than brakes. The reason most commuter cars have shitty stopping distances is because they run shitty tires. Even most standard car brakes can lock up Pilot Sport Cup 2s, but since they don't come with those as a factory option, they are never tested with high performance tires.

Thank your tires, not your brakes. The expensive 1LE brakes are for repeatedly hard stops, not a single stop.
I was going to mention this but you beat me to it.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:00 PM   #12
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Thanks for clarifying. I seem to have a hard time remembering it's mainly the tires that are producing the friction that stop you.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:19 AM   #13
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post

Yep, I already knew the 235s on my stinger were totally insufficient, a car that size needs more rubber underneath, but I was finding during aggressive braking I was getting some lock-up. Switched to some wider tires. Much better. Now I have the grip. I can still overpower the tire traction with the brakes in the 1LE, but that's more to do with some of the abrupt movements of autoX and not being able to weight and transition better.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:21 AM   #14
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
And the sad part is that if someone would've rear-ended you, they could've said that you aggressively stopped and tried to pin it on you.
They can say that, but it really doesn't stick. It's rare that it would ever stick. You always need to follow at a distance where you can stop. That may be different for different vehicles, but that's up to the following vehicle to be doing. You might have a kid run out in front of your car and you have to stop. It's the following driver's responsibility to follow at a safe distance.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote