BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 07-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
Ahh this one has a little bit more detail. Do you guys have any other links to the story?

http://www.storyleak.com/police-shoo...ging-pit-bull/
What's the detail that you are referring to?

The officer claims that is when the dog, which he described as a “vicious” pit bull, “lunged” out of the half-open window and attempted to bite his face.

A normal person and a trained professional if the above happened would merely jump back and assess the situation. Not shoot first ask questions later.....

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 07-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #16
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray View Post
Cops who were raised in the kill video game era living out their killing fantasy. Line up... Next?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
That is the most ignorant comment in this thread. Comments like this reflect your level of education.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #17
DandDC09

Drives: '10 2LT/RS, '13 Malibu
This is the sh*t that infuriates me! Quick to say it was a vicious Pit and he wasn't even close to it being a Pit and then the news is quick to report it as one too. Im glad they pointed out it wasn't one this time around. As an owner of two Pits, I'm quick to defend them! They are not a vicious breed! The owners are vicious! My two would lick you to death before they would ever lay teeth on you! Cops and people are so quick to say they're vicious, when in fact they are loving and loyal just like any other dog. They are abused and trained to be vicious, like their owners!

So did the dog just magically appear in the van before he placed his face near the open window for the Lab to almost bite him? Most officers I know would have approached the van with a little more caution, especially if they were looking for a van in particular!? I guess he's lucky it wasn't someone holding a shotgun close to the window waiting for him! We weren't there so of course we don't know the whole story. The owner shouldn't have left the dog locked in the van, but the officer, as a professional could have assessed it a little bit longer and prevented the shooting too...
Old 07-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #18
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
I think the dog was hanging out the window. The one picture shows the bullet hole and the window bent inwards. I'm not happy at all about police shooting dogs, it bothers me a lot but cops face a great number of unknowns. It's possible the cop was too aggressive but I always come back to the owner. The one who is responsible for the dog's safety. Leaving pets alone in a parked vehicle is just a super bad idea even just for a few minutes.

The owner's role in this doesn't make him a hero, yet I'm not sure how that wrinkle imparts clear knowledge of the overall situation or the contents of the van to the shooter.

here's what I know from the article:

1) possible kid toucher with a van. Now to me that means 'possible kid in the van'
2) when cop tried to look in van he was threatened by dog
3) cop shoots dog in the van

From the article I don't see how the cop knew what was in the van. Thanks to goodness there wasn't another occupant. Without his knowing what was in the van I must question the cop's judgement. And yes it is easy for me to do that from the safety of my chair. But police are expected to have good judgment in stress situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Yes...especially considering the police were looking for a van used to abduct children.....
I find this to be pivotal as well
Old 07-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #19
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
The owner's role in this doesn't make him a hero, yet I'm not sure how that wrinkle imparts clear knowledge of the overall situation or the contents of the van to the shooter.

here's what I know from the article:

1) possible kid toucher with a van. Now to me that means 'possible kid in the van'
2) when cop tried to look in van he was threatened by dog
3) cop shoots dog in the van

From the article I don't see how the cop knew what was in the van. Thanks to goodness there wasn't another occupant. Without his knowing what was in the van I must question the cop's judgement. And yes it is easy for me to do that from the safety of my chair. But police are expected to have good judgment in stress situations.

I find this to be pivotal as well

Yeah I'm wondering how much of the inside of the van the officer saw before he fired but the news report doesn't give us much.

Earlier in the thread though people were mentioning a few things they would like to see police do that might prevent this kind of stuff from ever happening and I couldn't help but think that's more on the owner.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #20
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Yeah I'm wondering how much of the inside of the van the officer saw before he fired but the news report doesn't give us much.

Earlier in the thread though people were mentioning a few things they would like to see police do that might prevent this kind of stuff from ever happening and I couldn't help but think that's more on the owner.
In this situation the police officer is suppose to be the professional....not the dog owner.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #21
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
In this situation the police officer is suppose to be the professional....not the dog owner.
There's a few simple rules with owning a dog that if followed protect your dog and anyone else around. 1 of them is you don't leave your dog in a parked vehicle. Doing so is stupid and asking for trouble and it's always the animal who suffers.

Whether the cop was a pro or not you don't know that. You have a news story that doesn't give much information but if you know anything about cops they are not going to tolerate a dog they see as a threat. If that guy was too aggressive or not that remains to be seen.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I really can't understand placing blame on the owner other than owning a vehicle that matched the description of a perverts.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #23
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
There's a few simple rules with owning a dog that if followed protect your dog and anyone else around. 1 of them is you don't leave your dog in a parked vehicle. Doing so is stupid and asking for trouble and it's always the animal who suffers.

Whether the cop was a pro or not you don't know that. You have a news story that doesn't give much information but if you know anything about cops they are not going to tolerate a dog they see as a threat. If that guy was too aggressive or not that remains to be seen.
Again...

The cop in this situation is suppose to be the professional.

How many dogs do you own?

Lol...(but not really) a dog as a threat so shoot it is what you are saying?

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #24
kingdave

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
"the officer was distraught after returning from the scene" to me sounds like he knew he was in the wrong
Old 07-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #25
Burn Notice24

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
This is why I have no faith in our law enforcement. It seems like these stories happen every week.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #26
HollyVenus
The girl with the 2 Danes

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandDC09 View Post
This is the sh*t that infuriates me! Quick to say it was a vicious Pit and he wasn't even close to it being a Pit and then the news is quick to report it as one too. Im glad they pointed out it wasn't one this time around. As an owner of two Pits, I'm quick to defend them! They are not a vicious breed! The owners are vicious! My two would lick you to death before they would ever lay teeth on you! Cops and people are so quick to say they're vicious, when in fact they are loving and loyal just like any other dog. They are abused and trained to be vicious, like their owners!

I'm the same way when it comes to Pits... I think they have a horrible rap... Chi-thingy's are far more vious than the pits...

So did the dog just magically appear in the van before he placed his face near the open window for the Lab to almost bite him? Most officers I know would have approached the van with a little more caution, especially if they were looking for a van in particular!? I guess he's lucky it wasn't someone holding a shotgun close to the window waiting for him! We weren't there so of course we don't know the whole story. The owner shouldn't have left the dog locked in the van, but the officer, as a professional could have assessed it a little bit longer and prevented the shooting too...
espicially if they thought this was a van with a child in it... or the perv. good thing as mentioned some where that thank goodness is wasn't a shotgun lunging out the window at his face.

Quote:

that was my first thought? why was the dog left in the parked car while he was off eating Breakfast? but again ... there was one in the news not to long ago that was a wiemer that was shot in his own back yard while the owner was at the store because they were looking for a lost kid??? the office shot the dog in the back yard.... so yes I think a course in animal behavior would do some good.

did you happen to see all the inks to the other stories???
office unloaded his pistol on a dog that was just 5 feet from a toddlers window.... a service dog at a 9 year old's b-day party....
http://www.storyleak.com/video-polic...thday-party-2/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1432682.html
http://www.infowars.com/police-offic...or-his-safety/
http://www.storyleak.com/police-exec...edroom-window/

I mean seriously... when does this STOP???
Old 07-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #27
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVenus View Post
espicially if they thought this was a van with a child in it... or the perv. good thing as mentioned some where that thank goodness is wasn't a shotgun lunging out the window at his face.

that was my first thought? why was the dog left in the parked car while he was off eating Breakfast? but again ... there was one in the news not to long ago that was a wiemer that was shot in his own back yard while the owner was at the store because they were looking for a lost kid??? the office shot the dog in the back yard.... so yes I think a course in animal behavior would do some good.

did you happen to see all the inks to the other stories???
office unloaded his pistol on a dog that was just 5 feet from a toddlers window.... a service dog at a 9 year old's b-day party....
http://www.storyleak.com/video-polic...thday-party-2/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1432682.html
http://www.infowars.com/police-offic...or-his-safety/
http://www.storyleak.com/police-exec...edroom-window/

I mean seriously... when does this STOP???
When these "professionals" are held accountable for making the wrong decisions.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #28
TrekGTO

Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
It’s a wonder they didn’t charge the dog owner with leaving the dog alone in van to cover their ass. You know legally they don’t value a dog for much $ if you try and sue someone for killing an animal unless it has special value. Every dog I have owned is priceless member of family. I bet If I went up to some ones car and shot a barking dog I would go to jail.
Closed Thread