Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #15
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Had a l99..a 2011 2ssrs vert, needed a tranny tune....wanted a manual and eventually traded up to the FASTER manual with out the nightmare of the VVT/AFM crappola that make the engine so much harder to build and come with less HP, less Compression and milder cam and simply installed a true 700 rwhp clutch the monster LT1s which drives like stock. Manuals are a pain for stop and go driving in big cities though or clogged freeways. Now for a manual its old school feel that most now don't want, a good MGW shifter is essential as the stock shifter sucks and is not short throw and the return spring sucked on mine and I would hit between gates sometimes.

Zerosixtytimes.com showed times for the manual exceeding the automatic BTW, but for racing old chevies I always went with shift kitted turbo 350s or 400s and a good converter. Vendors on here sell built automatics and manuals. If your just looking for the feel of more power off the line the Manual and one with dual mode exhaust kick butt over a l99 in feel and well most l99 are very hard pressed to ever burn rubber IMO unless your taking all the nannies off stock... And if your looking to keeping it stock and just want fun and fast either way its fun but the manual makes the automatic feel weak stock for stock, and the NPP exhaust is a kick in the pants especially if tuned and you get the nice exhaust burble downshifting and at the fuel shut off if tuned....

As anything in Hotrodding its all in what your wanting. And yes you would be way money ahead to buy a manual if you want a manual. Theres the AFM/DOD VVT and just so much to change even not being able to remote start.... just not a simple tranny swap. Many if not almost all do a AFM delete on a build, many still keep VVT which is a good feature versus a ls3 conversion on a automatic for the engine. Read up, good luck! Its more in what you want a car to do than you know.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #16
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Buy a manual, Would make no sense to swap an Auto car to Maual when there's plenty of manual cars for sale.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #17
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
A fast troll
Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #18
ritchet

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS Red Rock
I was thinking about adding a supercharger to my V6 and after running the numbers it is a no brainer to just trade it on an SS or Mustang GT.
ritchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #19
sweet99ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
Put a stall and drag radials on the auto and go faster then any manual will.... And if you want a manual do what others said and buy a manual transmission car. Just doesn't make sense to swap it..
sweet99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #20
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet99ss View Post
Put a stall and drag radials on the auto and go faster then any manual will.... And if you want a manual do what others said and buy a manual transmission car. Just doesn't make sense to swap it..
Old 07-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #21
CrimsonColt

Drives: 2010 l99Camaro white/inferno orange
Let's not argue over ls3 vs l99 here. We buy a car with a certain transmission for different reasons. I bought my l99 because it was a good price used and my wife can drive it. I don't feel like a chick driving it although if she wasn't driving it I'd rather have a stick. Or if I was driving something like a wrx if prefer a stick
CrimsonColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #22
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonColt View Post
Let's not argue over ls3 vs l99 here. We buy a car with a certain transmission for different reasons. I bought my l99 because it was a good price used and my wife can drive it. I don't feel like a chick driving it although if she wasn't driving it I'd rather have a stick. Or if I was driving something like a wrx if prefer a stick
I taught my wife and every one of my children to drive manual. You know, just in case. The driving school said, "No, don't do it." But I am a rebel without a cause so I did it.

So I ride with my wife after I thought she knew and we go to the groceries. She backs out of the space, sticks it into 3rd, rides the clutch a bit, and off we go. No more shifting the whole way home but she does remember to push in the clutch when coming to a stop. And then we are off again when the signal turns green.

My mom and dad, when they learned to drive, automatics didn't even exist. Three on the tree. They learned. Not that I will ever let my 87 year old mom in my Camaro, but I'm sure she could do it if she had to. It's not rocket science.

If you want one hint out of many how a manual transmission can be more fun than an automatic. drive along in 4th gear at 35 MPH. Sure, you can keep up with traffic without ever downshifting. Now for the fun. Push in the clutch, shift down to second while standing on the accelerator so the RPMs are standing on the rev limiter. Dump the clutch.
You will never have that feeling from an automatic. I knocked my brother-in-law right out of his shoes. His eyes looked like Betty Boop.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:33 AM   #23
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
So converting from auto to stick, is harder a proposition, than converting from stick to auto, is what y'all sayin here?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:30 AM   #24
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
I taught my wife and every one of my children to drive manual. You know, just in case. The driving school said, "No, don't do it." But I am a rebel without a cause so I did it.

So I ride with my wife after I thought she knew and we go to the groceries. She backs out of the space, sticks it into 3rd, rides the clutch a bit, and off we go. No more shifting the whole way home but she does remember to push in the clutch when coming to a stop. And then we are off again when the signal turns green.

My mom and dad, when they learned to drive, automatics didn't even exist. Three on the tree. They learned. Not that I will ever let my 87 year old mom in my Camaro, but I'm sure she could do it if she had to. It's not rocket science.

If you want one hint out of many how a manual transmission can be more fun than an automatic. drive along in 4th gear at 35 MPH. Sure, you can keep up with traffic without ever downshifting. Now for the fun. Push in the clutch, shift down to second while standing on the accelerator so the RPMs are standing on the rev limiter. Dump the clutch.
You will never have that feeling from an automatic. I knocked my brother-in-law right out of his shoes. His eyes looked like Betty Boop.
Umm, I've owned both a stalled and tuned auto and of course the LS3 in my sig. I will have to disagree with your perception. If I wanted to, I could skip all the way down to 2nd just as easily and scare the shit out of my passenger quite easily in my auto. A stall converter and tune makes all the difference in the world. Ask me how many stick shift cars I ever lost to in the auto........... Wait a sec, I'll answer that for you........ Not one. In a drag setup or light to light, an auto will win 99 percent of the time. Sometimes even 100 percent........ Really depends on the driver.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:13 AM   #25
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
[QUOTE=2010reddevil;9842026]Umm, I've owned both a stalled and tuned auto and of course the LS3 in my sig. I will have to disagree with your perception. If I wanted to, I could skip all the way down to 2nd just as easily and scare the shit out of my passenger quite easily in my auto.

You have a 6,000 RPM stall? Or I am probably mis-under-standing.

How many times exactly have you actually, really and truly, knocked the shoes off your passenger? Seen the empty gyms on the firewall? Truth be told.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #26
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
[QUOTE=CamaroFred;9842035]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
Umm, I've owned both a stalled and tuned auto and of course the LS3 in my sig. I will have to disagree with your perception. If I wanted to, I could skip all the way down to 2nd just as easily and scare the shit out of my passenger quite easily in my auto.

You have a 6,000 RPM stall? Or I am probably mis-under-standing.

How many times exactly have you actually, really and truly, knocked the shoes off your passenger? Seen the empty gyms on the firewall? Truth be told.
Well I have done the 100 dollar trick and haven't had anyone grab it while I wore the good shoes. My stall was 4k rpm and was designed for a Novi blower. Stalled around 3400 all motor. Pre stall, I cut 0-60 in 3.8 sec dead hooking. Afterwards, the tires actually didn't dead hook on the street anymore, I'd spun in 1st and scratch 2nd hard. At the track, it would bark them all the way to 4th. My Camaro was a totally different animal though. I never got to see how good it would do with a proper tire.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote