Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #1
Jchuba03

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS IBM
made another kids day!

Was at my buddies house yesterday, went inside while he finished getting ready. Right before we are about to leave, we get a knock on the door. My friend answers it, then yells over to me that "this guy wants to take pictures of your car" . So I go outside and this "guy" was probably a 14 year old kid. I said sure, go ahead and take as many as you like. I asked him if he needed them for a project or something, he said "no, I just really like cars.". Hearing that, I asked him if he wanted to take a ride in it around the block. His eyes lit up, and he hopped in the passenger seat before I could finish my sentence. Hit the gas a couple times for him, and a permagrin was born. Hopefully another camaro owner was made because of it!
Jchuba03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Doing gods work
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
My brother bought a new 1978 Special Addition Trans AM back in the day. Some of the kids that lived nearby wanted to go for a ride so he told them to go home & take a shower then he would give them a ride so they did.

Those were some happy kids with Moms in disbelief wonder why their son's were taking a shower in the middle of the day.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Kawirocket674

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Very cool!
Kawirocket674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
Jchuba03

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Doing gods work
Haha, I know the big fella upstairs is cruising around in a pearly white ZL1. Word on the street is that he's looking at a Z/28 now...
Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
That's great and all, but didn't his mother ever tell him to not talk to strangers...let alone get in a car with them...creeeepy. If I were that kid's parent, I think I'd have a talk with you...
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
Jchuba03

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
That's great and all, but didn't his mother ever tell him to not talk to strangers...let alone get in a car with them...creeeepy. If I were that kid's parent, I think I'd have a talk with you...
I thought about that afterwards. Looking back, I probably would have made him ask his parents, but the thought didn't cross my mind. It's kind of crappy that these comments come up, but Its necessary due to the world we live in today. Im only 24, but I swear, my morals are the same as someone raised in the 60's/70's. It disappoints me, really.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Awesome!! I never get tired of taking people for rides in mine. I get asked all the time by kids and adults and I never say no.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchuba03 View Post
Was at my buddies house yesterday, went inside while he finished getting ready. Right before we are about to leave, we get a knock on the door. My friend answers it, then yells over to me that "this guy wants to take pictures of your car" . So I go outside and this "guy" was probably a 14 year old kid. I said sure, go ahead and take as many as you like. I asked him if he needed them for a project or something, he said "no, I just really like cars.". Hearing that, I asked him if he wanted to take a ride in it around the block. His eyes lit up, and he hopped in the passenger seat before I could finish my sentence. Hit the gas a couple times for him, and a permagrin was born. Hopefully another camaro owner was made because of it!
Priceless
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Last year during the Woodward Dream Cruise, There was a charity that was asking for people with convertibles to help out.
We were giving rides to disabled people that have to be transported in a van usually and never get a chance to ride in a regular car. They would use a small crane type lifting device to put them in the car (that's why they were looking for convertibles).
We lined our cars up and let the riders pick which one they wanted to ride in. The first one up said 'I want the black one' which happened to be my 2013 ZL1 convertible.

Let me tell you, the smile on that guys face (he was probably in his late teens) when I lit up the tires and headed out to Woodward was a moment we will both treasure forever.

The Ultragrin we get when we buy our car is nothing compared to passing it on to another person.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
Jchuba03

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Last year during the Woodward Dream Cruise, There was a charity that was asking for people with convertibles to help out.
We were giving rides to disabled people that have to be transported in a van usually and never get a chance to ride in a regular car. They would use a small crane type lifting device to put them in the car (that's why they were looking for convertibles).
We lined our cars up and let the riders pick which one they wanted to ride in. The first one up said 'I want the black one' which happened to be my 2013 ZL1 convertible.

Let me tell you, the smile on that guys face (he was probably in his late teens) when I lit up the tires and headed out to Woodward was a moment we will both treasure forever.

The Ultragrin we get when we buy our car is nothing compared to passing it on to another person.

This made me smile just reading it. Had to be an awesome feeling for the both of you.

Sometimes we get used to our cars since we use them everyday, and start taking them for granted. It is these types of moments that really show you how special these cars are.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
StanTheMan

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Awesome!!!

If I did that here, picking a random kid in my car for a ride around the block, by the time I make a U-turn and come back, there will be cops waiting for me asking a whole lot of questions. A buddy of mine saw a kid fall as she ran, he rushed to help the little girl up and this lady called the cops thinking that he was trying to do whatever she though he was... People are mental here
StanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #13
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchuba03 View Post
I thought about that afterwards. Looking back, I probably would have made him ask his parents, but the thought didn't cross my mind. It's kind of crappy that these comments come up, but Its necessary due to the world we live in today. Im only 24, but I swear, my morals are the same as someone raised in the 60's/70's. It disappoints me, really.
These comments come up because kids are abducted every single day. Sad but true. We live in a great country, but this crap happens multiple times in different states, on a daily basis.

You're 24, but think of yourself as a parent. Your kid comes home and says some guy asked him to "take a ride" with him "around the block". Doesn't that seem a little odd to you? Perhaps it's the new parent protective factor in me. But, I would be at your door in 2 seconds (packing) and I would tell you to never even look at my kid again.

Just the other day, I heard a news story about a young girl abducted from her neighborhood and she was a block away from her house. She even had a cell phone on her. The guy lured her close enough to his truck and grabbed her.

Times have changed my friend. When I was a kid, we thought nothing of going trick or treating alone. Now, all kids I see are accompanied by an adult, and for good reason.

Great, the kid liked your car. Fantastic. Many people like the camaro. It turns heads a lot. But, giving a strange kid a ride in your car is just wrong man.
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #14
Jchuba03

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
These comments come up because kids are abducted every single day. Sad but true. We live in a great country, but this crap happens multiple times in different states, on a daily basis.

You're 24, but think of yourself as a parent. Your kid comes home and says some guy asked him to "take a ride" with him "around the block". Doesn't that seem a little odd to you? Perhaps it's the new parent protective factor in me. But, I would be at your door in 2 seconds (packing) and I would tell you to never even look at my kid again.

Just the other day, I heard a news story about a young girl abducted from her neighborhood and she was a block away from her house. She even had a cell phone on her. The guy lured her close enough to his truck and grabbed her.

Times have changed my friend. When I was a kid, we thought nothing of going trick or treating alone. Now, all kids I see are accompanied by an adult, and for good reason.

Great, the kid liked your car. Fantastic. Many people like the camaro. It turns heads a lot. But, giving a strange kid a ride in your car is just wrong man.
Fair enough, I agree with you for the most part. Im just saying that it sucks it has to be like that.

Like I said, in hindsight, I would have made the kid go ask his parents, but the thought never really crossed my mind.