Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #29
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
I HAVE no Intent saying anything Negitive towards or about the OP. What you did was a nice thing. It's the Parents of the young man and all Parents who need to warn there KIDS not all STRANGERs are NICE C5 members this was my Point I just happen to live in the state of the Infamous Jacob Wetterling case. This always bring ups memories. ^5 Peace Brother No intent was meant GOD bless and Peace be with you
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #30
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
To the OP - kudos for making that kid's day!

I get what everyone else is saying too, however. I have two young kids (9 and 7) of my own. I have that level of paranoia with them because today's society basically mandates it if I want to ensure they come home in one piece. Even when my kids' friends ask if they can come in and play, I insist on meeting their parents and getting their OK first for reasons others already mentioned. Same with getting in my car, and the same applies if my kids want to go to someone's house or get a ride. It absolutely changes your perspective having kids. That said, I'm not here to lecture you on your decision, but for your own protection just CYA. Some of these heat-packing parents like the peeps on this thread might come knockin'. Sad, but reality.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #31
Blue-J

Drives: 2013 2LT HWSE
I went to numerous auto get-togethers last year. I have had more than 200 kids have their pictures taken plus additional older individuals. If a kid shows an interest in the car I ask the folks if they have a camera and offer to let the child get in the drivers seat for a picture. If a lone youngster shows an interest I ask them to get their parent if they think there is a camera available. This also happens in parking lots while shopping. Made me happy to see all those PermaGrins! Hope it happens again this summer.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #32
Mr Fire

Drives: 2SS RS 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
Awesome!!!

If I did that here, picking a random kid in my car for a ride around the block, by the time I make a U-turn and come back, there will be cops waiting for me asking a whole lot of questions. A buddy of mine saw a kid fall as she ran, he rushed to help the little girl up and this lady called the cops thinking that he was trying to do whatever she though he was... People are mental here
+1
Mr Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #33
Revster

Drives: 2015 ZL1
You were being a nice guy, to hopefully a future gear head, when I was that kids age a ride in a cool car would not have brought up all these issues. Its sad that this is the way things are today.
Revster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #34
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
Now the real story:. the 14 year old just posted those pics on Facebook trying to impress some chick in the 11th grade by convincing her he just got a Camaro.
so you let him ride in your car and got him laid. you really made his day
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #35
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
I like what you did here because it was from the heart. You gotta be careful with kids though, the parents go ballistic for their kids and rightly so. In this case it is better to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness. I think I would have asked the parents first. But good work, sir.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #36
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchuba03 View Post
For everyone out there questioning this, please realize that looking back on it, I wouldn't have gave the kid a ride without the parents permission. It caught me so off guard that the thought didn't cross my mind till afterwards.

On a side note, the kid wasn't as young as some of you are probably picturing. he was 14-16, and was actually bigger than me(Before anyone jumps down my throat, ino, this point is somewhat irrelevant). Obviously, If the kid was 7-8-9 years old or whatever, I wouldn't have offered him a ride.

The kid just seemed to be so into the car, and the way he went about asking if he could take a picture instead of just doing it, I figured what the hell, he'd probably love to take a spin in it.

Hindsight is 20/20, but you live and learn.
It doesn't matter that he was 14, or 16. He's a minor...A child in the eye of the law. And he doesn't know you and you don't know him. For all you know he's a crazy kid who tells stories for fun. "Yes officer. He told me to get in his car and then he touched me."

I just can't even imagine putting an unknown kid in my car. That's wrong no matter what angle you look at it.

Research shows the human brain doesn't stop developing until we are 25 years old and the last thing to develop are things like decision making skills...so...
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #37
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Awesome! There have been articles lately that say the younger generation doesn't have much passion for cars. That sucks. That young man is already richer for having an interest.