Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #211
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
I don't know that anyone is afraid of the Camaro not having a V8, they just don't like the idea of a 4 cylinder in a muscle car, because that's not a 'muscle' engine.

I wonder if they'd go so far to offer 4 Cylinder, V6 and V8... doubt it, but it would kind of be nice for the people inbetween.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #212
ENV US

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green RS, 1999 Camaro
So y'all know there was a 4cyl option in the third generation Camaro as well as he Firebird? I sold a few back then to people that couldn't afford a v8 or the insurance. Gave 1st time buyers the opportunity to drive a new Camaro within their budget.
ENV US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #213
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
The length of time the V8 will exist is still an unknown, but I believe its day in cars produced for the affordable car market is numbered. I see it continuing for a while in specialty low volume cars but with all the government regulations going into effect over the next 10 years will require more and more fuel efficient cars be sold over high powered V8s.
So to begin with, introduction of more smaller engines including the downsizing of the V8's and the cars they are used in will be necessary. Now if they can figure a way to give you a 500 HP V8 that gives 30+mpg overall then we will all be winners....as long as it doesn't cost $100,000 to buy.
So my question to those not wanting to see a 4 cylinder Camaro, would you rather have a Affordable Camaro with decent performance that gets 40mpg, with a high performance version available to a limited number of people at a premimum price. Or no Camaro at all? Believe me If it comes down to having GM choose between the Camaro or Corvette remaining as the brands performance image leader, the Corvette will win out.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #214
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
The length of time the V8 will exist is still an unknown, but I believe its day in cars produced for the affordable car market is numbered. I see it continuing for a while in specialty low volume cars but with all the government regulations going into effect over the next 10 years will require more and more fuel efficient cars be sold over high powered V8s.
So to begin with, introduction of more smaller engines including the downsizing of the V8's and the cars they are used in will be necessary. Now if they can figure a way to give you a 500 HP V8 that gives 30+mpg overall then we will all be winners....as long as it doesn't cost $100,000 to buy.
So my question to those not wanting to see a 4 cylinder Camaro, would you rather have a Affordable Camaro with decent performance that gets 40mpg, with a high performance version available to a limited number of people at a premimum price. Or no Camaro at all? Believe me If it comes down to having GM choose between the Camaro or Corvette remaining as the brands performance image leader, the Corvette will win out.
Honestly, if I were looking to buy one, no Camaro at all. I'd save for a Vette or similar.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #215
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
So my question to those not wanting to see a 4 cylinder Camaro, would you rather have a Affordable Camaro with decent performance that gets 40mpg, with a high performance version available to a limited number of people at a premimum price. Or no Camaro at all?
All your choices are worse than what is available right now. So... why are you giving us grief about not being happy about it?

Is there some reason why they can't make an SS version of an already-4 cylinder car? I'm stumped as to why people claim the Camaro has to have a 4 cylinder.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #216
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
The 2.0 turbo may work if they drop about 1500 lbs. off the current Camaro.
1500 lbs.....the Camaro goes on 'the biggest loser' show......and comes back as a miata.
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #217
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
All your choices are worse than what is available right now. So... why are you giving us grief about not being happy about it?

Is there some reason why they can't make an SS version of an already-4 cylinder car? I'm stumped as to why people claim the Camaro has to have a 4 cylinder.
It doesn't have to, but after all it did start out with a 140hp straight six to begin with so what difference does it make ?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #218
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
A lighter, more efficient Camaro is a good move. I am looking forward to the 6th Gen. While I like my 5th Gen, it is too big and too heavy.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #219
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
It doesn't have to, but after all it did start out with a 140hp straight six to begin with so what difference does it make ?
286 HP?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #220
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
I'm sure you can name loads of turbo cars that have had engine issues and I'm sure I can name loads of N/A cars that have had engine issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
All engines undergo the same testing before they're warranted.
That's all well and good that they are engineered to last until the warranty expires. My concern is what happens after that? Being an Alero owner, I am fully and painfully aware of what happens to certain cars as soon as the warranty period is over. And a turbo failure is a very expensive potential problem that a N/A engine does not have.

Sure, a lot of them may never have any problems over the life of the car. My point was, and there really is no way anyone can deny that every car that ever suffered a turbo failure was turbocharged, while no N/A engine has ever had a turbo fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
Instead of outrage this should be viewed as a great thing. If the 6th Gen Camaro can have a viable turbo 4cyl option then this will be a much lighter and more nimble vehicle than the 5th Gen. That's better for all levels of performance and fuel efficiency.
Yes, there are great lightweight, nimble, 4-cylinder sports cars out there, a few of which already exceed in terms of handling, lightweight, and efficiency anything that will come from the ATS platform. If I were interested in that type of car, I could already have one.

Taking away the uniqueness of the Camaro, and instead building it in the template of stuff that's already out there has the potential to backfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENV US View Post
So y'all know there was a 4cyl option in the third generation Camaro as well as he Firebird?
We are well aware of the 4-cylinder 3rd gen Camaros. That's exactly why some of us are so strongly opposed.

Quote:
So my question to those not wanting to see a 4 cylinder Camaro, would you rather have a Affordable Camaro with decent performance that gets 40mpg, with a high performance version available to a limited number of people at a premimum price.
This is exactly my concern. High performance, high efficiency, low price. You can have two.

If they really wanted to make it more affordable, they'd stay with the N/A V6. N/A is cheaper than turbos. And factoring in the difference between regular and premium gas, N/A is cheaper at the pump too.

Quote:
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #221
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The ATS with a Turbo 4 clocks a quarter Mile in 14.1 Yenko Camaros turned effortless mid-13s. http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/...camaro-427.htm

I can see why no one would want a 6th Gen with a turbo four
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #222
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:

I love how you ignore everything said about government regulations and gas mileage. You just will never understand things are changing rapidly and downsizing engines and cars is the only way it will be met. I am not giving you grief, you are living in denial. EPA regs call for average fuel economy to be 35.5 mpg by 2016. Guess what, that is just 3 years away.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #223
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:
I love how you ignore everything said about government regulations and gas mileage. You just will never understand things are changing rapidly and downsizing engines and cars is the only way it will be met. I am not giving you grief, you are living in denial. EPA regs call for average fuel economy to be 35.5 mpg by 2016. Guess what, that is just 3 years away.
I didn't ignore it, it's not relevant.

Does selling a 4 cylinder Camaro instead of a 4 cylinder Cruze (or insert any other non-muscle car here) improve fleet fuel economy? My guess is no.

But, by selling 4 cylinder muscle cars you do have a real good chance of messing up your muscle car sales. So we got that going for us...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #224
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
Yay a turbo! I cant wait! Eeeeeerr chhhhhhh.. Only mod ill need is a bov
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th generation camaro, alpha camaro, alpha platform camaro, camaro 4 cylinder turbo, camaro alpha platform, turbo 4 camaro, turbo 4 cylinder camaro