Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
It's not common at all with a new engine. This is not the typical oil consumption issue on the V6 engines.
I understand that it's not "normal". I was pointing to the number of threads here on the forum with others reporting this flaw.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi Aspare,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your new Camaro! I would be happy to assist in a resolution. If you could send me a private message with your name, address, phone number, VIN, vehicle mileage, and name of involved dealership, I can look further into the issue for you. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspare View Post
I purchased a new 2013 camaro ls and two weeks into having the car I noticed a weird clicking sound that sounded like a lifter, so I go and check the oil on my car and found out it was running on a spec of oil for the two weeks I had it(800 miles) I notified the dealer ASAP and they added 4qts of oil to it, they told me to bring it in a couple days to the service department to run diagnostics, I went back a couple days later and a lady told me to bring the car back in 1000 miles after they added to oil and a couple days after that the car started making the clicking noise even louder and doesn't seem to run as smooth. I took it back to the dealer so they can inspection it, I feel like I've been screwed because they have me the car with practically no oil and I'm pretty sure it's caused some serious damage to my engine, what should I do?
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I understand that it's not "normal". I was pointing to the number of threads here on the forum with others reporting this flaw.
You have seen other threads where cars were delievered 4qt's low?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
First of all.... This is a complete lack in their service dept. This is the reason why dealerships do PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) and I'm not the sharpest knife... but a car doesn't lose 4+ qrts of oil sitting still on the lot.

Go back to the dealer and ask to see the PDI and safety inspection....they should have a checklist that a tech has to sign off on stating the car was ready for sale.

second.... file a claim with GM... from the dealership with the service manager. I wouldn't take anything less than a new car.
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #19
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
You have seen other threads where cars were delievered 4qt's low?
Yes.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Your issue is a common one with the v6 motor. There are many threads here that discuss oil consumption issues identical to yours. Have a look around.

Sorry to hear about your issue so soon into ownership.
No - the issue that's common with the v6 motor was specifically to 2010-2011 and had to do with oil consumption. The issue has not been common with the release of the 2012 LFX v6. Likewise, it's not a common issue for V6s to be delivered from the factory low on oil.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
SeriouslySinning

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT 3.6 V6
In the first month or so owning my 2LT (LFX) I had to add quarts of oil. I have heard this to be an issue.

I have been taught to check the oil on every fill up when dealing with a brand new car.

Seriously Sinning - "Veronica"
Commandment 11 - Thou shall not travel slowly.
SeriouslySinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
Aspare

Drives: Awesome
I'm trying to get a new car or at least a new engine I don't want them to have to fix up my engine 3 weeks into owning my car
Aspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
Def contact GM customer service. Happened to me with my Cadillac CTS and Cadillac wanted to charge me a ton of money to rebuild my engine. I called GM Customer Service, and once they're on your side they will make sure you are satisfied. I got my rebuilt motor at no cost to me and a free rental for the time it was being fixed. Granted I did have the bumper to bumper but what happened to you was not your fault. It was Chevy's fault. I wouldn't keep driving it like they are saying to do, tell them you did not cause the problem and that you want a new car or engine.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #24
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I am a Camaro guy, through and through. But, there really is no excuse for a car to use that much oil. Likesie there is no excus ethis should be missed at the time the vehicle was delivered to the dealer.

Take no prisoners. This need to be made righ!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #25
Aspare

I got the car back today they told me everything is fine and that the report which I have on paper of how muh oil they out inside was a mistake and was not 4qts and that they actually only put in 1qt which is bs because the dipstick only had a small spec of oil, and now i just noticed that they scratched up my car while they had it.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
If the dipstick had a spec of oil on it, then you were down a quart, maybe a quart and a half. Certainly not 4 quarts.

If you were driving it and down a quart of oil, there more than likely is no damage to your engine unless you put thousands of miles on it that way, then there may be some accelerated wear.

All engines use oil, its impossible to get a perfect seal on the piston rings. What has happened in the changeover from changing your oil every 3000 miles to changing it when the car tells you is that now people are getting 4-6000 miles per oil change and during that time its possible to have the vehicle get down to the add mark on the dipstick, which means you are a quart low. In the old days you usually ended up changing the oil before you got to the add mark, although the sealing technology and machining technology wasn't as good then either. Engines can run a quart low as long as you are not racing or running high rpms.

That said, no excuse for not doing proper PDI.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Agreed....if it's just 1qt, it's probably fine, just keep an eye on it in case there is more of an issue.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #28
Aspare

My point was that it was a lie there is no way it was only 1qt the reason he changed the story now is because I'm requesting a new car, the first
Time I took it to the service team he told me the oil was really low and he had to add 4qts and now he's saying he only had to add 1 it's complete bull shit and they're trying to save there asses, this dealership is really shady